Question Server Configuration for High Traffic

We're expecting a large spike in traffic (40k visits in one day) soon. We’re running on a very powerful server with CentOS & cPanel.

Is there any specific configuration we can setup to prepare for the large visitor spike? The website is very database and PHP intensive. We want to avoid any downtime.

Put the db on another server...

As hosteur said, you can separate the web server and db server, or go with the cluster/load balance solution.
    For db server, you should go with this configuration or greater: Dual Quad Core Xeon, 8GB ECC RAM, 8x 15k SAS HDDs in RAID10.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by hosteur View Post
    Put the db on another server...
    I meant something along the lines of OS/software settings.

We already have a dual quad core, 8 gb of ram, 15k SAS raid 10

If I may, 40k visitors in one day is really nothing. Now if that is 40k/hour then yes, but 40k in one day, a simple Cele can handle that kind of load. That is only 2.1 hits a second.

We have a server setup with dual quad cores and 8GB, 10k raid1, and it runs so pretty heavy duty php/mysql sites and it avg is 52hits/sec and the load on it hovers around 0.45

If you are expecting 40k over a 24 hour period, I personally would not loose any sleep.

Anthony

If you get a lightweight webserver, you may not need a lot of memory.

cache php/sql intensive pages. ex: pages with more then 10 sql queries, have then cache to html and only generate every 5 minutes instead. I have this for one of my sites, works great.

switch to clustered system it wil help you out in all ways
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

40k hits in 24h is nothing. A simple celeron can handle 4 times that amount. What kind of application are you running that requires so much power?
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

well it really depends on the application... i have got a heavy MySQL site on a xeon 4 GB.. and it stops responding when the average is 10K visitors per day.. optimize your mysql & application i'd say
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

If it's a custom php/mysql app, you should probably load test it to see how much traffic it can handle, and where the bottlenecks are.

You can also do a quick guess on how much the server can handle based on page load times. that is, if the page loads in 1 second, it should be able to handle 3600 page views per hour, no problem. However, if it takes 10 seconds to load the page, you might see some issues.

Also if it takes 1 sec chances are there's some tweaking to be done. Check this for example:

Server Time: May 10 2008 02:16:38 pm (1210446998)
    mysql queries: 10
    Script execution time: 0.00826 Seconds
    Memory usage: 464.09KB
    ŠCopyright 2007 - Powered by SquirrelBBS v0.6
    This is a custom forum I've been working on and kinda abandoned and need to finish one day... but check out that execution time. That's on a shared host too, not on my own server.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerVina View Post
    As hosteur said, you can separate the web server and db server, or go with the cluster/load balance solution.
    For db server, you should go with this configuration or greater: Dual Quad Core Xeon, 8GB ECC RAM, 8x 15k SAS HDDs in RAID10.
    Just curious. What are you basing that on? Did I miss a post when the OP described the size or the usage other than 40k hits?

Why do you think they re db dependant and how did you come up with this sizing? Honestly I am just asking.

Smaller servers than that ran a datawarehouse / BI db with > 1million active subscription based customers so greater than 5million actual records.

Its easy to size things if you just go big.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Exactly. People here throw maxxed specs around here too often. Not needed at all