Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    83

    Free Web Hosting Business Models

    I notice some of the older, big name free web hosting companies have gone to charging for their services. If you have patience and really deep pockets I can see how this business model might pay off.

    Also some offer 1 to 3 months free hosting before charging the customer.

    Do you know any successful ventures bulit around a free web hosting business model?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    rules.php
    Posts
    272
    Most of the time when companies offer free or limited free accounts they make money from other revenue streams. for example banners, spamming, demographics. With todays revenue results it is very hard to do just look at banners for example you will hardly get .1% in clickthrus.

    and it aint getting better either.
    ...::: HOST APPROVAL :::...
    Web Hosting Directory
    http://www.hostapproval.com/
    http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    581
    Netfirms have a wonderful model
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,017
    either that or they design free hosting companies just to take advantage of the mass amounts of adspace for only the cost of servers... i am thinking of utilizing this to my advantage soon enough... heh... but thats assuming the person has access to cheap/free adspace in the first place to promote the free hosting service...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    deville
    Posts
    214
    the words free and business don't fit together

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    7,147
    Originally posted by vSector
    Most of the time when companies offer free or limited free accounts they make money from other revenue streams. for example banners, spamming, demographics. With todays revenue results it is very hard to do just look at banners for example you will hardly get .1% in clickthrus.

    and it aint getting better either.
    I think the average CTR (click through ratio) is now below .1% - around .07% or so. Unless the advertiser is paying by the impression, you can't make enough money to cover server expenses.

    However, in my testing (for providing free service), I've notice CTRs ranging from .08% to about .12% which is pretty good, but I haven't broken even yet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Indiana, Florida
    Posts
    534
    Originally posted by akashd


    I think the average CTR (click through ratio) is now below .1% - around .07% or so. Unless the advertiser is paying by the impression, you can't make enough money to cover server expenses.

    However, in my testing (for providing free service), I've notice CTRs ranging from .08% to about .12% which is pretty good, but I haven't broken even yet.
    akashd, do yo offer free hosting services? can you provide the URL?

    I'm thinking of setting up another server just for free hosting, I would put banners and advertise my paid services and that way gain new customers. I was doing some math and I think it's good idea. What do You guys think?

    regards,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    7,147
    Originally posted by VIPsNet


    Akash, do yo offer free hosting services? can you provide the URL?

    I'm thinking of setting up another server just for free hosting, I would put banners and advertise my paid services and that way gain new customers. I was doing some math and I think it's good idea. What do You guys think?

    regards,
    I do and I don't, I am only in the testing/researching stages. Nothing very public just yet .

    As for doing the math and thinking its a good idea - do a lot more math and thinking, I've been researching and testing for about 3 months now and dont plan on releasing anything public just yet. If i do, it'll be months from now (not next week)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    83

    Free Hosting Revisited

    Well, it's been a few months (6 months) ... perhaps Akash could update us on his real world findings.

    All I have done is read opinions. And everybody's got one.

    Anything's possible given the right parameters, alignments and management.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    7,147
    Simply put - Do you see me hosting?

    seriously - it's a huge loss and not worth it unless you have the money to advertise and have some method of getting income (ads dont work, pepole dont like spam)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •