Feel cheated by hostgator affiliate program

I have just signed up with hostgator's affiliate program. Managed to convince my sister to sign up for the webhosting program which she initially wanted to go for another. However, my sister does not have a paypal or credit card and asked for to get it done for her. I did it for her and have even communicated with hostgator that I was handling it for my sister. However, they did not credit my account for this referal saying that I cannot do it for my sister. She must do it herself. Why didn't they tell me earlier? After all my explanations and the one who called up to confirm the purchase was my sister, they still do not want to pay me. I am very upset about this. Has anyone faced problems with hostgator and did they really solve your problem? I even convinced my friends to promote them but now I changed my mind.

If I was running an affiliate program and one of my members offered signup this way, I'd of denied payment too.

I don't participate in their program, but I don't doubt their TOS mentions something about these type of signups. If you do it on behalf of the actual "purchaser", you become the "purchaser".

In this case, why should they pay you for referring yourself. If you really need that affiliate credit, have your sister sign up for PayPal too. If i'm not mistaken PayPal also has an affiliate program.

I havent looked at their TOS but i'm guessing that they restrict affiliates claiming commissions for their own hosting packages. You can imagine that the fact that you paid and setup your "sisters" hosting sure looks to host gator like your circumventing their TOS. Its clear that all transactions must be at arms length.

Anyway, I still think it sucks that you didnt get the commission but I can understand why HG has taken this stance otherwise other affiliate could run rampant. Take it as a lesson and make sure that all transactions in the future are appropriate.

Best of Luck

Okay, well when you talked to them did you talk via phone, email, live chat?

If you have a copy of this email there support say this is bogus i'm strait out ticked that i mentioned this and you all didn't tell me this before when i was telling you all that i was going to do this for her and they knew this and didn't say i couldn't... I feel cheated you all need to fix this.

Is your sisters name on the account?
    Jason

I think that they are doing things correct and they try to take care of your sistedr first of all. I think that you or your sister must prove your ralationaships. And better to do that via telephone.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

You feel cheated because you're trying to cheat them into giving your sister free hosting & some free cash for you? Please!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I'd have to say HostGator does have a good point -

You're better off using a Referral program as apposed to a Affiliate program. However in an case you should not sign others up under your name/PayPal in any circumstance as it conflicts with the actual purpose of the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    You feel cheated because you're trying to cheat them into giving your sister free hosting & some free cash for you? Please!
    I thought I was the only one who saw it that way.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

$78.00 does not sound free to my sister. She's in it for long term so we paid up for half yearly including domain name. So, tell me where am I cheating them? To cheat them for so little an amount insults me and I am not into the cheating business. Yes, I can prove she and me are related because both of us have the same surname. The communication we had with HG was by email but my sister did phone up to complete the sale as I told her I can help her with the payment part but they would want to speak to her personally which she did. Initially, she wanted me to handle that for her too but I said I couldn't coz if they wanted to verify some things that only she knows, I cannot answer. My only mistake was helping her out because she has no credit card to sign up for paypal either. I guess I learned my mistake.

Your only mistake was attempting to cheat their affiliate system & get free hosting in the meantime. Seriously, if you're getting $125 for signing up your sister (on your own credit card / paypal), and she's paying $78 you both get to share $45 and get free hosting out of it for a year.

It might not be "cheating" in the regular sense, but in essence it's no different.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

And yes, the the account is in my sister's name. I, myself have signed up an account with them, paid for yearly. From the account, we both have different first names but same last name and both different phone numbers and address.

Excuse me, host gator does not pay me $125.00 for signing up someone new. Hostgator only pays $25.00. Please go read up their affiliate programe before you accuse me. Geez, what's the matter with you? You don't even know me and you accuse me of something like this?

I have just signed up for the hostgator affiliate program for 2 weeks. I'm new to this affiliate thing and made a genuine mistake and instead of helping people out who needs help, you come here to condemn. Thank you very much.

Now, I know understand why you make such accusations. It is because you run a hosting program yourself and probably someone has done something to cheat you before and you think that everyone is the same.
    Last edited by Mike V; 05-07-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Posts merged

Hostgator only pays $25.00.
    Actually, $50 is the minimum.

If you're paying for the hosting, then you're effectively the customer, and the terms state clearly you don't get paid in such a situation. It would be no different with other hosts/affiliate programs BTW.

It is too expensive for us to do it by phone coz we do not reside in the US. Email was our next best option. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I learned from my mistake.

I am sorry, I only got paid $28.00 for one sign up and not the $50.00 you mentioned. I guess the $3.00 extra is from the purchase of a new domain name and $25.00 from the webhosting.

I don't understand (am new to all this affiliate thing). Yes, I am a customer plus I signed up for an affiliate and after that my sister joined through my affiliate and I don't qualify for it because I am already a customer? Does it mean I cannot be an affiliate if I am customer?
    Last edited by Mike V; 05-07-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Posts merged

To cheat them for so little an amount insults me
    Yet you cannot afford a simple phone call?
    It is too expensive for us to do it by phone coz we do not reside in the US
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by malgal128 View Post
    I don't understand (am new to all this affiliate thing). Yes, I am a customer plus I signed up for an affiliate and after that my sister joined through my affiliate and I don't qualify for it because I am already a customer? Does it mean I cannot be an affiliate if I am customer?
    No it means people should sign up with your link...just not YOU!
    Starts November 5th!

I'm sorry, I only receive $28.00 for one sign up for domain and webhosting. I don't understand (sorry for my ignorance as I am new to all this affiliate thing), does it mean because I am a customer, I cannot sign up to be an affiliate member to promote HG?

Okay I get it. I cannot help others to sign up through my link coz they think it is a fraud right?

Guess we all have to make some mistakes along the path of learning. I made mine and now it's time to move along. Thank you to all who tried to help me understand what went wrong. Appreciate it.

Now, I wonder why I only received $28.00 and not $50.00

Oops sorry, I just checked, no commission and it is for a $28.95 sale. I thought the sale was the commission.

I thought you were being helpful and didn't read your earlier post. How about you trying to call a foreign country, then put on hold for quite some time, then check your bills for it. It can work out to be quite a huge amount. If you don't believe me, email me and I will give you my phone number to call and you see what your bill works out to.

I also hope that should you one day be faced with a problem and need help, people will be kinder to you in advice and not accuse you of anything you did not do.
    Last edited by Mike V; 05-07-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Posts merged

What did I accuse you of? The only thing I even considered accusing you of is whining if a response does not go your way.
    Starts November 5th!

I was just about to say the same thing

Your only mistake was attempting to cheat their affiliate system & get free hosting in the meantime. Seriously, if you're getting $125 for signing up your sister (on your own credit card / paypal), and she's paying $78 you both get to share $45 and get free hosting out of it for a year.

It might not be "cheating" in the regular sense, but in essence it's no different.
    Yes! It sense something like that. But at the same time, its neither wrong, if they are looking for customers, then why not people look for some cash for referrals.

But i would not blame HG as they have been with in their TOS.

It is not my nature to cheat and I have no way of proving it here. I notice most of you here are webhosters and maybe you had bad experiences before with cheaters. And I don't know why you think that I am getting $125.00 which I am not. I didn't even get anything for one who signed up on their own. I don't really understand it. I am new to this and I have only two sign ups including my sisters. Now, tell me how again that I am getting $125.00.

Quote Originally Posted by malgal128 View Post
    However, my sister does not have a paypal or credit card and asked for to get it done for her.
    That could have easily been fixed if she (or you) have a Walgreens nearby and don't mind paying a small fee of $4.95

She could have purchased a VISA debit card. Anyone can get one, no minimum age, and no credit check. After you purchase the VISA debit card, go home register it on their website, where you specify the name and billing address. Then you're ready to start using it. Since it's a physical debit card you can use it for online purchases or locally.

As far as I have managed to check myself, Hostgator has a honest affiliate programm as they fix all sales made from my web site. Your situation is called self-referencing and this is usually forbidden!

We don't have a walgreens in our country. To apply for a credit card here, we need a minimum verified income of at least $36,000.00 per year (used to be $24,000.00). We have to apply through banks. She doesn't qualify for it. Never mind, we will try to figure out something to help her have some kind of account that she can use online to make purchases for herself in future.

Our country also did not have the priviledge of using paypal because we cannot withdraw money from it previously. However, they have made it better for us by letting us withdraw it through our credit card now. So, those without a credit card still have some problems.