Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Here my hosting requirements and contents, which host can serve? BlueHost? OR???

Dear all,

I'm a new member who found this great forum for hosting stuff. Thanks for everyone here!

First of all I apologize in advance for this long post. I have to write all details because I'm serious about having a good hosting service.

Currently, I'm hosting my basic site with a hosting company that I don't prefer to mention it's name. There are many bad things about them;

- Large number of database errors (MySql timeouts and connection errors)

- Untrained customer support staff because sometimes they give very silly and unbelievable replies, and sometimes they do not have enough knowledge to answer or solve simple problem.

- Their staff do not care enough. For example if they are stuck and don't know how to solve a problem, they just don't reply and leave tickets open.

- Without any prior notification, they perform sudden restores if something goes wrong in their servers. The bad thing is, sometimes they restore a 2 weeks old back-up, which means every 2 week old content will be deleted including hundreds of forum posts, emails, html pages, etc.

I have been with them around 3 years. As usually known about many hosting companies, the first 1 year is great, but I got the problem stated above at the beginning of the second year and I think that's enough, my visitors are leaving my site...

Anyway I'm planning to extremely extend my site with more contents and I think the current hosting provider cannot handle my needs. My plan is to move during June 2008 so that I have enough time to look for a really good service. I'll leave you with following details.

=====================

::: My Site's Contents :::

1. A PHP-based forum : vBulletin® (via one MySql)

2. A PHP-based website (via more than one MySql)

3. A PHP-based upload/download system for visitor's public use (via one MySql)

4. A PHP-based guest book (may or may not use MySql)

5. A PHP-based photo gallery / album (via one MySql)

::: Technical Requirements :::

1. Expected amount of monthly bandwidth usage = 500GB - 750GB per month

2. Minimum disk space needed = 500GB

3. Minimum MySql databases needed = 25

4. Streaming support for audio and video files including Real products

5. Support for Flash, Shockwave, and all other common multi-media files

6. Ability to add our own MIME types

7. Daily extreme access to the vBulletin® forum via MySql (expected around 150 online users at the same time)

8. Daily heavy downloads of audio & video files

9. Unlimited URL redirects

10. Additional FTP accounts for at least 500 users/ sub-users

11. Domain pointing management for at least 5 domains (can be pointed as Add-on Domains OR Parked Domains)

12. Password-protection for directories

13. Reasonable email accounts

14. Backup and restore tools for the home directory and all other contents such as the MySql databases

15. Secure Shell (SSH) access

=====================

I am seriously thinking about BLUEHOST. My budget is less than $10/month. But if it's really needed to pay for real quality, I would say no more than $13/month.

I would like also to add the following summary to get a feedback from you about BLUEHOST, please, about whether this is true or not

::: Positive things I heard and read about BLUEHOST :::

- They have very helpful, well-trained and friendly customer support staff.

- Most of technical features are great (High bandwidth, large storage, security, etc)

- According to their high quality service, their price is very cheap and competitive

::: Negative things I heard and read about BLUEHOST :::

- BlueHost is NOT perfect for MySql databases, even for normal usage (such as my case 150 users online at the same time). This will affect their CPU resourses and they will shut your site off!

- Because of the expected downtime in their MySql databases, BlueHost is not suitable for professional "real", reliable business. It is very good for little sites such as personal blogs.

- They will host your site is a server "Box", which can make you lucky or entirely unlucky. If that box is new and doesn't have many sites on it, it will be great. However, if it is busy and many sites on it, it will be bloody bad!

- A bad business strategy about the "Box" is that BlueHost hosts new customers in new "Boxes" which have no problems and no heavy load. By this customers will be satisfied having no issues during the first period. This means that they defiantly won't ask for cancellation or money refund, and they will continue with BlueHost. Once the time goes further, that "Box" will have much load and will be given to old customers, and then suffering begins!

=====================

Important note: I will not use horrible scripts in my site, they are all checked and validated via 3WC standards. Also I'll use the last updated version of vBulletin forum script. So there won't be serious problems from my side.

If you think my needs will not fit on BLUEHOST, then what's the alternative?

Thanks in advance

Hello

Hope you are fine there

well first of all i wanted to let you know that , i dont think any shared host will allow you to use that much resources , you can try blue host but these big companies oversell like hell , and if you using that much resources then i dont think that any shared hosting environment will suits you...so i suggest you to go with Vps for a smooth and good journey :-)

Just A Suggestion , Rest Its Upto you

With Respect
    Rounak

Edit : what is your site url ?
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Find yourself a decent powerful shared host that does not oversell .

as they say if yo pay peanuts you get monkeys
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

if some host don't oversell then also i dont think anyone can truly provide

500GB - 750GB Bandwith per month

& Minimum disk space 500GB

In Above Mentioned Rates

desilime I'm really glad that you responded very quickly

Anyway I thought about VPS many times but unfortunately I won't be able to pay for it

Ok let's limit my needs, I would say that the main content includes:

1. A PHP-based forum : vBulletin® (via one MySql)

2. A PHP-based website (via more than one MySql)

3. A PHP-based guest book (may or may not use MySql)

So NO galley, NO upload center. But let's say I'll still have about 150 online users using forum and website. As you can see I don't need that unlimited bandwidth or storage. The point is CPU resources that database use.

About the current site, I'm canceling it and releasing the domain. My plan now is to re-open in an all-new site...

I spent months reading reviews and horrible stories about even top hosting: BlueHost, HostGator, HostMonster, LunarPages, IPOWER, IX. And none of them didn't have terrible stories! Every time I get more confused! ammm but I saw that BH got the lowest number of complains.

Thanks again, and I really appreciate your reply

If you cannot afford a VPS at least, it will be very hard to find a reliable shared hosting package to feet your need.

Quote Originally Posted by amdcomms View Post
    Find yourself a decent powerful shared host that does not oversell .

as they say if yo pay peanuts you get monkeys
    Thank you very much amdcomms ok do you have any suggestions regarding such powerful shared host?

Quote Originally Posted by desilime View Post
    if some host don't oversell then also i dont think anyone can truly provide

500GB - 750GB Bandwith per month

& Minimum disk space 500GB

In Above Mentioned Rates
    Thanks again desilime,

If my case gets worse and found my self having no choice, I would pay around $15/month and try to minimize my requirements (say 100GB disk space & 500GB). This if I really found myself stuck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hosteur View Post
    If you cannot afford a VPS at least, it will be very hard to find a reliable shared hosting package to feet your need.
    Thanks mate for your advice...

I think VPS is the last choice at the moment because as I said I can't offer its price. But yea you're right that logically only VPS is ideal and really reliable. But first I'm trying as much as I can to get reasonable shared host.

Well, you could do a try with iweb: http://iweb.com/web-hosting/

Sorry, but in this day and age, NO host can give you 500 GB of disk space and 750 GB of bandwidth, especially for a site that uses a lot of scripts, CPU cycles, memory usage, and database queries on such a large one, for anywhere near $13/mo. If you try, you're either going to be disappointed from host to host, or you'll find out that you've over-exaggerated what you will actually need and use, which is good, because a hopeful view on what you'll use and how popular you will be, compared to what you actually use, is the only reason why someone could or would be okay with hosting you for around $13/mo.

In other words, if you really use that much space and bandwidth, then just wanting some host to be able to actually provide you with service doesn't make it anymore likely. Ask as you might, it's simply not going to happen. If you have that sort of usage, you must be willing and able to spend the money it takes to get on a server that can handle it (meaning a high end VPS, a semi-dedicated or low to medium end dedicated server).

There is no way around it currently, and sometimes people just don't have the money to host the sites they want to host. However, there are sometimes solutions, such as asking your member base to donate or charge for some services or features, so you can have the community members you host help pay for or offset the hosting fees.

I think Dreamhost is the only shared company that would even dream (get it) of letting you use that much. They've got reliablilty issues, but you're definitely not going to get much for $13. In fact, I'm using a VPS for 2 small Wordpress installs and soon to be a drupal site all with low usage requirements because of downtime and CS issues at all of the shared hosts I have used:
    1and1, Dreamhost, Bluehost

Good luck
    --
    Alex Conner
    http://codatory.com

I honestly don't think your going to have much luck at $10/mo.

With the amount of resources your using, after a month or two, your still going to be dissatisfied with anyones services.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Kindly post your site url or pm me.... so that i can find the real condition of your site and your requirement and then i can suggest something which suits in your budget :-)

Hope this Helps
    Cheers

As others stated, your requirements vs budget do not fit and you will probably end up with a suspended web site with shared hosting. If you cannot find the money to pay a VPS or a little low end server, I would suggest you try to get a host to sponsor a dedicated server or a VPS if you have a significant amount of quality visitors.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Quote Originally Posted by atchoooo View Post
    As others stated, your requirements vs budget do not fit and you will probably end up with a suspended web site with shared hosting. If you cannot find the money to pay a VPS or a little low end server, I would suggest you try to get a host to sponsor a dedicated server or a VPS if you have a significant amount of quality visitors.
    Yup Great Idea To Work With :-) this can surely help you

Getting a sponsor isn't that easy, but depends on your niche. What is the site about?
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Greer View Post
    Sorry, but in this day and age, NO host can give you 500 GB of disk space and 750 GB of bandwidth, especially for a site that uses a lot of scripts, CPU cycles, memory usage, and database queries on such a large one, for anywhere near $13/mo. If you try, you're either going to be disappointed from host to host, or you'll find out that you've over-exaggerated what you will actually need and use, which is good, because a hopeful view on what you'll use and how popular you will be, compared to what you actually use, is the only reason why someone could or would be okay with hosting you for around $13/mo.

In other words, if you really use that much space and bandwidth, then just wanting some host to be able to actually provide you with service doesn't make it anymore likely. Ask as you might, it's simply not going to happen. If you have that sort of usage, you must be willing and able to spend the money it takes to get on a server that can handle it (meaning a high end VPS, a semi-dedicated or low to medium end dedicated server).

There is no way around it currently, and sometimes people just don't have the money to host the sites they want to host. However, there are sometimes solutions, such as asking your member base to donate or charge for some services or features, so you can have the community members you host help pay for or offset the hosting fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    I honestly don't think your going to have much luck at $10/mo.

With the amount of resources your using, after a month or two, your still going to be dissatisfied with anyones services.
    Thank you very much Tim and ephasenetworks for these advises and I appreciate them although they are kind of disappointing. I'm glad that you are honest about your expectations.

I think I will increase my budget, there is no other way. Please see the next post. Thanks

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by alxconn View Post
    I think Dreamhost is the only shared company that would even dream (get it) of letting you use that much. They've got reliablilty issues, but you're definitely not going to get much for $13. In fact, I'm using a VPS for 2 small Wordpress installs and soon to be a drupal site all with low usage requirements because of downtime and CS issues at all of the shared hosts I have used:
    1and1, Dreamhost, Bluehost

Good luck
    About dreamhost, bluehost, etc I found a lot of negative reviews even by people who have small databases and websites. I think I better don't go with overselling companies.

I may put those in my list especially if my budget dies..

Thank you alxconn for being here

Oooooh This is interesting! I didn't know about them. The exciting thing is that I can get more MySql resources if I pay more! I'll think about it seriously.

Have you got any experience with them recently???

Thank you hosteur

Kindly post your site url or pm me.... so that i can find the real condition of your site and your requirement and then i can suggest something which suits in your budget :-)

Hope this Helps
    Cheers
    ammmmmm buddy that would make me blush lol. at this stage I don't prefer to view it because it's still little (only html pages + little forum: 50 users online at a given time)

Yes I'll move my site's "name", but with a completely different and new content.

Thanks friend

Quote Originally Posted by atchoooo View Post
    Yup Great Idea To Work With :-) this can surely help you
    Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    Getting a sponsor isn't that easy, but depends on your niche. What is the site about?
    The fact is that I don't like to annoy my visitors buy putting large banner for the sponser lol ... I like clear flat pages.

Now no problem, I managed to pay more !!! Please see the next post.

Thanks

Lets summerize my stuff in 2 options :

1. A shared host that doesn't oversell, and gives flexible options such as paying more for better CPU/memory/resources.
    For this, I can pay about $10 - $15 per month.

2. A managed VPS host (takes care of all server side software, update, etc).
    For this, I can pay about $25 - $50 per month.

I hope I get some recommendations about very trusted and reliable hosts for both options.

The requirements are EXACTLY same as those I posted at the beginning of thread, EXCEPT that I can reduce disk space and bandwidth (if needed) as follows:

- Disk space = at LEAST 50 GB
    - Bandwidth = at LEAST 500 GB

Thank you very much

Hi mate, I've just chatted with them asking them some questions. They amazingly respond so quickly!!! But unfortunately they said:

1. SSH access is not allowd, and for restoring back ups we can restore for you as required.

2. Audio and Video streaming is not allowed because it takes many resources form their servers!

first point can be acceptable if they will do a restore required. BUT the second one is very stranger! I haven't heard about any host that doesn't allow streaming...

ammmmm every thing is nice except streaming problem.
    Oh I'm just unlucky

Quote Originally Posted by ebrahim View Post
    Hi mate, I've just chatted with them asking them some questions. They amazingly respond so quickly!!! But unfortunately they said:

1. SSH access is not allowd, and for restoring back ups we can restore for you as required.

2. Audio and Video streaming is not allowed because it takes many resources form their servers!

first point can be acceptable if they will do a restore required. BUT the second one is very stranger! I haven't heard about any host that doesn't allow streaming...

ammmmm every thing is nice except streaming problem.
    Oh I'm just unlucky

That's sad man...
    WEB.COM.PH | Domain Name Registration | Web Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    Peso Web Hosting. For Pinoys. Made Easy. Visit www.web.com.ph now!
    Email us @ support[at]web.com.ph

BUT the second one is very stranger! I haven't heard about any host that doesn't allow streaming...
    Majority of shared hosting provider wouldn't allow any activity which will eat shared resources (that will include *streaming) - unless stated otherwise and possibly at higher rate than standard shared hosting.

Better for both of you and them because they told you earlier, then receive your payment, and suspend your account 1 or 2 months later
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

Looking at the original requirements, and only willing to pay $10/month is a bit of a joke is you take your site seriously. If your forum will have over 100 online visitors at any time, this will definitely bring in more than $10 a month in advertising.

What annoys me, is that shared hosting is the lowest standard of hosting (therefore cheapest), yet people expect the world out of it, and 100% reliability.

Not $10, and not even $50, will be able to give you the kind of service your after.

However, it might not all be bad, if these are all just expected needs, not already occurring traffic levels. In that case, $10-$20 shared hosting may very well still be an option, and while your site(s) are growing, you could place emphasis on making them self sustainable, by selling advertising and/or charging users, accepting donations from visitors, finding sponsors, etc.

The truly safe environment for the usage you predict is a dedicated server, with the main culprit being the number of simultaneous visitors you expect on your applications (forums, galleries etc). So, start small, and prepare financially for the growth.

Try to find a partner and get a vps or dedicated server.

Actually i am also almost there in ur situation. What i need is heavy bandwidth (2000gb a month) and reasonable mysql and php usage. As i dont have any forums installed, i have only one wordpress installed with no addons which gets around 10,000 users a day. I hope that i can find a good shared or vps today for these requirements.

I'm going to agree with most everyone else as well. Your expectations of a shared hosting account are not realistic. Using that kind of resources on a shared account will most likely get your account suspended.

You will need to increase your budget quite a bit to meet your needs. A high end VPS would probably work well for you.

Mike

Are you sure that even with a $50 a month (shared/VPS) cannot give me what I want?

This is very disappointing!

Try vps at echoservers.com. i heard that, they never oversell their servers.

I see that Virpus has a VPS in your price range with the bandwidth, etc. that you need. It comes semi-managed, and you can upgrade to basic managment for $10, plus a control panel, directadmin and lxadmin are free, but if you need cpanel, you're gonna be paying another $8 / month.

Having said that, I haven't tried them yet, as I am waiting on my VPS to be provisioned. There have been some complications with getting their new servers configured, but they have been very transparent and great to work with.
    Last edited by boonchuan; 05-14-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: edited out the affilate link
    --
    Alex Conner
    http://codatory.com

Well, the 50 gigs of disk space isn't out of the question on shared hosting, but the 500 gigs+ of bandwidth is that will be the breaking point. It just sounds like overall, it will be too CPU/memory resource intensive for shared hosting, so you'll need to seek out a semi-dedicated, VPS or dedicated server. The VPS and semi-dedicated options are maybe within a $40-$50/mo. price range that could handle the processing and disk space, so as long as the bandwidth falls in line (which it might), you can perhaps pull this off. But, it really depends on the restrictions and limits and how much processing you will (and can) use. There are also lower end dedicated servers that come with about 500G to 1TB+ per month of bandwidth and a 250 gig+ drive for about $70/mo. or so, which would be the best solution. I think you can find something, but you also might need to sacrifice a few things if you intend to try a shared host.

For example, you said you don't want to use a massive overseller, which is probably good, but a regular shared provider isn't going to give away bandwidth either, though I think the 50 gigs space is doable the bandwidth is another issue. Perhaps a shared provider will have the 500 G BW to spare, but that could also be several normal accounts for the same price, so it doesn't become financially wise. Some things are physically there and have the limits they have, but bandwidth is just allocated and their upstream or data center will charge accordingly after overage fees, and that's where the primary issue comes into play, assuming everything else is in line and doable.

The requirements are EXACTLY same as those I posted at the beginning of thread, EXCEPT that I can reduce disk space and bandwidth (if needed) as follows:

- Disk space = at LEAST 50 GB
    - Bandwidth = at LEAST 500 GB

Thank you very much
    Hello,

I am very sorry to be the one to say this to you, but, someone has to...

If you want to push 500 GB of transfer (or even close to it) towards application hosting - ie things like VB, Joomla, etc... with 100's of simultaneous users, etc...

Forget shared hosting - PERIOD - no one can accommodate that - even the providers that specialize in such things. You will notice that most providers that specialize in application hosting will have packages much much smaller then other providers...

for this sort of resource requirements, most VPS solutions cannot accommodate either..

at this point, you do need a dedicated server.

maybe if you shop for what you actually need (ie lets say you are currently pushing 75 GB of transfer) you will be able to find a good quality shared provider to accommodate you, but, your budget for that sort of package should be anywhere from $40-$125

if you do not have that sort of budget and honestly require that much space and bandwidth, then you have no other option then to go with one of the unlimited/massive plan provider and deal with the resultant issues...

Quote Originally Posted by kriss007 View Post
    Try vps at echoservers.com. i heard that, they never oversell their servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by alxconn View Post
    I see that Virpus has a VPS in your price range with the bandwidth, etc. that you need. It comes semi-managed, and you can upgrade to basic managment for $10, plus a control panel, directadmin and lxadmin are free, but if you need cpanel, you're gonna be paying another $8 / month.

Having said that, I haven't tried them yet, as I am waiting on my VPS to be provisioned. There have been some complications with getting their new servers configured, but they have been very transparent and great to work with.
    Thank you very much for those 2 companies. Sure I'll try to search for some reviews about them. In case you're currently using a good VPS, please let me know about your experience. Cheers
    Last edited by boonchuan; 05-14-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: edited out alxconn affiliate link

Well, the 50 gigs of disk space isn't out of the question on shared hosting, but the 500 gigs+ of bandwidth is that will be the breaking point. It just sounds like overall, it will be too CPU/memory resource intensive for shared hosting, so you'll need to seek out a semi-dedicated, VPS or dedicated server. The VPS and semi-dedicated options are maybe within a $40-$50/mo. price range that could handle the processing and disk space, so as long as the bandwidth falls in line (which it might), you can perhaps pull this off. But, it really depends on the restrictions and limits and how much processing you will (and can) use. There are also lower end dedicated servers that come with about 500G to 1TB+ per month of bandwidth and a 250 gig+ drive for about $70/mo. or so, which would be the best solution. I think you can find something, but you also might need to sacrifice a few things if you intend to try a shared host.

For example, you said you don't want to use a massive overseller, which is probably good, but a regular shared provider isn't going to give away bandwidth either, though I think the 50 gigs space is doable the bandwidth is another issue. Perhaps a shared provider will have the 500 G BW to spare, but that could also be several normal accounts for the same price, so it doesn't become financially wise. Some things are physically there and have the limits they have, but bandwidth is just allocated and their upstream or data center will charge accordingly after overage fees, and that's where the primary issue comes into play, assuming everything else is in line and doable.
    Great! Thanks buddy, you added some information that I don't know.

But actually I didn't understand what you meant by "spare" when you said:

Perhaps a shared provider will have the 500 G BW to spare

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    Hello,

I am very sorry to be the one to say this to you
    No problem I'm happy as long as I get good feedback from everyone here. Thanks anyway CartikaHosting

Actually yea I found difficulty regarding matching between all my requirements, sometimes I find large disk space but little bandwidth.

ammmmmm I finally found this VPS provider, it seems to be trusted and reliable and I read many positive reviews on it. If anyone here want to have a look, here is the link:

http://www.servint.net/vps/details.php#essential

VPS essential plan. It has really small disk space (15GB). But if it is really reliable with respect to resources, I'll get it! especially they guarantee over 300 MB RAM.

What do you think? Any EXPERIENCE or even EXPECTATION about them are welcome. (e.g. do you think that over 300MB RAM would handle a couple of hundred online users, etc)

Thank in advance.

Sometimes a host will not want to add too many more clients to a server and still have extra bandwidth left because the number of clients is close to their max they will load the server with, so if the average clients leave 500G to 1TB of BW per month unused, but the processing only allows for a few more clients to safely be added to the server, they might take on a more large usage client, perhaps even in exchange for some sponsorship mention if your site is popular. So, this is what I was sort of referring to when I said if they have the spare bandwidth. Obviously your site is out of range for a shared server, but it could work and perhaps under a circumstance such as that. You never know, but I'd agree that even a VPS is likely out of the range, though some can be suitable with those specs (but it's what you need at a minimum regardless).

It seems, now u r very much careful choosing a good hosting company. Let us know, where u ended up, and what made u choose that hosting company.

Sometimes a host will not want to add too many more clients to a server and still have extra bandwidth left because the number of clients is close to their max they will load the server with, so if the average clients leave 500G to 1TB of BW per month unused, but the processing only allows for a few more clients to safely be added to the server, they might take on a more large usage client, perhaps even in exchange for some sponsorship mention if your site is popular. So, this is what I was sort of referring to when I said if they have the spare bandwidth. Obviously your site is out of range for a shared server, but it could work and perhaps under a circumstance such as that. You never know, but I'd agree that even a VPS is likely out of the range, though some can be suitable with those specs (but it's what you need at a minimum regardless).
    I got it. Thank you for the clarifications

Quote Originally Posted by kriss007 View Post
    It seems, now u r very much careful choosing a good hosting company. Let us know, where u ended up, and what made u choose that hosting company.
    Yesss of course!

Guess what! After I carefully read all the replies, I seriously thought about it last night, and I finally realized that a shared host just doesn't suit me.

So now, VPS or Dedicated/ Semi-Dedicated FOR SURE!

Do you guys now recommend that I post my requirements again in VPS or dedicated forum? Or I just continue here?

Thanks

I'd move over to the dedicated forum.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

If you're after a VPS now, you'd get the right attention and replies in the VPS forum. I'd start a thread there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast