virtualized windows environment on linux server

hey guys,

here's something of a challenge... i have a high end linux server, low load. i'm looking for ideas as to how i can get a windows 2003 machine hosted up onto it (i have a license already) on one of the machine's dedicated IPs, and set it up to host ASP based websites with MS access (have the license already too). Any tutorials or suggestions how this can be set up?

Cheers,

If the CPU is recent enough to have the virtualization extensions, then your best bet is probably KVM.

KVM is a kernel module and modified QEMU that work together to provide a complete virtualized environment (BIOS screens and all) running at near native speeds (comparable to and maybe even better than Xen).

Think of it as Xen without the hassle of setting up a special dom0.

When I tried KVM the module compiled and loaded first time (it is also included in the main kernel as of 2.6.20), and I had a virtual machine booting moments later. Because it is a complete system emulation it is as easy to use as a real machine.

http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki

Setting it up with a dedicated IP is fairly simple using a preconfigured tun/tap device.

Jim
    Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPS
    KVM Plans - Multiple OS support. Virtual console and CD drive.

At the current moment im time I don't personally reccomend Xen to be used for Windows on Linux hosts. Sure it works but performance really isnt upto scratch.

We have been delaying offering Windows VDS on Xen for months and months now, primarily down to IO speed and freezing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris E View Post
    At the current moment im time I don't personally reccomend Xen to be used for Windows on Linux hosts. Sure it works but performance really isnt upto scratch.

We have been delaying offering Windows VDS on Xen for months and months now, primarily down to IO speed and freezing issues.
    You should try PV Windows. Haven't tried myself, but it is defenatily faster then in HVM-mode..