Question How to connect to mysql even if its internal !?

Hello,

I have a Dual Quad Core server, used to host a gaming server. The server OS is windows 2003 64bit.

MySQL is setup for internal connections due to recent hack attempts. Port 3306 is closed since we do not accept any external connections.

Now, I dont want to open port 3306 or even make mysql external, but also need mysql server to accept connections from ONE external ip. Can this be done !??

In other words, I want our site "external ip" to connect to our mysql database and poll some data, to be displayed in public.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is in fact an easy process. All you have to do is block port 3306 using the windows firewall . The internal connections would still work properly
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

I already have it blocked by windows firewall & MySQL server is set to accept internal connections only.

So, even if you have the root username and password, you wont be able to connect !

So mysql server is secured but the problem is, I want it to accept external connections from ONE ip, without opening port 3306 or to resetup mysql to accept external connections.

I know its a little confusing but when we got hacked and lost the database, it took 2 months to get back on our feets.

You can add excpetions to the windows firewall by editing the configuration. Once done, you can also grand privilege to single user from that Ip using your mysql console
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

In order to accept a connection from even one outside IP, you'll need to make some opening. If you're really concerned about security, you could setup a VPN connection between your server and the external IP, and use that to tunnel the MySQL connection so that it is connecting on the internal IP address.

Or alternatively, open up access to just the external IP but use a port other than 3306 - this isn't terribly more secure than using port 3306 but does make it a bit less obvious what you're doing.

Just open the Windows Firewall port 3306, you can configure what IP to allow for the port. Open the firewall, click on the Port, Edit->Change Scope.

Use the privilege system in MySQL:

- Re-Allow external connections to MySQL.
    - Create a privileged mysql user that only works from localhost (so use it from your scripts, etc)
    - Create another privileged mysql user that only works from an external IP... And use it to remotely connect your mysql server.
    - Don't care about attacks since they cannot connect through your external IP...

Thank you all for your help. Now its working and mysql is accepting connections only from our website ip.

I did not allow mysql to accept external connections. What I did is open port 3306 and configured it to allow our "external" ip only. Then I had to create a new mysql username with our external ip as the "host". Now the all the scripts on my site are working.

Mysql is still closed to external connections, port 3306 is secured through windows firewall, the new mysql user is for "Read" only

I'm a little confused I thought you were talking about "external" not "local". So you mean that you completely disabled tcp/ip networking on MySQL when saying "closed to external connections"?

Sorry I did not make it clear but yes

MySQL TCP/IP networking is disabled since I dont need it