I need Win and *nix VPS located in East coast. Suggestions?

I am looking for a reputable host offering Windows (2K3 ok, but 2k8 would be better) and Linux VPS.
    #1 criteria is impecable customer service, since this is for my new company I joined. My reputation is on this.

On the Linux VPS I will be hosting Postifx server and SugarCRM (LAMP) and on Windows VPS I will have SSL-VPN with some doc storage.

Local backups/snapshots would be awesome, but if in/out bandwidth is cheap enough, I can do remote backups to my local backup server.

East coast (NY/MA) location would be the best, since we are located here and would like to be able to VPN with lesser ping times.

For Linux VPS I am thinking 512M burstable to 750 or so with 20GB of storage. For Windows, 512M burstable to 1GB and also 20GB of storage. Control over firewall rules without calling support would be best.
    4 public IPs are a must.

Any suggestions?

I usually had my own server rooms with redundant connections and etc. But this is a start-up and I have no budget for hardware, colocation, or dual Ts.

The provider needs to provide 'both', right?

If I could get both in one provider, that would be ideal. Windows VPS actually is more important, since I can put WIMP package on it and do SugarCRM. Storage than needs to double.
    East coast location is as biggie as the traffic allotment.

Groovy, just be aware that many VPS providers aren't quite able to offer W2K8 as of yet, due to Windows having to be tweaked to perform in a stable manner on a VPS environment. It should become available to most providers of Q3 this year (with any luck).
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

I am not holding my breath for Win2K8. I own the enterprise edition and it worked fine in my previous environment, but it is also non-RAM-friendly in non-core mode.

So any suggestions?

You may also want to check out Eastern Canada, have very good ping times to Eastern US, maybe 10ms higher.
    Robert @ SmoothVPS
    www.SmoothVPS.com - Since 2008

Unfortunately I was told by my compliance guy that I can only host stuff on US servers.

Have you decided what VPS platform for Windows you are looking at? Most providers offer XEN, Virtuozzo or MS Virtual Server.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

What type of budget are you looking at? There are a breadth of providers available on the east coast, but depending on your budget, you could certainly lower the choices as well as improve the quality.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Budget: about $100. But for the right level of service it could go up. Over the next year it is very likely I will have to spend more, since I will need more capacity, if things go right.

Also, what is the deal with firewalls. Some of the services I looked at, you pretty much are told that your firewall is what you install on the VPS.

Re. platform. I have hands on experience with VMWare and Microsoft Virtual Server. I run Virtual Server here at home for myself.
    What is the advantage/disadvantage of Virtuozzo?
    Last edited by groovyipo; 05-11-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Now that I have read up a bit more about Virtuozzo, VMWare or MS VM server is much better option for me. I need strict separation and absolute control of my VM. My compliance guy will not be too happy with me, if I go software rather than hardware virtualization route.

If you need a windows VPS on the east cost- SolarVPS is the way to go.
    Robert @ SmoothVPS
    www.SmoothVPS.com - Since 2008

Groovy

Xen will also do the job.

I am intimately familiar MSVM, but never toyed with me Xen. I have hosted some rock solid VMs on MS platform. Wonder if Xen has same stability.

Quote Originally Posted by groovyipo View Post
    I am intimately familiar MSVM, but never toyed with me Xen. I have hosted some rock solid VMs on MS platform. Wonder if Xen has same stability.
    I'm surprised to hear good things on Microsoft Virtual Server. Our company's background is on Enterprise Virtualization (big clusters with failover SAN storage, etc)

Each year we perform tests on each available product, and last time, MSVirtual Server, was at a dead last spot. 1st spot was for vmWare, but for the cost (about 6k - 7k per NODE) it was completely out of the table, the 2nd spot looked very well, and it was Xen Enterprise at about 2.5k per node.

The only decent one I personally tried after this test, was Parallels (on the mac, and ran great).

Virtuozzo / OpenVZ performs great when all the VPS's are owned by the same person, but in our playing field we needed to have maximum isolation, and OpenVZ wasn't the best solution to deliver this.

Anyhow, I'm Xen biased, as I have been working with it for years. However, to me, and our team, has proved to be simply great. Not a single Xen related downtime in all this time

It's usually fried 15k RPM disks

In the Windows Virtualisation department, the advantage Virtuozzo Windows offers over VMWare and MS Virtual Server is that it's virtualization works at the kernel/OS level. This arguably providers lesser isolation, but the huge advantage it providers to customers and hosts is that it has lesser overhead.

The latest versions of Virtuozzo Windows have proven to provide isolation that will rival that of VMWare/MSVirtualServer for most customer needs
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

So here is my another dilemma. Space and backups.
    I am thinking now that I will need two VPSes:
    1. 512MB/20GB (or a bit less in storage) and 100GB or so in traffic for my e-mail server (will host email for our 5 domains) and than we will run content management system like Drupal for 10 of our sites. This VPS can sit in East Coast or Midwest. Having a control panel that would make it easier for me to teach someone less tech than me to manage user accounts would be awesome (cPanel, what else is there?)

2. I need to run a file server, SugarCRM, and OpenVPN SSL-VPN.
    1024MB of RAM is I think what I need and I could start with 40GB of space, but probably will need closer to 80GB in 6-8 months. We will have 5 people on it during the day full time and probably 5 more part time. I think 300GB of traffic is enough.
    I need to be on XEN platform for this VPS for the separation reasons.

Backing up #1 is not an issue, #2 VPS is a concern. Would hate to eat into the traffic limit.

Suggestions?

So far two providers that look like fit my regional requirement and reputation requirement are SolarVPS and VPSfarm. Any others?
    Last edited by groovyipo; 05-14-2008 at 02:31 PM.

powervps offers both and is anexcellent choice. As far as msvs vs virtuozzo, we've been on both and msvs is much more stable for us

Hello groovyipo, I found this thread when researching VpsFarm, can you tell me if you ended up with them? You say they "met your regional and reputation requirement", did you find good reviews of their reputation and service?

I'm leaving my current host due to poor service so like you I'm looking for first-rate support, thanks!