Beware of Mike Esposito

I was contacted to do 3 psd to html jobs by Mike Esposito from sfrsweb.com. I normally would take a deposit, but I had done one small job for this client once before, so I just did the job.

Anyways, I uploaded the files for preview, and then did some modifications for him. Then I stopped hearing from him for awhile. After trying to get a hold of him for serveral days, I finally got him on AIM. He said he was going to pay, he was just waiting to hear back from his customer, as he was the one paying.

So over the weekend, I sent him the files in a zip file, as we were heading up to the hospital, and I did not want him to have to wait for them, if we were going to be up here for a few days with the baby(this time was a false alarm).

Yesterday I got a hold of him, and he said we was going to pay last night, but never did.

I keep hoping he is going to come through, and I did not want to post this here, but I have little recourse at this time, and he has been very unresponsive.

I know I should have required a deposit, but I was in a hurry to just get the project done for him, so I would have some money for when the baby came.

His username here is servicesrus.

I am pretty sure I have seen that name tied in with some other scam.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

You should not have supplied anything without payment and without the deposit. I have dealt with many freelancers in both designing and development, and with all of them, regardless of how many times I have purchased from them, I still pay the deposit and pay for the product before everything is handed to me....

Good luck on getting your money though.. Take it as a lesson learnt.

Well looks like I him mad posting this here, but I did not know what to do. He has a bit of a potty mouth too.

Session Start (craigsparks0807:mikeespo24): Wed May 07 11:39:34 2008
    [11:39] mikeespo24: Wow
    [11:39] mikeespo24: Are you serious?
    [11:39] craigsparks0807: Am I serious about what?
    [11:40] mikeespo24: That post
    [11:40] mikeespo24: Ha
    [11:40] mikeespo24: Remove me from your buddy list and never contact me again
    [11:40] mikeespo24: Toodles
    [11:40] craigsparks0807: yeah, I have been waiting and waiting, and you promised last night you would send payment
    [11:40] craigsparks0807: I feel like I have been being lead on time and time again
    [11:40] mikeespo24: Hey, Dont know what to tell you -- you get nothing now
    [11:40] mikeespo24: I told you I was waiting for customer
    [11:41] mikeespo24: Whatever
    [11:41] mikeespo24: Dont msg me anymore your a prick
    [11:41] mikeespo24: Cya later
    [11:41] craigsparks0807: Session Start (craigsparks0807:mikeespo24): Tue May 06 13:18:54 2008
    [13:19] craigsparks0807: you around now?
    [13:19] mikeespo24: I will talk later this evening and i will haver payment for you this evening
    [13:19] mikeespo24: Promise
    [11:41] mikeespo24: No ****, that was to stop you from annoying me while I was at school taking a final
    [11:42] mikeespo24: Whatever its done
    [11:42] mikeespo24: Dont msg me
    [11:42] mikeespo24: And I wont even use those files of yours
    [11:42] mikeespo24: So dont worry
    [11:43] craigsparks0807: I still did the work
    [11:43] mikeespo24: Yeah, but you know what your an *******
    [11:43] mikeespo24: Look at that post of yours
    [11:43] mikeespo24: Like a little kid
    [11:43] craigsparks0807: I will retract and have the thread closed and erased if you send payment
    [11:43] mikeespo24: **** you
    [11:43] mikeespo24: Cya later
    [11:43] craigsparks0807: I am not a little kid, look at your language
    [11:43] craigsparks0807: I will make sure to post your follow up
    [11:44] mikeespo24: Good
    [11:45] mikeespo24: Make sure you get this line, that you are desperate for money -- and was clearly told that the project was for a client and that he would be paying. And since you were an impatient desperate person you decided to threaten me with some false pretense post on the msg board
    [11:45] mikeespo24: And now customer is disinterested and work will not even be used
    [11:45] craigsparks0807: I did the work a week ago
    [11:45] mikeespo24: So
    [11:45] mikeespo24: You finished on Thursday
    [11:45] craigsparks0807: no payment has been sent nore anything said about if the client was happy or not
    [11:46] craigsparks0807: you said payment would be made yesterday
    [11:46] mikeespo24: Alright im done talking
    [11:46] mikeespo24: Remove me from your buddy list, post your reponse, and stop msging me
    [11:46] mikeespo24: This is harassment
    [11:46] mikeespo24: And I dont have time for it
    [11:46] mikeespo24: Cya later

That is really sad. It amazes me how some people can stoop down to such levels. Oh, well, once bitten twice shy.

Wow... judging from your conversations, he's kinda rude...
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

I understand that you didn't want him to wait, and were acting in good faith, but there is liability in the web design industry and this is a prime example. ALWAYS get a down payment (50% is usually what I see) and BEFORE work is sent, request the remaining balance.

You should of been more firm if you wanted payment, though I do disagree with the actions took by the other user, and how he/she handled the situation.

Hopefully you will learn from your mistakes.

Good luck with future projects.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

looks like he has ripped off others before with a different (banned)username
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=552321

He has also used the name studioexcel and attempted to sell stolen templates at clantemplates.com there is another warning here at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517653

I saw the name sam norriss in my research, I also see mouse called him by that name in the above linked thread. Looks to be either the same or partners. Actually it looks like he has changed names numerous times.

It is obvious he intended to rip you off from the get go.
    Starts November 5th!

if he spent the effort he spent for ripping off others to conduct solid business, he would be making the same amount of money probably.

In business, there are no friends, unless they are really your friends.

So now you learn that payment comes before service (even for long-time customers).

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

He just informed me that when his client pays him, he will pay me. I will make sure to update everybody when he does. He really is not that bad of a guy, a lot of this I think was a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by csparks View Post
    He just informed me that when his client pays him, he will pay me. I will make sure to update everybody when he does. He really is not that bad of a guy, a lot of this I think was a misunderstanding.
    You are definitely more patient than I would be after that AIM conversation in which he was extremely rude.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    You are definitely more patient than I would be after that AIM conversation in which he was extremely rude.

Good luck.

I would call it naive. This idiots business plan is to rip people off, this is by no means his 1st, 2nd, 3rd..... time. As a matter of fact his entire history is built around stealing, not one honest transaction can I find in his history!
    \

But he will pay when he gets paid....naive at best.
    Starts November 5th!

Haha, my brother's name is Mike Esposito. Definitely not the same one though. Just funny seeing the title of this thread in the WHT lobby
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared Reseller Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com

Quote Originally Posted by JetNet View Post
    Haha, my brother's name is Mike Esposito. Definitely not the same one though.
    Or is it

He could be a REALLY GOOD scam artist
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Or is it

He could be a REALLY GOOD scam artist
    I don't deny that.
    It is possible.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    if he spent the effort he spent for ripping off others to conduct solid business, he would be making the same amount of money probably.
    Or most probably a lot more.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

People who constantly rip people off will sooner or later hit a brick wall.

Hopefully he's driving at the time.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Ok guys. It appears all this was a big misunderstanding.

Firstly, I did not wait long enough to post this type of post, that was my fault.

Secondly, while he has some anger issues, overall he is a pretty reasonable guy.

Thirdly, the whole template thing is from somebody else who had access to his server.

I did receive payment, and while many of you may say I am just lucky, I think he is not really a scammer.

Anyways, I am going to request this post be taken down, as its not fair to tarnish somebody's name, when there is not really a just cause.

I commend your patience, and your willingness to forgive and to forget. If the world was full of more people like you, maybe it really will be a better place.

However, still treat this situation as a lucky break, and LEARN FROM IT as if you didn't receive the payment.

Quote Originally Posted by csparks View Post
    And my Uncle's cat needs some AJAX for his litterbox. You live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And my Uncle's cat needs some AJAX for his litterbox. You live and learn.
    tell that bastard that ajax is gonna make rashes in his butt and he should go with php/mysql instead

Glad it all worked out. WHT got me my money back too! (Well 50% of it )
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music