How can I evaluate the services of my hosting provider?

Hello,
    I have a managed dedicated server in England, but I have no idea about the quality of services I get from the person that does the management of my server.
    Unfortunately I do not have the technical knowledge to evaluate it by myself. The server looks fast but I am not sure whether it is optimised for security, protection from spammers, etc.
    Is there a way to find out if everything has been setup in the best possible way? Can this be done without giving access to the server?
    Thank you for any replies.

John_Greek

I think there are some external security scans available on the net, but that won't provide you with much data; there should be some programs you can run on your server that give you a detailed review on your system's security.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

You can have a security expert do an audit. However that will run you more than a year worth of management fees.

What you could do is search for a well known and reputable company that offers management. Ask them to one-time secure your server as well, and get back to you about what they did and why. They could either return with "Nothing to be done - all was fine"...or a big list which indicates your current guy is not doing his job properly. This trick would cost you maybe around $100 or so.
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

Doesn't the person that manages your server, informs you for the changes that he does? Maybe you can hire another person for an one time fee to have a look and see if everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
    You can have a security expert do an audit. However that will run you more than a year worth of management fees.

What you could do is search for a well known and reputable company that offers management. Ask them to one-time secure your server as well, and get back to you about what they did and why. They could either return with "Nothing to be done - all was fine"...or a big list which indicates your current guy is not doing his job properly. This trick would cost you maybe around $100 or so.
    Wouldn't that be very bad for business on the management company's part? He pays them and they do nothing. Not something any company would want to report to their customer. I mean even if they do nothing they'll probably feed him some bull about how their experts analyzed the system or something.

Hello,
    I have a managed dedicated server in England, but I have no idea about the quality of services I get from the person that does the management of my server.
    Unfortunately I do not have the technical knowledge to evaluate it by myself. The server looks fast but I am not sure whether it is optimised for security, protection from spammers, etc.
    Is there a way to find out if everything has been setup in the best possible way? Can this be done without giving access to the server?
    Thank you for any replies.
    Have you got what you wanted and what you paid for? If yes - I think that evrything ok.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

If your site is critical and you need to have a good sleep everyday, i'd highly recommend to hire services of something like touchsupport to admin your server..

they will take care of security etc and you can also discuss with them to manage your backups etc..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com