Thread: Virtual servers

Virtual servers

Hi,

We're planning to extent our services to virtual servers.

We're looking for some good console to manage these virtual servers. At the moment hypervm is looking very intresting but we have faced some problems with our server and centos os.

Other option is virtuozzo, but I have no idea how much it costs. I know they want to customize all prices to every client but I guess some kind of a basic license packages wouldn't harm them. If we had for example 3 vps's, could anyone give any estimation how much a virtuozzo license would cost to those?

Are there any other vps management consoles out there?

Is this for real? I found this site via google: http://www.parallels.com/bol?sfcid=70140000000CfJp

Does virtuozzo license really cost over 1000 USD / year for 4!! VPSs?

I can see this from The Planet (if you try to configure a server)

- Virtuozzo for Linux 10 VE Pack - Mo. Fee/Setup Fee: ($50.00/$0.00)
    - Virtuozzo for Linux 30 VE Pack - Mo. Fee/Setup Fee: ($100.00/$0.00)
    - etc.

I think their pricing depends on the volume of licenses...
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    Is this for real? I found this site via google: http://www.parallels.com/bol?sfcid=70140000000CfJp

Does virtuozzo license really cost over 1000 USD / year for 4!! VPSs?
    This license is not for hosting providers - please red the grey box.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

You're better of getting them from your server provider, as they might be a parallels partner, and should be able to get you a decent price.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

50USD/month for 10 licenses doesn't sound too bad. Our isp doesn't actually provide virtuozzo licenses so I contacted parallels directly, lets see what they come up with.

You could try Webmin. It's free and it has VPS management modules.
    http://www.webmin.com/

Yes, we need to start looking for other options.

We contacted parallels sales 4 days ago and we haven't got a single replay yet.

How do you run business with virtuozzo/plesk if the support is as fast as this? I would see the situation rather scary if, for example, there is some problems after software update and you have to wait several days for a normal email reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    At the moment hypervm is looking very intresting but we have faced some problems with our server and centos os.
    HyperVM really has nothing to do with how the OS runs inside a VPS or VM. It's purley used to manage/create and set limits for your Virtual Servers.

More than just a Management Panel you will also want to consider what Virtualization platform to use. The two most common at the moment being OpenVZ/Virtuozzo (Container Based, OS Level) or Xen (Hardware Based, Paravirtualization). Both have their benefits and drawbacks.

If you do a search there are numerous OpenVZ vs Xen threads.

As well as HyperVM there are several other panels new/development:

www.enomalism.com
    www.vtonf.com - Free, made by BobCares

Virtuozzo license makes more sense when packing more than 50 VM on the same box.
    Some time ago I've found Proxmox, it's an openvz panel, no idea if it's good or bad. Maybe it's worth giving a try.

Vittorio
    Internet and Hosting provider since 1996
    http://www.tzm.net