Problem with upgrading PHP on a VPS

I am currently upgrading my PHP on my unmanaged VPS. From PHP4 to PHP 5. I have been following the following website tutorial at nix101.com/2007/09/22/setting-up-a-secure-and-fast-php-build-for-litespeed/ on how to do it for the litespeed server of which I have got installed.

But now I have come to the stage where it says Make, Make Install. And I keep on getting the following error messages coming up

Make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Make Install: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I have got running on it Centos 4 and I have just installed Yum to see if that sorts out the problem. But it don't.

So any suggestions on how to sort out the make, and make install so that I can finish configing PHP.

Thanks

I think it's easier to use yum to install php 5 (binary) without the need to compile it.
    For more up to date packages I'm using the repository here www . jasonlitka.com/yum-repository/

Quote Originally Posted by mike_wt View Post
    I think it's easier to use yum to install php 5 (binary) without the need to compile it.
    For more up to date packages I'm using the repository here www . jasonlitka.com/yum-repository/
    If I did that, and later on if I need to install other stuff that I needs to compile. Would I still get the same problem with make and make install with it?

If it's not working with the PHP stuff?

Did you run ./configure with the options you want? Did configure finish?
    WebServerMasters-Personal Support for Sites and Servers
    TutorialMasters - Tutorials Designed for You

You probably have better luck asking this on litespeed forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStalker View Post
    If I did that, and later on if I need to install other stuff that I needs to compile. Would I still get the same problem with make and make install with it?

If it's not working with the PHP stuff?
    If you were thinking about the php extensions they are available in binary format from the same repository. If you need to compile a new version of an extension (for example) you can use the php source available as rpms.

If you still want to compile php I think it's still easier to use the rpms to do it.

IIRC, PHP5 is part of the CentosPlus repository..

Check your yum.repos.d/Centos-Base.repo for this, you will then need to enable it..
    Carl Pickering, Line3 Internet
    http://www.line3.co.uk
    UK VPS Provider; 99.98% uptime