Thread: The big wheels?

The big wheels?

Its like 4 in the morning, im off work friday but I never went to sleep, I CANT sleep! Anyways off the wall topic. Give me something to read when I wake up tommorrow!

Im 25 now, I been studying this whole web based, hosting, commerce stuff since I was 20. If I knew then What I know now, I could probably have my own datacenter and living well. Lets say, you had a boat load of money, and you wanted to devote your time to becoming a lead Internet hosting company. Big wheel basically. There a lot of places on the net, where you can start out from doing Virtual to co locate to having your own. But what if, you had your own money... and built your own setup? Its not like you can call up the local phone company to lease a connection.

Where DO these high speed connections come from and what generates them? I guess my question is, is that it baffles me knowing that, I can get a t1 line in my house but to support 500 hosts, Id have to get dual lines, faster connection of some sort. Why would I have to consort to a company that supplies me the systems and connections when I could do it myself? (if the money was available) I live just outside st louis, I have no idea of connections here, but if I wanted my own data center, where does the connection come from? and how is it generated. IM curious

This has got to be one of the most interesting questions I've seen in quite a while.

Looking forward to some good answers.

Lats...

For example. Im an expert at communications over the air so i understand its aspects real well. A radio transmits a wave or a signal on the radio spectrum, frequency whatever you want to call it, but that signal will fade over a distance, but with a repeater it can go hundreds of miles, sometimes around the world. So im interested to know how data connections work

In my hometown a couple of the really big landlord-companies have put down their own fiberoptic lines all over town. Then they set up servers in every house that is to be connected and from a central point connects to the rest of the world. That connection is usually through one of the phone-companies here in Sweden. I know a new company has to buy place on the existing telephone lines, which makes it very expencive because the owner of those is Telia who used to be the govenment-run phoneservice. Not it has to make money, and when the monopoly has to go, they charge too much for their own lines.

Fiber-optic lines is the fastest connection as far as I know. From what I remember from class, doing it over the air through satelites is more difficult, because of the weather, topography and "air-room" (same problem as with cell-phones).

The governement wants us all to be connected over the Internet, and have contributed to some cities so they can set up the equipment. In the countryside, people have to rely on ADSL for now, but that puts preshure on the local phone-stations to put in ADSL modems to support this tecnique. There is also the possibility of using the powerlines, but that depends on the power-company in the area.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

I am thinking!!!!!

ok,
    I don't think a t1 line can host anybody nowadays, maybe in 1996, but a simple site that gets over 50,000 hits a day will eat up your t1 line.

you need at least a 5 mbit line.

you need some cooling too
    just get colo

ttt

Well, high-speed connections e.g. OC-3 and such can be purchased from companies like ATT, http://www.ipservices.att.com/ has info on that.

A T1 line could be used to host a lot of web sites, if they use bandwidth like most.

guess everyones missing my point lol I already know where you can get the connection from, im asking how is that connection generated?

Well i think the answer lies in itself. There are datacenters out there and then there are the network providers. They both combine get into a part of the whole web or network. All the datacenters are joined together through these data pipes spread all over the world..

Looking forward for a better answer,,would love to know in detail
    My 2 cents..

The connections are generated with Telco Switches at each Central Office. They are interconnected via fiber optic cable. The end point, COs connect to the provider and end user via some means: fiber, coax, or copper pair.

The connection at either end is decoded with a DSU, or Switch depending on the protocol used. E.g. frame relay, ATM, etc.

Does that answer your question?

that does it,