What is the going price for Bandwidth?

For people buying there own circuits what are the going rates for bandwidth for different ethernet connections?

In our market (Seattle, WA, USA) I mostly see $20-$30 per megabit when shopping ~100mb-over-Gig-E.

Yes, you can get it cheaper, and yes, you can pay more, (usually involving mid-tier carriers or oddball contracts at the low end or just AT&T at the $high end) but that is the peak of the bell curve around here when shopping the "big" carriers.

I think the more relevant question is have bandwidth prices hit bottom and started going up again? Or has the sweet spot just continued to move higher and higher up the volume scale now that 10G is becoming available?
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

curent market is anywhere from 10-20/mbps on 200-500meg commits and 7-12mbps on full gig or gig commits on 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
    For people buying there own circuits what are the going rates for bandwidth for different ethernet connections?
    That all depends on where you are and where your servers are.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Quote Originally Posted by network82 View Post
    That all depends on where you are and where your servers are.
    I was operating under the assumption that he had access to providers.

Of course if you aren't in a facility that is 'on-net' for providers expect to pay some nice loop charges ontop of the per mbps fees

We have had offers of $15/meg over GigE for 100mbps commits with Tier 1s, and considerably less when going to the regional ISPs, on smaller CDRs (n the UK market).

InterNap & Level @ $12/mbps, capped at any level, @colo offer section of WHT;

Cogent & HE @ ~$800-900 for full 100Mbps; $5K-$7K for full GigE

nowadays it's not really expensive.

$800-900 for a full 100mbps? wow. you must have the right contacts, more info please.

but who is the best value from tier1? or do you pick up two carriers at $8-900 and just load balance?

Quote Originally Posted by shunter1 View Post
    $800-900 for a full 100mbps? wow. you must have the right contacts, more info please.

but who is the best value from tier1? or do you pick up two carriers at $8-900 and just load balance?
    that's what I have heard here @ WHT. I haven't signed anything yet, although I am constantly hunting for good deals as well.

Let us know what market you are in, preferred carrier hotel and estimated commit. The number greatly fluctuates based on the above factors and more.

Quote Originally Posted by RonyZ View Post
    Cogent & HE @ ~$800-900 for full 100Mbps; $5K-$7K for full GigE
    $5k for gigabit flatfee is a special from HE.net and only for providers who will announce both IPV4 and IPV6 netblocks and it is limited to 1 circuit per customer.

You can get the $5k for a gig, if you are a Internet provider, this is correct. But there are restrictions and limitations on such a deal.

It also makes a very large difference if you want a flatfee or a burstable connection.

$7k for flatfee gigabit ethernet is possible with the lower quality carriers, but $7k for gigabit ethernet CDR on 2 gigabit or even 10 gigabit is not easy (maybe even impossible) to get.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by shunter1 View Post
    but who is the best value from tier1?
    Is TeliaSonera tier1 nowadays? if so, then TeliaSonera has a great value from price nowadays on really high CDR or if you buy the bandwidth from a good Telia reseller.

Cogent, Tiscali and HE are not Tier-1 for sure, but cheap. It shows however in their routing (a lot) in my experiences with them. From before mentioned three, Cogent is the best (of the three) overall (EMEA, ASIA and US). Tiscali decent in Europe, HEnet decent in the USA.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 05-12-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

I've seen bw from $3-250/meg depending on where you buy and how much. If you're buying 100Mbps of cheap BW I'd say expect to pay 10-30/meg.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    $5k for gigabit flatfee is a special from HE.net and only for providers who will announce both IPV4 and IPV6 netblocks and it is limited to 1 circuit per customer.

You can get the $5k for a gig, if you are a Internet provider, this is correct. But there are restrictions and limitations on such a deal.

It also makes a very large difference if you want a flatfee or a burstable connection.

$7k for flatfee gigabit ethernet is possible with the lower quality carriers, but $7k for gigabit ethernet CDR on 2 gigabit or even 10 gigabit is not easy (maybe even impossible) to get.
    True. but it's still a good option for bandwidth intensive users.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Is TeliaSonera tier1 nowadays? if so, then TeliaSonera has a great value from price nowadays on really high CDR or if you buy the bandwidth from a good Telia reseller.

Cogent, Tiscali and HE are not Tier-1 for sure, but cheap. It shows however in their routing (a lot) in my experiences with them. From before mentioned three, Cogent is the best (of the three) overall (EMEA, ASIA and US). Tiscali decent in Europe, HEnet decent in the USA.
    Yes, TeliaSonera AS1299 is now a tier-1 carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by appliedops View Post
    I've seen bw from $3-250/meg depending on where you buy and how much. If you're buying 100Mbps of cheap BW I'd say expect to pay 10-30/meg.
    This is right on.
    When I was searching for additional colo here in Phoenix, I was quoted $30/meg for Level3 and AT&T with a low 10mb commit. And I was quoted at other places up to $350/meg for the same. Crazy huh?
    WebHostingPeriod.com
    Affordable, Reliable Web Hosting.... Period!

Pricing varies from datacenter to datacenter.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

pricing does vary from datacenter to datacenter and carrier to carrier. I think pricing has stabalized in the past two years...
    -b

Quote Originally Posted by ollebanan View Post
    Yes, TeliaSonera AS1299 is now a tier-1 carrier.
    From what I can tell they currently aren't a Tier 1 as they purchase routes from a couple providers, last I checked. What evidence is there that this has changed? And please don't reference the Wikipedia article, which as a note links to an article that says TeliaSonera MAY be a Tier 1 carrier...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers