Thread: pure-ftp ?

Question pure-ftp ?

Hi,

I have pure-ftp server.

I have checked some ftp failure login attempt made but when i check log file but only see real ip address which is external ip address but i want to trace main ip so anyone tell me howto trace that ip address.

Not sure what you mean? You only see the real ip address but you want to trace the main ip?
    www.NixDevs.com : The Linux Engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeyo View Post
    Not sure what you mean? You only see the real ip address but you want to trace the main ip?
    I mean to say that ,

any one try ftp through fake ip or private ip but in log file i can see only real ip or public ip so can any one tell me howto trace ip address from where he or she attempt failure logins.

Quote Originally Posted by map007 View Post
    I mean to say that ,

any one try ftp through fake ip or private ip but in log file i can see only real ip or public ip so can any one tell me howto trace ip address from where he or she attempt failure logins.
    That is going to be a bit hard. If the person is using a proxy or some sort of fake ip address to connect to your ftp server. the log file will only log that current ip address. If you can find out what his MAC address is then you could try to contact that ISP where the ip address is coming from and tell them the MAC address that was used.

Good luck!

That is going to be a bit hard. If the person is using a proxy or some sort of fake ip address to connect to your ftp server. the log file will only log that current ip address. If you can find out what his MAC address is then you could try to contact that ISP where the ip address is coming from and tell them the MAC address that was used.

Good luck!
    Thank you feeyo........

one another question.

howto forcefully restart the server local and remote both.

Thank you.

/etc/init.d/pure-ftp restart

And if the process does not want to restart just kill it. killall -9 pure-ftp
    Then start the process again.

/etc/init.d/pure-ftp restart

And if the process does not want to restart just kill it. killall -9 pure-ftp
    Then start the process again.
    Hi Feeyo ,

I m not asking for ftp
    i m asking for howto force fully restart linux server (machine) local and remote both.

Question CGI error ?

Hi,

I have configure one account and run cgi file but when i run that file i m getting error -------->

scgiwrap: Caller must be uid 99
    ----------------------------------------------------

Now can anyone tell me where i m getting mistack .

Thanks

Hi Feeyo ,

I m not asking for ftp
    i m asking for howto force fully restart linux server (machine) local and remote both.
    Well you can force a reboot with commands:
    reboot
    shutdown -r now

To do this remotly without logging in try using a APC remote reboot dongle.

I have pure-ftp server.

I have checked some ftp failure login attempt made but when i check log file but only see real ip address which is external ip address but i want to trace main ip so anyone tell me howto trace that ip address.
    Every day, people try to hack into my boxes. The same will happen to you. You can't make them stop by contacting their ISP's (wasting your time). However, you can harden your system so they can't get in:
    - Make sure you require your ftp users to use SSL/TLS encrypted logins.
    - Make sure the login name/password are unique and hard to guess.
    - Require passwords use both alpha and numeric characters.
    - Disable remote root login.
    - Configure your firewall to block attacks (drop packets after 3 failed login attempts).

Don't bother chasing the IP of a hacker. Good ones will use somebody else's box to hack into yours. Most ISP's don't do anything anyways, so a good defense is best.