Bad boot sectors

Im trying to re-install a family members laptop, they tried restoring there laptop with the recovary disk but didnt format the drive so there is two copies of windows on the same drive, ive tried booting the recovary disk but it doesnt allow me to, it just boots into one of the windows copies and fails, has anyone got any suggestions on how i can completely format the drive, i have no access to ms-dos /prompt since when booting anything but the hard drive fails,

Make a DOS bootable CD-ROM or USB key and rebuild the partitions with fdisk.

www.bootdisk.com
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Better you format your C:/ Drive where you have your both the operating system installed...I hope you do not have your Date in C:/ Drive. Just use any bootable XP cd and format the drive and install fresh copy of OS...instead of recovering coz. it may give you problems again in future soon...

oh man 2 windows in same drive...use bootable vista/Xp cd and ... now you have 2 options either install Fresh OS after formatting the C:\ drive or install without formatting it...

Unfortunalty for some reason when trying to boot from a disk or usb i am still booted into windoze, i might just have to buy a sata to usb cable remove the drive and plug it into my computer

Go into the machine's BIOS and put the CDROM and USB key at the top of the boot order list. Sounds like it might be booting off the hard drive first.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.