Colocation in shared Rack

Hi all,

we would start to offer colocation in our rack but i would know if there any system that will limit the customer access only on the 1U or 2U posistion where the server is located inside the rack, so nobody can touch other servers

Thanks

To my knowledge, there is no such system. The closest you get is a 1/4 rack with separate door. Screen you customers and if possible, get camera observation. We haven't had any problem in shared racks for about 7 years.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

do u know where can i find 1/4 separate door? we use APC rack

Quote Originally Posted by adapter View Post
    Hi all,

we would start to offer colocation in our rack but i would know if there any system that will limit the customer access only on the 1U or 2U posistion where the server is located inside the rack, so nobody can touch other servers
    Rittal and Hoffman have quarter-size (about 10-12U per) colocation cabinets. I think Rittal or Wright-Line may even have a one-eighth size lockable cabinet, but I can't seem to find that line.

Regardless, you'll pay a lot for either cabinet.

Is there a 1-2U specific lockable environment? No.

Frankly those densities would make it nearly impossible to subdivide efficiently. For example if you had only 1U divided, you'd almost definitely lose at least 1U to be able to route cables and drop a power connection. The internal routing of the cabinet would also have to be extremely tight as you could be talking 20-30 individual power and network cable routes cleanly divided inside the cabinet so you didn't interfere with other users.

I do shared colocation and everyone uses the same space and honestly it works out fine. I've yet to have a user pull a power plug or network cable, which are the biggest concerns in a shared environment (other than users dropping hardware on other people's hardware). Yes it can happen and it's probably only a matter of time until it does but it's rare enough that it's hardly worth considering very expensive subdivided colocation cabinets. If a user really wants that he or she will pay for the individual space.

Quote Originally Posted by adapter View Post
    do u know where can i find 1/4 separate door? we use APC rack
    I don't believe APC makes half or quarter cabinets and it's unlikely other vendors' doors would be compatible with an APC cab anyway.

Not to mention it makes no sense to put "1/4 doors" in when the cabinet itself isn't subdivided internally. The space inside would still be wide open, after all.

Sounds like the sort of thing you could have a local fabrication shop build.

They don't have anything stock to do this, but a good company to get in touch with would be Middle Atlantic Products.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

I've been doing shared colocation for a while. Getting to know your customers before hand and understanding what they want to put in and how it will fit and how they will be accessing it helps.

On any shared cabinets I also wouldn't allow access to it without my prior authorization (ie. no key card access to the colo or key/combo access to the cab to any shared colo customers).

That said... I also have not seen anything less than 1/4 cabinets. I also worked with a fabricator for cabinet parts before and building your own would be VERY expensive.

We do octal cabinets, but they're pretty darn expensive (if just buying one, in the $5k/cabinet ballpark).

Quarter cabs will set you back in the $3-4k/cab ballpark from everywhere I've shopped. Theres a reason quarter/octal cabinets aren't 1/4 - 1/8 the price of a full cab, and why so few have them.

Wow.

I can't see paying 5k for a cabinet unless it came with some hardware. I have never paid over $250 for a cabinet and I have some really nice Dells, two Suns, and an APC cabinet. I think you are better off spending the money on a decent camera if or just being at the data center every time they need access.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

Quote Originally Posted by OpenReaction View Post
    Wow.

I can't see paying 5k for a cabinet unless it came with some hardware. I have never paid over $250 for a cabinet and I have some really nice Dells, two Suns, and an APC cabinet. I think you are better off spending the money on a decent camera if or just being at the data center every time they need access.
    I guess thats one of the many things that separates the big boys from the small.

Our cheapest cabinets are a touch under $1,500.00 after delivery. Ebay is great, but you cant rely on it for racks/cabinets, if you want a facility thats well designed/built/matches. Cabinets last as long as your business does really, its a one time investment, so you might as well sink some coin into something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    I guess thats one of the many things that separates the big boys from the small.

Our cheapest cabinets are a touch under $1,500.00 after delivery. Ebay is great, but you cant rely on it for racks/cabinets, if you want a facility thats well designed/built/matches. Cabinets last as long as your business does really, its a one time investment, so you might as well sink some coin into something worthwhile.
    Big from the small eh?

We don't get cabs from ebay. We get them from a local wholesaler when they come off leases. I assure you that my year old Dell cabs that I paid $200 bucks for are just as good as the ones you dropped $1,500 on. They look just as good as the ones some of the other companies in my data center got new and I paid a fraction of the price. They show no signs of use and when placed side by side with a new one they are identical.

So why would I pay 1.5k when I can get the exact same cab for $200? Is that where your customers money is going?
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

Quote Originally Posted by OpenReaction View Post
    So why would I pay 1.5k when I can get the exact same cab for $200? Is that where your customers money is going?
    Actually, we dont buy Dell cabinets, but thats another story, and yes, thats one of many places our money goes.

I'm all for buying second hand where possible, but I can think of at least 4 facilities within the same building (carrier hotel, 151 front) that have tried that same approach, and failed in keeping things consistent, as they couldn't get used cabinets when they needed them in the identical design.

If you've got a local supplier who can give them to you for $200/pop, thats great, but my statement remains beyond that.

Actually, they also have 1/8 cabinets. There are a few of these at the datacenters in Montreal.
    I also recall seeing pictures of some European datacenters also sporting very small locked spaces (2 to 3Us).

I'm sure that with a little bit of searching you could find such cabinets.