Partition file System...

So..I'm making a Partition just for most of my data files.
    Like my music, and movies, and Programs, etc... NO OS will be installed on this partition.
    So...which file system should I choose when making this partition?

NTFS?
    Fat32?
    ReiserFS? Don't know anything about it...but heard the guy that found it is in jail. Ouch...and I

Right now, I'm dual booting with vista 32bit & vista 64bit (don't ask....just blame it on drivers).
    I plan to use Linux in the future and I want too access my music and videos from the partition on the linux OS?
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Reiser is a pretty ****** filesystem.
    Fat32 is as well but is incredibly crosscompatible.

If you're going to use linux, Ext3 is the best but windows cant reconize it natively, however there are plenty of apps to allow windows to read ext3 - i'd say its your best bet in that case.
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Go for NTFS so that you can still get compression and archiving in Vista. Most Linux distros will read and write to NTFS out of the bos with the help of the 3G driver.
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

In my experience NTFS is the most versatile. I've had no problems reading, and writing to it in Linux.
    Fat32 isn't as reliable.
    I tried, and couldn't get windows to recognize my ext3 drive.
    The shortest answer is doing the thing.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Thanks guys, I went ahead and went with NTFS.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

All linux distros will mount your fat32 or ntfs partations
    I suggest you make it fat32, and if then change your mind you can change it to ntfs without any loss of data

Code:
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

I've never thought of using anything but ntfs... lol... always worked with no issues.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Good choice
    The shortest answer is doing the thing.
    -Ernest Hemingway

the other issue here is that fat32 is limited in size to 32gb and the max file size of 4gb. check out http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm for more info on partitions.
    [URL="http://www.careermarketplace.com"]

If you're planning to put in linux in the future, I would recommend creating a fairly small (maybe 1 GB) FAT32 partition, and then a partition of whatever size you think will be adequate as Ext2, Ext3, or Reiser FS. It probably doesn't matter which linux filing system you create now, because your linux installation will select what it will be when you actually use it. BTW if you want to copy a double-sides DVD in K3b you will need to have enough free harddrive space in your linux partition to temporarily copy the files (that could be as much as 8.4GB), so allow for enough space for that on top of your operating system, programs, and desired storage capacity.
    I'm not sure about the newest linux distros, but older distros could read NTFS but not write to them. The small FAT32 partition can be used for writing files from linux to Windows.
    My old PartitionMagic 8.0 cannot resize Reiser FS partitions. I don't know about newer versions. I think Partition Commander has that ability.