Thread: portal

Exclamation portal

hi,

i need a php portal script anyone got one?

Portal = a think where uses can submit images and flash etc to my site.

phpnuke, postnuke, look on freshmeat.net and hotscripts.com.. great resources

you can go through following sites :
    www.portalsmag.com
    or
    www.zend.com

postnuke would probly work the best for you there's tons of mods out there for it too....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

One of the issues I have had when looking to start a portal is the fact that all the URLs are dynamic.

I have read all over that you can use MODREWRITE to make them appear static so that Google, Altavista, etc. will spider your site.

Has anyone ever gotten this working?

Can anyone point me to a site that has this working?

Thanks!

pgrote -- that's a really interesting point. I've known the URLs were dynamic, but never even considered that.

As far as PHP/PostNuke, I've heard good things about geeklog -- http://geeklog.sf.net. (I haven't tried it myself yet, though I intend to.)

postnuke is better than geeklog
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Geeklog uses ? as well.

For an example of what I am talking about check out:

Top Ten Links

I don't know how he does it, but he's using PHP.

Erm, took me a minute... By "?" I think you mean dynamic pages? (It's entirely logical once you figure it out, but if you're a dunce like me (*HAD* to use that smiley), it could take a while.)

Yes, Geeklog is really similar. What first attracted me to it was the simple fact that it comes with some really nifty skins, but as I investigated it, I found a bunch of people who seemed to love it. I haven't used it, so I can't definitively comment (aside from saying that it has some nice skins, but that's not exactly the most important of features...)

I can see how that Top Ten site does it, although I'm curious as to how picky sites are -- do they merely exclude sites with a question mark in the URL, or do they insist upon a .html or similar extension? I hadn't ever considered this until you mentioned it, but I'm now quite intrigued by implementing something like this. I'll have to mess around with mod_rewrite...

>>make them appear static so that Google, Altavista, etc. will spider your site.
    google does index dynamic pages, I'm not sure about altavista
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Actually Google only goes one level deep. It doesn't completely spider them based on the dynamic nature.

No one else touches them.

If someone came up with a way to do this easily they would walk away with a some money from me. :-)

pgrote, what do you mean by "one level deep"?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Originally posted by fog
    I can see how that Top Ten site does it, although I'm curious as to how picky sites are -- do they merely exclude sites with a question mark in the URL, or do they insist upon a .html or similar extension? I hadn't ever considered this until you mentioned it, but I'm now quite intrigued by implementing something like this. I'll have to mess around with mod_rewrite...
    Man, I would pay for that. Seriously. Some of my best ideas are stalled right now because I can't find a CMS that doesn't rely on dynamic URLs.

Knight Ridder has a system out there, but it is way too complex for me.

I have posted on Programmingbids.com for someone to do the modrewrite thing with no luck.

Originally posted by pgrote
    Actually Google only goes one level deep. It doesn't completely spider them based on the dynamic nature.

No one else touches them.

If someone came up with a way to do this easily they would walk away with a some money from me. :-)
    You do realize a quick change to your SID will fix that, correct?

It has nothing to do with the fact that it is dynamic content, but the fact that the spider soesnt like sessionID's.

The phpBB crew already modified that so anything with a useragent of Goggle's spider doesnt get a SID and therefore the entire forum gets spidered. This mod will let Google spider your whole site:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32328

That can applied to anything that uses SID's including vBull, postnuke, phpnuke, phpBB, etc etc. Dynamic doesnt matter. SIDs do.

Where's my money?

One more link that offers some more interesting things to chew on:

http://www.phpwizard.net/resources/t...chengines.html

Acronym Boy,

PHPBB isn't a CMS. It's a forum.

I have seen the PHP page and when I try it the whole range of dynamic URLs isn't handled. I am not a PHP expert nor a Apache expert, so I am screwed. I tried it with Postnuke and PHP Nuke. I pointed experts to that page as well and no go.

Also, I have asked many many many people for example sites that are using that and all I have found are sites who are using it for their MENU choices on the left side for things like STATS, FAQ, etc. not for the content of the articles and comments on the site ... and that is where the real meat is for the search engines.

phpBB is coming out with an offical portal, and there are a dozen mods to make it into one.

It doesnt matter what the software does, all that matters is the Goggle does like dynamic content, if you remove session IDs from your CMS, that will work as well.

Everyone else agrees too, google has no problems with dynamic content, just SIDs:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/4093.htm

The way your website is written also matters a great deal. Recurring content is what is picked up by spiders and they focus on that as the theme of your website. It fiuges that what ever is most common must be what your website is about. Sure it has some comomn sense programmed into it, but it is a machine when it comes down to it.

For more info you can try here as well:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000526.php3

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum27/387.htm

According to there:

I have got a few clients who had a hopeless CMS with about 1000 pages but only the front page was indexed. Now all 1000 pages are indexed with unique and relevant titles. You can imagine what happened to the internal link pop and the traffic from the SEs exploded.
    It can be done wiht forums, with CMS, with anything that is dynamic, people have done it before. Id rethinkg calling them "experts".

Google does how ever limit the amount of dynamic pages it does spider:

Your pages are dynamically generated. We are able to index dynamically generated pages. However, because our web crawler can easily overwhelm and crash sites serving dynamic content, we limit the amount of dynamic pages we index.
    Also:

http://www.faganfinder.com/invis/index.shtml

There are millions of dynamic pages, many of which are exactly what you may be looking for. Indexing dynamic pages has the potential to stall a search engine's crawler, which is why most don't do this. Google does index dynamic pages by following links from static ones.
    And to make your pages look static, rewrite URLs. Once they appear static Google will spider your site by moving to the links on your site. Google bases things by how many times something is linked, therefore is your FAQ is linked on every page, with is much more likly to be listed higher than an article.

People have done it, your experts that say it cant be done obviously havent met them.

Once again I appreciate the anecdotal evidence. I really do, but I have seen those pages before.

What site is running it successfully? What site when you do a look up in google shows all their pages? You can't go by pagerank due to the inherited issues.

Look at Webmaster World closely. They have static URLs. He doesn't make his software available though and *ALL* his pages are in Google.

PHPBuilder is a programmed solution as well. There is nothing out of the box that supports this.

That is what I want to find. I have said, as you have, that people say it can be done as modrewrite, but has anyone actually done this for Postnuke, et. al. If so, I'd like to see the examples.

I do appreciate you pointing me to people who say it can be done, but outside of Webmaster World where are all these sites?

The best quote is:

Anything is posible bu the key is having a good relationship with a competent developer.

Out of the box?

No, theres nothing. If you roll your own CMS (something I slowly working on and I am taking a while becuase I am making it fully complaint) it isnt a problem, but something like phpNuke or postNuke or something, will not be geared for this. It will require so much tweaking (plus I tend to change things anyhow) that it makes more sense to write your own (or at least that is what I prefer to do).

Acronym Boy,

We agree on that ;-)

That is what I was I talking about when I couldn't find a developer to do it. When I come across the sites like Top Ten Links and Webmaster World that do it right I am frustrated that their solutions aren't public.

I guess that makes it a competitive advantage for them :-)

Like I said earlier, the Knight Ridder system works, but it's extremely advanced on the install part.

Its more complicated and more involved. And if people need ot put that much work into a CMS, they will charge for it as opposed to giving it away for free. Sorry, cant help you there, although I am thinking about releasing my CMS (whenever I actually finish it) and I am working on making it appear static as well as for each artcile, giving the page custom metatags and such.

But I hardly work on it any more so it may become one of those things that I just never finish.

The CMS I've designed for our site works without requiring dynamic URLs.

For example:
    http://www.largenets.com/testing.html

We can call them whatever, throughout the site we generally don't have any extensions (eg: http://www.largenets.com/products, etc)

The page is coming from a MySQL database entered into our CMS. The following is what is actually entered into the database for the corresponding page:

Hello.
    <P>
    You think I'm a static page, when in fact I'm a page coming from a PHP<->MySQL based
    Content Management System. I'll do phpinfo(); for good measure!
    <P>
    <? phpinfo(); ?>
    I don't know how easy this would be to do in any other CMS's (mine was designed to have this capability from the beginning) - but if anybody wants a hand, etc then I may be able to help out. I'll tell you now - it doesn't use modrewrite

--Shaun
    Last edited by shaunewing; 09-04-2002 at 08:16 PM.
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net