Canadian and all Hardware in Canada

Hi

I have been happy at site5. Due to the Patriot Act, the stricter Canadian PIPEDA law, and my Canadian residency, I am looking for a comparable Canadian host.

I have a number of domains. My research has not revealed any Canadian hosts that offer something comparable to the convenience of Site5's MultiSite. Looks like to operate multiple domains under a single account in Canada the administration is via subdomains or domain pointers rather than what MultiSite does. Is anyone aware of a Canadian host that offers MultiSite like functionality.

The company and all of its hardware must be in Canada so the data does not become subject to the laws of other jurisdictions.

What kind of data is it? Sorry for my curiousity.

With 1860GB of disk space & 18.6TB. It would be hard to find a canadian host able to respond to your request. Would you mind if they offer less ?

Quote Originally Posted by -p9- View Post
    What kind of data is it? Sorry for my curiousity.

With 1860GB of disk space & 18.6TB. It would be hard to find a canadian host able to respond to your request. Would you mind if they offer less ?
    Not sure where you're seeing any references to nearly 2TB in data.. wrong thread, perhaps? :p

It's on Site5 website.

Sure, less bandwidth would be fine. Although I have seen some apparently Canadian hosts offering "unmetered" which I assume means no limit on bandwidth. But I have not looked at their user agreements to see whether they means what I assume.

Regarding the type of data:

The Canadian law requires me to obtain consent to the collection, use, disclosure of personal information. I am also responsible for its safekeeping while retained, and destruction at the end of particular time frames.

This could include information I would have about who a particular poster is on a site such as this one. For example, I would likely have a name, possibly more.

If the information is hosted in the US, the Patriot Act would let the government require the host to disclose the information according to the terms of that Act. Canada's privacy regulators seem concerned about that. If I host in Canada that can't happen.

I doubt I would have much luck in getting American hosts to sign an agreement agreeing to abide by Canadian privacy restrictions. Yet, Canadian law requires that I obtain such an agreement before transferring information to the American host.

Further, even if they do sign such agreement, the Patriot Act would still require them to disclose the information. Consequently, I would have to obtain the consent of my users to my having their personal information handled by someone subject to the Patriot Act. Yeah, I know, nobody but the privacy elite read privacy policies, but it would still be simpler to have everything held exclusively in Canada because the Canadian host would also be subject to the Canadian legislation.

Well you need to list what space/bandwidth you need as I don't think you'll get a recommendations on any serious Canadian host that would offer what site5 does.

I know DigitallyJustified.com http://www.digitallyjustified.com has Canadian/Vancouver based servers/hosting. Also check out Radiant.net http://www.radiant.net

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Quote Originally Posted by Winalk2 View Post
    Hi

I have been happy at site5. Due to the Patriot Act, the stricter Canadian PIPEDA law, and my Canadian residency, I am looking for a comparable Canadian host.

I have a number of domains. My research has not revealed any Canadian hosts that offer something comparable to the convenience of Site5's MultiSite. Looks like to operate multiple domains under a single account in Canada the administration is via subdomains or domain pointers rather than what MultiSite does. Is anyone aware of a Canadian host that offers MultiSite like functionality.

The company and all of its hardware must be in Canada so the data does not become subject to the laws of other jurisdictions.
    Hi not sure how the PIPEDA Law hinders you getting hosting from someone with servers in usa ? I just read briefly about it , but its about privacy protection, and name, address discloser is not considered as private information according the same .

So can you explain how such laws restrict you from getting sites hosted in usa ? Just curious here.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Name, address, are personal information under Pipeda. You may have been reading about the exception for publicly available information such as phone books or for that of employees in their employment. However, even those are excepted only for their primary use.

The problem arises when everything else I gather about them can be linked to them.

Regarding bandwidth: currently about 5 Gig a month.

However a new project will involve a video sharing site. So, if it becomes popular, it will consume some bandwidth.

For example, If I have an internal e-mail system, then the records of which parties communicated with each other, and what they wrote, would be personal information of theirs, but it would be accessible via the Patriot Act if held on a US server, but not if held by a Canadian entity on a Canadian resident server.