False info on domain whois?

Hello ppl. What happens in practice if you add invalid information on a domain's whois?

I mean, 1 of my domains has my real info, and the others use private whois. But never my info was verified or required by anybody, neither my host, the registrar or ICANN. So how can they be sure that info is real or not?

Is there any known case where an international domain was deleted due to false whois info?

Usually, it is even impossible to order a domain your information is not real. Most likely, your domain account will be locked by billing team of your registrar company as the order will not manage to go through fraud checking procedure. I would advise you not to joke with this things and setup WhoisGuard protection option for this domain.

Also, if you have unvalid whois information you may face problems when transferring a domain from one registrar to another, as far as I know transfer confirmation email is sent to administrative email in such cases.

Valid contact information can help you prove ownership of a domain name if disputes arise. If for some reason you no longer have access to the email address you listed the registrar still has a phone number and postal address they can use to verify that you are the registered owner of the domain.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

There is no point in giving false information in whois of the domain. If you are going to do business for long term then you should give correct information.

The registrar can terminate your domain if someone complains about your false information and they are unable to contact you.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DProf4online View Post
    Usually, it is even impossible to order a domain your information is not real. Most likely, your domain account will be locked by billing team of your registrar company as the order will not manage to go through fraud checking procedure. I would advise you not to joke with this things and setup WhoisGuard protection option for this domain.
    You're wrong, You can register a domain with every credentials you "wish"

You guys didn't understand me. I know it is ilegal to give false info, and that if somebody complains on registrar I will have problems.

My point is, when I registered the domains nobody asked to confirm my info. Only way they could confirm my phone is doing an international call and talking to my bad english speaking, and to confirm my address is sending an international mail with some code I should type on their site.

Do they do any of those, in a pratical manner?

And if they phone me and I'm not at home and who answers doesn't even know english, what will happen?... If they deal with it as invalid information, I can have problems even with real info. If they keep trying, I can just use false info of some place I know that there is nobody that knows english...

About false info, I'm not saying unaccessible info. email can be valid, but address and phone being false. If they send me email I just answer it, which has nothing to do with geographical info.

Also it is just a curiosity I had. At least ATM there is a registrar with good prices and free private whois

I am not sure if it is possible to buy a domain in such a way at all

I understand you are just curious about it, Hikari. But given the possible negative consequences of entering false info, why would you even ever consider it? There is no apparent gain. Simply enter all accurate info. In the end, you are protected by the truth.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Yeah I know, the risk of losing the domain doesn't worth it. If you want to hide your identity and somebody else wants to find you, when he discovers ur domain info is false he can just complain about it and make u lose the domain.

I also know a few domains that use what seems to be private and more reclude whois info protection business, they are not registrars and have simple pages with poor contact info.

If it is not common to see domains with false info I just wonder what happens to them. Just ppl being sincere at all? Or are there cases of ppl losing their domains?

My question is, if my info was never verified, I could have put false info instead of private whois and at least until today I'd have my domains normally. So what is ICCAN and registrars control over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    My question is, if my info was never verified, I could have put false info instead of private whois and at least until today I'd have my domains normally. So what is ICCAN and registrars control over it?
    Again, it begs the question - why would you ever want to enter false info??

Just put in true info. If you ever have to legally fight legal ownership of your site, you will always be on the right side of the law.

What is the benefit of false info? The only reason I can phathom is that you are conducting illegal activity and don't want to be traced. But if all your domains are legit, it defies logic as to why you would even consider entering false info.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I dont want to do it, I'm satisfied with private whois!

I just wanted to know if it has ever happened to somebody lose its domain due to false whois info, and how it is verified

Like I said, what if ICCAN phone me and I'm not home, in exemple?

I'm not saying I wanna do it, I used me as an exemple

I was just curious on why whois authenticity is respected and why as long as I know nobody lost its domain, and on the same time no document is required and no verification is done.

In Brasil for exemple, to register a .com.br you MUST be a business and give a business ID, you CANT register a .com.br domain as a person. And other TLD like .net.br and .org.br u must send by (analog) mail copy of special documents to be allowed to register a domain.

It seems that Hikari's question is, "How does the information that someone enters when registering a domain get validated? And when false information is discovered, do domains really get taken away?"

As regards validation, there is no explicit validation except validation that's a by-product of other processing, such as fraud detection.

When 'bad' WHOIS information is discovered (and reported) the registrar attempts to contact the registrant. The registrant is given fifteen days to correct the information; more time is allowed if the registrar decides to extend more time. If the registrant fails to reply within fifteen days, the registrar has the right to cancel the registration.

I'm not personally aware of any cases where a domain was cancelled for bad WHOIS data. We've had to deal with clients with bad WHOIS data, but in all cases they merely corrected the data.

I just wanted to know if it has ever happened to somebody lose its domain due to false whois info, and how it is verified
    After someone reports the invalid WHOIS to ICANN, ICANN contacts the registrar about it. What happens next is up to the registrar.

The link below is a specific example:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...amilyalbum.com

Note: each registrar has its own approach to handle such an issue. None of them are required to have a uniform and consistent process among themselves.

Thanks guys now I could understand. So the whois info is on full responsibility of the registrar, and the risc of losing a domain due to false data is our full responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Domainitor View Post
    I'm not personally aware of any cases where a domain was cancelled for bad WHOIS data.
    We once complained about a domain to godaddy. We had a new server with new IPs and the domain had tons of ns lookups against our server. We couldn't contact the owner and finally complained to godaddy. After a while godaddy came back and offered the domain to us (we refused to take it). That was around 2005.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

So the whois info is on full responsibility of the registrar, and the risc of losing a domain due to false data is our full responsibility
    You got it.

Quote Originally Posted by andren View Post
    We once complained about a domain to godaddy. We had a new server with new IPs and the domain had tons of ns lookups against our server. We couldn't contact the owner and finally complained to godaddy. After a while godaddy came back and offered the domain to us (we refused to take it). That was around 2005.
    We run a number of name servers and have configured them to return A records for our registrar site when there's a query for a domain that's not registered through us. The thinking is that if the domain's registrant is happy to steal service from us -- they are, after all, consuming our bandwidth and compute resources -- we're happy to direct their visitor to our site, rather than return a "not found" error.