Thread: Recommendations

Recommendations

I have a project I am working on and being a newbie would be interested in any input that forum members have. I have scoured this forum and found some good information, but not quite what I am looking for.

I am a content provider for financial services companies. The content I provide is mostly text based, PDF's, and financial calculations. The text and PDF content changes occasionaly. I plan on having a developer build some financial calculators. I want to offer this content for my clients on hosted websites through a reseller type account.

Most of my clients have little or no web presence which would facilitate a need for hosting services and sitebuilder tools. I want to predifine templates that include and protect my content and calculators and then let my clients customize and brand the rest.

Most of my client sites will have little or no multimedia needs. There won't be large photo albums or YouTube videos. Their clients primary usage will be to view and download my content and use my calculators.

My problem is that I want to be primarily in the content and billing business. Initialy I don't want to have to worry as much about configuring servers, allocating space, etc. I can get a dedicated server when my needs reach that level.

My budget is not unlimited but I am not terribly concerned with cost. I would rather pay a little more and be safe than try and save 5 bucks with a fly by night company. My needs are as follows:

*Reputable Reseller Host
    *Sitebuilder tools for my clients
    *Quality customer support available to my clients
    *Billing software
    *Scalability
    *Backup
    *Sitebuilder platform that allows developer applications

The Plesk platform seems to offer a lot, but do I need that in a VPS, dedicated, or shared configuration? Hostgator looks to offer some of these features. I have heard good things about webslice, but I think the learning curve would be too steep for me. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    tom

Sounds like quite a project!

What webspace and bandwidth requirements do you anticipate to use?
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

That is the hard part. It is difficult to know exactly how each client will decide to customize their site within a sitebuilder type application.

The text and PDF content I would provide for each site would be under 5MB. I couldn't imagine each site being much larger than 20MB.

For bandwidth, the calculator application would make a few calls to financial databases. Although it would be nice to think these sites would be heavy with traffic, the nature of this business says otherwise. I am assuming very low traffic.

The scalability is in the number of sites I host. My goal for the first year is 50, but the potential is in the tens of thousands.

That was the long answer. The short answer is I am not sure. I don't mind paying a little more until I have more idea of where this will go.

I would suggest you get a reseller account to begin with. As you learn and grow, you can upgrade. Most hosts allow you to upgrade seamlessly.

Best of luck!
    Quality Web Hosting at its Best!
    100% Satisfaction Guaranteed | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Hosting Solutions
    www.QualityHostOnline.com - Proudly Serving Thousands of Customers Since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by tomtommorrow View Post
    I am a content provider for financial services companies. The content I provide is mostly text based, PDF's, and financial calculations. The text and PDF content changes occasionaly. I plan on having a developer build some financial calculators. I want to offer this content for my clients on hosted websites through a reseller type account.

Most of my clients have little or no web presence which would facilitate a need for hosting services and sitebuilder tools. I want to predifine templates that include and protect my content and calculators and then let my clients customize and brand the rest.
    I think you need to develop a web application to facilitate "text based content" + "predefined templates" + "content protection" rather than searching for a sitebuilder suit your needs.
    If you're heading for tens of thousands customers, that's the only way to go.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise