Ugh...advice needed

To make an extremely long story extremely short, my mother in law lived with us (me, my husband, and children) for almost 16 months. Occasionally she would not make a payment on a debt, and the bank would call looking for her.

Anyway, she moved out a couple of weeks ago and apparently is not making payments again, because the bank is again calling our house looking for her. She gave no indication of where she was going or how we could reach her, which I've repeatedly told this company. I've asked numerous times for them to remove our number and they continue to call. I've told them this is her son's house and they still call. I don't know what else to say at this point.

Is there anything else I can do to get them to stop calling us? They call 4-6 times a *day*.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Block the number?

Tell hem she was abducted by aliens and to send the bill to her new address at:

6926 Stars Wars Ave.
    Milky Way Galaxy, Outerspace 90210

... or you could just try to block their # =)

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

6926 Stars Wars Ave.

LOL

I did ask the person I talked to last night to let me know when they find her so we can drop off all the stuff she left here at her new place

Will go check out the number blocking; I think they may be calling from several different numbers though. Hopefully there's no charge to block per number

There may be a charge for the ability to block numbers, but this might be an additional service your provider might offer (if it's not part of your existing service package).

Alternatively, you could contact your in-law and explain to her and you're receiving harassing calls regarding her debt and that she needs to do something about it. In-law or not, if someone is making your life or your immediate family's lives less awesome somehow, you have the right to correct the issue. That is to say withing the bounds of legality, of course. :-D
    Bill - Support Analyst - Liveblock Auctions International
    http://www.LiveGlobalBid.com

Sue them for harassment.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Aren't there laws that dictate what times and how often collectors can call? I don't remember / know them in detail, however I'm almost positive 4-6 times a day would constitute some sort of action.
    Brian F. - Operations Manager
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrown View Post
    Alternatively, you could contact your in-law and explain to her and you're receiving harassing calls regarding her debt and that she needs to do something about it.
    We really don't know where she went, or what her new number is -- I was telling the bank the truth. She left on less than ideal circumstances, so she wasn't really talking to us when she did go.

In-law or not, if someone is making your life or your immediate family's lives less awesome somehow, you have the right to correct the issue. That is to say withing the bounds of legality, of course. :-D
    I completely agree

Not to sound cold, but if we did have her new contact info, I would give it to them in a heartbeat. We have enough to deal with without having to deal with her creditors.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrown View Post
    In-law or not, if someone is making your life or your immediate family's lives less awesome somehow, you have the right to correct the issue. That is to say withing the bounds of legality, of course. :-D
    Some people actually value the value of family.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I agree dont rat your mother in law out.
    Is this the original creditor or a third party collector. either way
    You told them to stop calling, they continued.
    Contact there legal dept if you know whos calling if that doesnt work, or you cant get ahold of them
    Write them legal ceo whom ever you think of to Immedietly c,d harassing you. explain she does not live their.
    they have no right to call you 4-6 times a day espicially since you dont owe them anything regardless of their computersystem.
    Or you could just change your number block theirs what ever suits you
    If i was you id write them a letter and send it certified make a copy etcc then youl have a strong case if it continues.
    http://budhibbs.com/

I dont suppose changing your number is an option?
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Ask them to whom you should make out the check and the address to which it is to be delivered.
    Then report them to the District Attorney and the Attorney General.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    I dont suppose changing your number is an option?
    That option (especially if the prospective change is to a pre-pay mobile phone) is an incentive for your telephone company customer service to give you some advice on how to proceed in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFarrell View Post
    Aren't there laws that dictate what times and how often collectors can call? I don't remember / know them in detail, however I'm almost positive 4-6 times a day would constitute some sort of action.
    You can only make contact once per day. Contact however is defined as 'speaking' with the person. They may only call from 8AM-8PM.

Ask them to whom you should make out the check and the address to which it is to be delivered.
    Then report them to the District Attorney and the Attorney General.
    District Attorney and Attorney General won't do anything over one complaint. Nor will the BBB. Not sure why people put any kind of credence in them. Even if they did, that is considered baiting, which would result in the case quite simply being ignored.

Can I ask which country you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

6926 Stars Wars Ave.

you're on them mind bending things again.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

OWM,

Nah, I am the result of being dropped on my head too often when I was a little child

"I am sorry my attorney is not available to answer your question. Please leave your name and number when it is convenient for my attorney to return your call."

Mention lawyer and they will go away...

Call your service provider and tell them you're getting unsolicited calls from #### and they will block them.
    Rene K.

Quote Originally Posted by azizny View Post
    Some people actually value the value of family.

Peace,
    Very true, but my immediate family's (husband, kids, myself) peace of mind has to come before my mother in law's. When you're getting phone calls several times a day about a debt that isn't even yours, that's not what I'd classify as peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    I agree dont rat your mother in law out.
    Is this the original creditor or a third party collector. either way
    As far as I know it is still the original creditor.

I will say that the people I've talked to are all very pleasant, compared to some creditors who sound like they'd enjoy throwing you on one of those medieval stretchers in order to get their money. If only I could get them to get their shift notes together and stop calling us. I understand that they are doing their job, and they've probably heard the "s/he doesn't live here anymore" line a zillion times, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. [/rant]

Call your service provider and tell them you're getting unsolicited calls from #### and they will block them.
    I will look into that. Thanks.

I used to get harrased or nonsense calls from say 7pm onwards a few years ago.

I just diverted my landline phone number to the local police station...or The Samaritans and even The Gay Exchange... needless to say the nuisance calls stopped pretty fast.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

I don't get it. If they called one time that day, what makes them think you would have more information the other three times they call? It's common sense, if they didn't know the first time, why would they know three more calls down the road?

But anyway, good luck.

I'm not sure if this would apply, but I know under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (Correct?) you can tell a creditor that you refuse to pay the debt, or in this case refuse to communicate with them further about someone else's debt, and they are required to stop calling you. Tell them that you are NOT responsible for the debt, and as a result their continued contact is considered harassment. Let them know that any further communication will be documented and used when you file a civil lawsuit against their company for harassment.

Maybe that will help. My sister skipped town on a loan and listed my address and telephone number as a contact, the above statement worked. I still received her notices, which wasn't a big deal.

Hope something works out.

-fin
    Thales

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ
    I don't get it. If they called one time that day, what makes them think you would have more information the other three times they call? It's common sense, if they didn't know the first time, why would they know three more calls down the road?
    You are preachin' to the choir here. Maybe they thought they were being sneaky and would trip us up if they caught us off guard?
    under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (Correct?) you can tell a creditor that you refuse to pay the debt, or in this case refuse to communicate with them further about someone else's debt, and they are required to stop calling you. Tell them that you are NOT responsible for the debt, and as a result their continued contact is considered harassment. Let them know that any further communication will be documented and used when you file a civil lawsuit against their company for harassment.
    Thanks, Thales

Send them a "Cease and Desist" letter for harassment.

It's surprising how effective they can be.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I bet its one of the sleezier debt collection companies. I've actually had some dealings with some of them and had a part in getting one of them put out of business.

Remember, even if you were the one who owed the debt - you don't have to talk to them on the phone. Ask them for their mailing address and send a certified letter telling them that, under the law you are notifying them to not call your home anymore. That should do it.

Otherwise, another trick that works wonders is to say "I am recording this conversation. That person does not live here and you are to never call this number again."

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    I bet its one of the sleezier debt collection companies.
    Could be, but considering how nice they are, I'm thinking it's still the originating bank. I've dealt with debt collectors in the past and they never would have said thank you; they'd be more likely to outright accuse me of lying.

Remember, even if you were the one who owed the debt - you don't have to talk to them on the phone. Ask them for their mailing address and send a certified letter telling them that, under the law you are notifying them to not call your home anymore. That should do it.

Otherwise, another trick that works wonders is to say "I am recording this conversation. That person does not live here and you are to never call this number again."
    Thanks for the tips, Tina.