HIt vs. Request - Is there a difference?

I'm curious. I have read some stuff recently about Amazon, Mosso and other clouds. I know Mosso has switched over to a request based pricing model and I realized that I am not sure exactly what a 'request' is.

I think that a hit, as tallied by AWStats, Webalizer, etc. would be the same thing as a request, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was the case with Mosso. I actually contacted Mosso support (someone I know is considering using them) to ask them for clarification on a request. They stated that a page with two images would be three requests, one for each image and one for the page itself. I asked if it was the same as 'hits' and they said no, it isn't. This didn't sound right to me, because my understanding of 'hits' is the same as how he described 'requests'.

So, I figured I would just ask the experts on WHT.

Thanks
    BroncosForums - Broncos message board and live news feed

You are correct. A hit is a request. A page view is collection of the hits/requests necessary to download a full page of content.

The only way I can think that they might be trying to mean something different is with IFRAME's. Most stats packages would not be able to distinguish them from full pages, so would incorrectly log them as page views. AJAX could also cause complications.

Perhaps what they were trying to say was if you put two of their adverts on the same page in iframe's, they will only pay you for one viewing even though they are two HTML documents downloaded from the ad server. It's not exactly what you reported the support guy said, but they could have been trying to oversimplify, or may not understand it fully themselves.

To give you an idea of what their billing metric means.

The front page of webhostingtalk has 41 requests (hits) per load. Just that page could only be loaded 73,171 times before hitting their cap.

Mosso's 67 requests (hits) per load for their main site means that would only be allowed to have that page load 44,776 times.

That means you would be paying $100 a month just to show the mosso homepage 44,776 times!!

Quote Originally Posted by chet View Post
    To give you an idea of what their billing metric means.

The front page of webhostingtalk has 41 requests (hits) per load. Just that page could only be loaded 73,171 times before hitting their cap.

Mosso's 67 requests (hits) per load for their main site means that would only be allowed to have that page load 44,776 times.

That means you would be paying $100 a month just to show the mosso homepage 44,776 times!!
    Ok, that's what I was thinking. So, if he has a domain that AWstats shows as getting 6,500,000 to 7,000,000 hits a month, he would be looking at an overage of 3.5 to 4 million requests a month, because an AWstats hit is the same thing as a Mosso request. Correct?

I think the tech support guy at Mosso was confusing hits with pageviews, because he said that requests would be more than hits.

By the way, there is a nice technique you can use to minimise requests per page with regard to images by putting all the images into rectangles of a single larger image, then using the CSS clip function to display different portions of the large image in each place. This is known as CSS sprites. There is a generator here:

http://spritegen.website-performance.org/

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.