Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* AlphaRed vs Choopa vs LeaseWeb - Who oversells the most?

Hey everyone, I am considering getting high bandwidth hosting from either alphared, choopa, or leaseweb, but before I do I would like to ask you which one would give me the best speeds, globally. Any other info that you can provide would be useful too. Thanks!

Also, if you can suggest another host for high bandwidth that is very reliable and has great ping results for the us, europe, and asia, i'd be interested.

Hello,

What type of hosting are you looking for - offshore? If offshore, then take a look at Shinjiru. You should try their speed tests if you want to test the network speed.
    Last edited by r2d3m; 05-11-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Define high bandwidth?

They all oversell a great deal.

which oversells the least amount and will give me the best speeds?

bandwidth is around 5gbit

Shinjiru is the worst of the worst. Every country, except signapore and china, gets pings >200ms with a minimum package loss of 50%

The best thing you can do is place a server on the West Coast and a server on the East Coast, to make sure you are covered on both sides. Be prepared to pay a hefty price if you want quality bandwidth though.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

What is your monthly budget?

there is no budget, as long as it is reasonable.

Have you check SoftLayer, they have 3 DCs, east, west and central...

I'm just curious, what exactly do you plan to deliver, since you said you need 5gbit worth of bandwidth, which is quite a lot.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Exactly. With those amounts it might even be profitable to place your servers/services close to the customers, and maybe even handle parts of the traffic using peering instead of transit.

For example: If your customers all are located in NL, you could get a 10Gbit port to the amsix for about 2000 a month. That would allow you to peer with pretty much all Dutch (and quite a couple european) for free. Compared to $50k for 5Gbit transit...
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by TRI_core View Post
    Also, if you can suggest another host for high bandwidth that is very reliable and has great ping results for the us, europe, and asia, i'd be interested.
    If you are looking for one place for all customers in the US, EU, Asia, might be central of the US is the best? Likes in Texas or Chicago. If you can separate your system, try one in Asia (like Hongkong, Singapore), one in EU and one in the US. That will be the best.

5 gigabits is some serious bandwidth, and probably in a different scope than your typical dedicated hosting. Many providers may not even be able to handle an extra 5Gbps without some major infrastructure upgrades.

First off, are you certain you need that much bandwidth? Are you currently already running that much bandwidth, or is this just a ballpark estimate for future growth?

If you don't have the means to manage equipment across multiple locations, and fast connectivity is important to you, you may be better off looking into CDN services.

which oversells the least amount and will give me the best speeds?

bandwidth is around 5gbit
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

I chose Alphared, Choopa, and LeaseWeb because they are the cheapest. I currently use an average of 3.8gbits of bandwidth, peaking at 4.5gbits. So, tell me more about the hosts I've mentioned, or if there's something better out there, let me know. Also, my traffic is random, 45% US, 5% CA, 5% UK, 5% Malaysia, and it just goes on and on.

I don't see how that will help, but it is serving large zip files, 180mb average.

You could consider a CDN, that would give you fast download speeds in all the continents you like to serve.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by starkana View Post
    I don't see how that will help, but it is serving large zip files, 180mb average.
    Detailing what it is that your serving will better allow others to assist you by providing suggestions based on their experiences with various providers.

There's quite a difference in serving basic static HTML pages and small content downloads and using up that much bandwidth versus serving large downloads with little to no content other than that required for its delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    You could consider a CDN, that would give you fast download speeds in all the continents you like to serve.

What is CDN?

What is CDN?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Delivery_Network

I see, but isn't that a little expensive!?

I don't know the specifics of your application/site but you could construct your own CDN and utilize a 3rd party (or your own) GeoIP based DNS service to distribute your load accross your 'network' of servers and spread those servers out accross the US hitting east, west, central. Even place a node in Europe and in Asia for the best service for local viewers to take advantage of local peering.

Not if you can commit to 5 gigabit traffic.
    What is your target price per mbit 95% anyway ?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

I've been offered rates as low as $5/mbps. I guess as long as it is below $6mbps, it is good?

Depends what you understand by "good".
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Alphared seems good
    Last edited by geedeedee; 05-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.

I've been offered rates as low as $5/mbps. I guess as long as it is below $6mbps, it is good?
    Too low. It is an unreasonably low price.
    Do not expect dedicated bandwidth or 100% uptime with that pricing.

I would recommend to budget more (8$ to 10$) per mbit and get a good performance and uptime with that 5 gigabit CDR.

Try peer1.com, they have DC across north america. But what you pay is what you get. You pay cheap, you expect cheap including customer service, lots of clients, and poor server performance. Running a data center is not cheap! Cheap providers will eventually going out of business.

I bet we will see CDN prices fall soon

Quote Originally Posted by intragrade View Post
    I bet we will see CDN prices fall soon
    Where can I find some cheap and reliable CDN out there? 100% uptime isn't manditory, there can be downtown every now and then, but the speeds would have to be FAST, and the costs would have to be so so-so.

CDN is mostly 99.9995 uptime I believe or it SHOULD be.

Really for 5GBIT someone is paying you money uptime should be always up for you. Downtime is bad for ANY business but sometimes is understandable. Maybe with the Internap prices around like FDC offering it at 12/mbit would be a good place to start off at?

Read about Internap though.

They say:
    All commit levels = $15/Mbit *plus the cost of the machine hardware
    that isn't cheap at all for 1gbit

soo that isn't that good

I think for 5 gbps commitment you should expect 8$ per mbit 95%.
    Any lower is asking for trouble.

On top of that, you have to pay for the storage and file serving of your files, ofcourse. I think $ 42000,00 a month for the total solution including the traffic should be a safe budget indication.

Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    I think for 5 gbps commitment you should expect 8$ per mbit 95%.
    Any lower is asking for trouble.

On top of that, you have to pay for the storage and file serving of your files, ofcourse. I think $ 42000,00 a month for the total solution including the traffic should be a safe budget indication.

Goodluck!
    That is actually nice to hear, when you say $8 per mbit 95% do you include Tier 1 providers with that as well? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by peruviantalk View Post
    That is actually nice to hear, when you say $8 per mbit 95% do you include Tier 1 providers with that as well? Just curious.
    On a 5 gbps 95% cdr ?
    I am sure you will get that with some of the good quality tier-1 providers, either directly or trough a reseller.

In my experience, getting hold of a good (dedicated, fast, reliable) account manager (or account director) within a tier-1 provider is the big trick here. Once you found him (or her) you got the key to service and good pricing.

To safe yourself the hassle, you might consider getting the bandwidth trough a good reseller.

Thanks for the response. Just opened a new window of questions regarding the future.

Expecting a helpful and always available account manager, %99.99-%100 uptime, top notch Tier-1 providers, and bandwidth at <=$6/mbps is not at all too much to ask, in my opinion. This market is more competitive then ever, truly to the advantage of the buyer.

Most larger providers should be able to provide 5Gbit of capacity relatively easily! At this commitment the OP has already demonstrated knowledge of what pricing should be. Providers you may have previously excluded will also be in this same range.

A major consideration will be the quality of transit given the geographic diversity of your end-users. A provider utilizing mostly Cogent routes will perform much worse than a diverse network with hundreds of peering relationships

A CDN solution would be slightly more expensive than transit but will provide content acceleration and geographic redundancy. This would also save you from having to manage the servers yourself.

They say:

that isn't cheap at all for 1gbit
    (All commit levels = $15/Mbit *plus the cost of the machine hardware)

No kidding. That's just insane! $15,000 per gbit of bandwidth?

Nobody can justify that over hosts that will offer 1gbit for only $6,000, utilizing top Tier-1 providers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast