Dedicated server(s) Amsterdam.

I m looking for dedicated servers with unmeterd bandwidth in Amsterdam but still in doubt which choice to make. DFor our worldwide leading site we need one server up front and many to back up our system. Many times I notice pros and cons on this forum about apparent rivalry companies. Still, having taken all in consideration, it looks to me to be a two horse race: Leaseweb or Ecatel. I'm absolutely new to this market and in dire need of some solid information from people who really know the ins and outs. Still then I imagine its hard to decide which way to go. We are from Israel and living in the Netherlands.
    Before we had servers by word of mouth, now we also have to deal with forums. We dont want to burn, we dont want to be negative, all we want is proper and solid advice.

המין של האהבה

Per experience, you have to try out the host by yourself... You cannot only base on recommendation... We are actually testing ecatel and firt impression are very positive right now. I can't comment about leaseweb as we never try it...
    Last edited by hosteur; 05-10-2008 at 08:37 AM.

I would recommend Lease Web. I have used their networks and I feel comfortable in recommending them.

Why not just check their websites to compare?

http://www.leaseweb.nl
    http://www.ecatel.nl

Or check on the dutch network guide site:

http://www.netwerkgids.com/
    There you can find almost all Dutch providers, the connections they have, the DCs they are in and a list of Dutch ISPs that use their network.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

I'd love to thank the many users of this forum who have send me lots of personal messages. I will not divulge what my choice is going to be, however what I do want to mention is that indeed one can easily speak of a two horse race, because only once was a third company mentioned, namely We-Dare. I had not heard of them before. All messages were about Leaseweb and Ecatel.

Pity though that user swiftnoc tried pulling me into a nasty conversation in the one topic and giving me a nice reply in another (this) topic. It's all in the game.

המין של האהבה

Talking

Ecatel can setup a free test drive, simply ask ( aka: ecatel here from this same forum ).

seems you have alreafy decided who to go with.. and btw.. when someone replies, it's not based on who we are talking to but what we are talking about.. so different messages will get different kind of responses.. same poster.. same person to reply.. doesn't matter
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by domainwala View Post
    seems you have alreafy decided who to go with.. and btw.. when someone replies, it's not based on who we are talking to but what we are talking about.. so different messages will get different kind of responses.. same poster.. same person to reply.. doesn't matter
    I have not decided as yet.

I realise there are many good and solid providers but all seem to be hanging behind other providers, most of them not having their own network, thats why I mentioned We-Dare as a third company because after some searching it seems they are in the same league as Leaseweb and Ecatel. Only othing against them for the moment is they seem te be stationed in Rotterdam. Another point I 'd like to make thats very important to me, I don't want anything to do with ''flamers''. Whatever the reason, it's never good for business. Not for theirs but surely not for mine if i were to choose one of those second graders. I can mention some but I won't because they are not what I call first grade like Leaseweb, Ecatel and We-dare.

Would be a good idea for the moderators perhaps to stick flamers in a separate member arsenal.

We-dare is indeed located in Rotterdam. Which will introduce a couple more ms latency. Server-boost uses their DC and network, and they seem to get great reviews on support as well.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want the typical high-bandwidth-shared-unmetered network, yes you will be stuck with Leaseweb or Ecatel for instance. Personally I would go for leaseweb in that case because of their network which is superior. Their support is more expensive however.

If you want real premium bandwidth you could think about colo'ing with true.nl. Or using a party that colos their machines in one of the True datacenters (preferably euroaccess DC). An example would be flexservers.nl, however I do not know how their service is. But they are/used to be with true.nl.
    xs4all.nl is one of the best in trms of network and support. However it comes with a price - dont be surprised to see an invoice of over 350 euro for a budget server without management.
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

xs4all is very good but very very expensive..

i could recommend Ecatel. Good network and perfect support. Ask them to setup a test server for you. Test it and see their quality.
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

Any requirements about the OS, server configuration and software?
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Any requirements about the OS, server configuration and software?
    Not relevant as long as I'm undecided.

Leaseweb BV and Fiberring BV

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Why not just check their websites to compare?

http://www.leaseweb.nl
    http://www.ecatel.nl

Or check on the dutch network guide site:

http://www.netwerkgids.com/
    There you can find almost all Dutch providers, the connections they have, the DCs they are in and a list of Dutch ISPs that use their network.
    Could somebody please inform me about the Leaseweb connection with a company called Fiberring ? Reading stacks of personal messages I found this unconvincing story about Leaseweb technicians also being Fiberring technicians ?

Both companies same sharehoders perhaps ?

http://www.ecatel.nl/ is an index, guess they are still working on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    http://www.ecatel.nl/ is an index, guess they are still working on their site.
    Well, they said the site would be ready at the end of this month.
    I think it's quite unprofessional to have an index rather than no site at all. Could be just one bloke wanting to do too much at the same time as swiftnoc kept saying ?
    We'll just have to wait and see ?

Quote Originally Posted by XS42 View Post
    Could somebody please inform me about the Leaseweb connection with a company called Fiberring ? Reading stacks of personal messages I found this unconvincing story about Leaseweb technicians also being Fiberring technicians ?

Both companies same sharehoders perhaps ?
    Have a look here:

http://www.ocom.com/en/brands

There are varying line speeds for unmetered plans. How much bandwidth is your undoubtedly illegal operation going to be using?

Hi again,

I hope that some other recommendations would appear so you would be able to make your choice but I would suggest you to speak to the providers you have on your list. Why? Because there are dozens (and even probably hundreds) of Dutch web hosts who can offer good network and uptime. But I presume that you'll need a certain level of support and customization on your servers. So you have to make sure you'll be able to have a good communication with the web hosts mentioned above. And if you are in Amsterdam, just give them a call and arrange meetings with them.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Meaning they have nothing with each other ?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned www.i3d.net yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    It's actually one and the same, albeit different Dutch limiteds. They have in all probability the same shareholders, directors, technicians and staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
    We-dare is indeed located in Rotterdam. Which will introduce a couple more ms latency. Server-boost uses their DC and network, and they seem to get great reviews on support as well.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want the typical high-bandwidth-shared-unmetered network, yes you will be stuck with Leaseweb or Ecatel for instance. Personally I would go for leaseweb in that case because of their network which is superior. Their support is more expensive however.

If you want real premium bandwidth you could think about colo'ing with true.nl. Or using a party that colos their machines in one of the True datacenters (preferably euroaccess DC). An example would be flexservers.nl, however I do not know how their service is. But they are/used to be with true.nl.
    xs4all.nl is one of the best in trms of network and support. However it comes with a price - dont be surprised to see an invoice of over 350 euro for a budget server without management.
    Siet,

Euroaccess and True don't own their own datacenters. So True can't be in an 'Euroaccess datacenter'. (I think you mean euNetworks instead?)

As for the latency between Rotterdam and Amsterdam, this will not be an issue. The biggest gamehosting provider in The Netherlands (where latency is very important) hosts a big part of their servers at We-Dare Rotterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootspirit View Post
    Siet,

Euroaccess and True don't own their own datacenters. So True can't be in an 'Euroaccess datacenter'. (I think you mean euNetworks instead?)

As for the latency between Rotterdam and Amsterdam, this will not be an issue. The biggest gamehosting provider in The Netherlands (where latency is very important) hosts a big part of their servers at We-Dare Rotterdam.
    For good measures, we are not in the game hosting market.
    As for Euroaccess, you are talking an ISP we dont want to touch with a six foot pole. No personal experience but too many bad references.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootspirit View Post
    Siet,

That would be our company. We have our main platform balanced over WeDare Rotterdam and WeDare Amsterdam (Databarn). We also host our enterprise clients in this network (from Microsoft Xbox360 servers to Playstation 3 gaming servers).

Indee: latency won't be an issue as the Rotterdam location has several direct transit connections, as does the Amsterdam location.

I'm interested in WE-DARE Rotterdam, not Amsterdam but still the one important dedicated server I need has to be in Amsterdam for a while.
    We may decide to bring our colocation to Rotterdam, thats not the point at the moment.

If you need lots of bandwith (1gbps+) the Amsterdam location is better as it has more available bandwidth. Please note wedare only provides housing and network, the services as dedicated servers are only available at hosting parties inside their network.

Quote Originally Posted by interactive3d View Post
    If you need lots of bandwith (1gbps+) the Amsterdam location is better as it has more available bandwidth. Please note wedare only provides housing and network, the services as dedicated servers are only available at hosting parties inside their network.
    Thanks, I'm well aware of what you're telling me.