Requests for sponsorship of free hosting..

Hi guys,

Once again we've been asked to sponsor - a project as they like to call it - free hosting. We usually get a few requests every week. Just wondering if anyone else gets these requests. We usually refer them to RackShack for a cheap dedicated since we don't think it is the best of ideas to put free hosting customers and paying customers on the same server. Oh.. And they usually ask for a HUGE package with lots of space and bandwidth.

Oh well...
    (SH)Saeed

Just goes to show that everyone wants something for nothing. You should have reffered them to ***** or something...
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I have had the one or two.. I never put them on my servers but do usually try and help them out.

If you do you are given them a server you are pretty much give money away to the competion..
    ...::: HOST APPROVAL :::...
    Web Hosting Directory
    http://www.hostapproval.com/
    http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

Hm....this gives me an idea.

Cars typically have the manufacturers name somewhere visible on the car. I think later today I'm going to walk into a local dealership and tell them I'd like a free car so they can sponsor me. Wish me luck!

(SH)Saeed,

You could refer the person to one of the many free hosts on the Web (GeoCities, Tripod, FreeDedicatedServers.com, etc.) if you want to be polite. If the person still persists, maybe offer them maybe one month or so of free hosting, or even a year of it, in exchange for something from them. Just an idea.

We hosted a couple forums over the past month that did between 10-25gb of bandwidth a month a threw a full size banner on them.. Got a couple of sales but mainly use it for publicity. And also we get serveral requests a week alot along with the "i will be you tech for $80US a month" offers..,

Re: Requests for sponsorship of free hosting..

Originally posted by (SH)Saeed
    Hi guys,

Once again we've been asked to sponsor - a project as they like to call it - free hosting. We usually get a few requests every week. Just wondering if anyone else gets these requests. We usually refer them to RackShack for a cheap dedicated since we don't think it is the best of ideas to put free hosting customers and paying customers on the same server. Oh.. And they usually ask for a HUGE package with lots of space and bandwidth.

Oh well...
    Its funny because I saw one such request posted here by one of our former clients we terminated for non-payment. She claimed she was writing on behalf of a friend who needed webhosting for a good cause and then signed her name in her signature as we had it when she was a client. The sad thing is someone gave her free hosting.

Originally posted by RackmountMan
    (SH)Saeed,

You could refer the person to one of the many free hosts on the Web (GeoCities, Tripod, FreeDedicatedServers.com, etc.) if you want to be polite. If the person still persists, maybe offer them maybe one month or so of free hosting, or even a year of it, in exchange for something from them. Just an idea.
    I think you've misunderstood me. These people want to start a free hosting company like Geocities, Tripod, etc. They don't want just one account. They want us to give them like 5GB space and 50GB bandwidth a month so that they can offer it for free to their customers and they talk like they're doing us a HUGE favor and in return putting a tiny "sponsored by" link at the bottom of their site. We do refer them to RackShack and other companies where they can get a cheap dedicated server with tons of bandwidth.
    (SH)Saeed

hehe thats too funny.
    That ppl really ask for that, i would just laugh.

I can see a 13-15 year old internet newbie....