Just ordered special server from Nocster.net

It's a dual AMD 1.8 MP setup, with 2 GB ram and 36 gb scsi drive. They had to special order practically all of it, so it will be setup Monday. WIll let everyone know how it performs.

It's for a vbulletin server - the current one I have is at rackshack - it's on too wimpy a server and the CS has much to be desired. It crashes about 4x per day from overload, but to RS credit they handle reboot requests REALLY well (fast, usually within 30 mins).
    *noobie on the loose*

What are you paying (setup and monthly) for that server? Nocster's setup fees are pretty high, but their monthly prices are really low for a managed server.

- Matt

If you don't mind, what's your setup/monthly fee?

I have the same setup with nocster, except 2x9gb scsi drives.

did you get cpanel with it ? I might be interested in getting a nocster server.

popdirt how much did you pay for yours ? Wouldn't that realy nearly be the same as doing burst server's just with very slightly different bandwidth ?

$350mo/$550setup w/cpanel & 450gb... Not like burst though on support (no phone support & much longer support ticket answering I assume). I'm still waiting on my other GB of ram though.

I paid $1161 setup. The monthly cost is $199 and tha includes a remote reboot port and cpanel. They just emailed saying it would take a day longer than expected due to the manufacturer sending the parts more slowly than anticipated.
    *noobie on the loose*

More than $1000 in setup costs..

If i may ask, why didn't you just get a server and colo it?

I went that way for a few reasons:

1. I didn't want to be responsible for maintaining the hardware. Saving a few hundred dollars (at least that's about what I thought I might save) was not worth the potential headaches.
    2. I don't have the necessary know-how to install linux and get the server up to speed and running.
    3. They maintain all necessary software upgrades, which is another thing I think is worth a little extra up front for them to take care of, for me.
    *noobie on the loose*

Ya Ouch!,

I would have colo-ed. $1000 for setup is steeeeep. Is it completely managed?
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Not completely - they won't install custom software.
    *noobie on the loose*

Ya thats totally understandable. I wouldn't support custom software either.

But do they do:
    upgrades on all originally installed software ?
    Security patches?
    kernel upgrades
    give you uncharged support on original server software?
    etc....
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Even with the high setup, it's still such a good deal with the monthly fee being so low and it even includes CPanel. As long as you plan on staying with Nocster for a very long time then it's worth the high setup fee. But personally, with all the downtimes that Nocster is having, their network just isn't reliable enough.

Only $199 a month for dual AMD 1.8 MP processors, 2GB RAM and 36GB SCSI hard disks... now that's unbelievably cheap compared to the servers that we have with Rackspace that are dual AMD MP 2000+ processors, 1.5GB RAM and 2x 18GB SCSI hard disks. But the big difference in cost? Well I'm sure everyone will agree it's the network and the quality of service.

The setup cost is probably very close to what you'll also pay at Rackspace. My conclusion... it's a VERY good offer, especially if you need a high power server with sites that consume a lot of bandwidth.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

that's a good deal Garrett... I would've taken that deal if it were offered to me.

But do they do:
    upgrades on all originally installed software ?
    Security patches?
    kernel upgrades
    give you uncharged support on original server software?
    Hostkookster, yes, to all those questions. I asked them myself.
    *noobie on the loose*

If its convenient , then its all good.
    I guess you could easily fit 800 or so accounts on it. How much is an IDE 80g hd upgrade? (backups, and stuff)

Anantatman,

I have no idea for all that. I'm just hosting one site on it.
    *noobie on the loose*

Here's an update.

They were supposed to order the parts so that they came in last Saturday, and then they were to build it monday and it would "Be ready Monday as promised" as per Matt. Somehow the parts got delayed, and then shipped more slowly than normal, so that the parts didn't even come in until Tuesday.

So, they start building it about 2 pm their time. Matt promises me they're building it now, and it will be ready soon. Then Matt leaves without updating, and the BurstNET CSR knows nothing about my server, and can't get in touch with the person who built it. So, now I wait till tomorrow to see what the status is.

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats.
    *noobie on the loose*