Recommend me a good Dedicated host

I've been with liquidweb for a bit over 2 years now.. in the last 30 days they've been down 3 times and that's honestly cost us thousands of dollars in sales.

I've contacted both rackspace and theplanet, they're both very pretentious, lol.

Here's more or less what im looking for:

Single Processor Quad Core Kentsfield 3210
    + 4GB RAM
    + 1x 146GB 10K RPM SAS Drive
    + RedHat Enterprise 4 Linux
    + 10 IP Addresses
    + 5000GB Monthly Transfer
    + 100mbps Uplink

I've got a similar set up w/ liquid web for $253 a month.
    theplanet quoted me $309/month
    rackspace was hundreds of dollars more.

Here's my problem:

Liquidweb is great. I love them, been with them for a while. Awesome support, awesome people. However, they've gone down too many times and their network speeds arent that great. My boss is forcing me to move from them, so they're not longer an option.

Theplanet's price isnt terrible, i was going to go with them. Then I talked to rackspace and they told me theplanet is WORSE than liquidweb. Can anyone give me any input?

I should note that ideally I would prefer 8gb of ram and a 2x75gb scsii solution.

Well, ThePlanet isn't really a managed service like LiquidWeb, so you'll probably have to make an arrangement with them to get managed services. Rackspace will be more expensive but offer more in depth support, to your server and even your applications, they're mostly for people that have money and business critical applications.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cricex View Post
    I've been with liquidweb for a bit over 2 years now.. in the last 30 days they've been down 3 times and that's honestly cost us thousands of dollars in sales.
    I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble but I did want to take a second to clarify your comment that we have "been down 3 times" - We had 3 brief incidences where a small subset of our customers who connected over 1 of our internet providers experienced slow performance and high latency.

Just wanted to clarify that this wasn't a data center or complete network outage.

Thank you for your time,
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

I have experience with The Planet and did not have any issues with them. If you can afford RackSpace then they are definitely a good choice as well.

However, I haven't read anything that would sour my opinion of The Planet yet.

-fin
    Thales

I've contacted both rackspace and theplanet, they're both very pretentious, lol.

Here's more or less what im looking for:

Single Processor Quad Core Kentsfield 3210
    + 4GB RAM
    + 1x 146GB 10K RPM SAS Drive
    + RedHat Enterprise 4 Linux
    + 10 IP Addresses
    + 5000GB Monthly Transfer
    + 100mbps Uplink

I've got a similar set up w/ liquid web for $253 a month.
    theplanet quoted me $309/month
    rackspace was hundreds of dollars more.

Here's my problem:

Liquidweb is great. I love them, been with them for a while. Awesome support, awesome people. However, they've gone down too many times and their network speeds arent that great. My boss is forcing me to move from them, so they're not longer an option.

Theplanet's price isnt terrible, i was going to go with them. Then I talked to rackspace and they told me theplanet is WORSE than liquidweb. Can anyone give me any input?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...64&postcount=8

Hope that helps you a bit. SoftLayer is pretty good.

I know nothing about ThePlanet dedicated servers, but due their fault I lost some domain names... Never again.

In Your Budget You can try , pacificrack.com , iweb.com

Thanks
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble but I did want to take a second to clarify your comment that we have "been down 3 times" - We had 3 brief incidences where a small subset of our customers who connected over 1 of our internet providers experienced slow performance and high latency.

Just wanted to clarify that this wasn't a data center or complete network outage.

Thank you for your time,
    That was more or less the last nail in the coffin... Speeds have always been a big issue, for example:

http://frank.chazbox.com/files/1/speeds.jpg

I can talk my way out of reasons why the connection is slow, it's much harder to explain to my boss that there were two (according to the techs i called.) DDoS attacks and some misc 'network issue' within a 30 day period of time.

Christ, make that 4 times in 30 days.. just went down again. on the phone with their tech support now.

Christ, make that 4 times in 30 days.. just went down again. on the phone with their tech support now.
    I am very sorry for this. We have been hit again and we're working through it as quickly as possible. I'll be following up as soon as possible.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

If your main concern is network availability and speed, theplanet has it nailed. I haven't gotten a single down page for my theplanet dev server in almost two years. And it's monitored every 5 minutes. Theplanet's network availability and reach is very impressive and is always a benchmark for the network that I manage by day.

However if you need the support staff to manage your server, they are not the best choice. You should definately look at rackspace where support is king.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    If your main concern is network availability and speed, theplanet has it nailed. I haven't gotten a single down page for my theplanet dev server in almost two years. And it's monitored every 5 minutes. Theplanet's network availability and reach is very impressive and is always a benchmark for the network that I manage by day.

However if you need the support staff to manage your server, they are not the best choice. You should definately look at rackspace where support is king.
    what sort of support do they offer? I dont necessarily need my hand held, I just need to be able to talk to someone when something goes down on their end..

Rackspace will hold your hand. They seem to be a more proactive provider, as they will not only fix stuff that's broken (update stuff, etc, too.). They've always had great reviews, especially with support.

Are you purposefully looking for these large providers or are you simply needing to meet your hardware requirements and having a support crew handy?

If you find a good unmanaged server, you can always go for server management services.. eg. platinum, touchsupport etc.. they will take care of security, updates, firewall, management etc
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

It sounds like you don't necessarily need management - you just would like someone to answer the phone when the network is down to show a level of professionalism. If you need hardening/firewall setup at the beginning I strongly suggest Rack911.com 's security package.

After that, especially if you keep up on your control panel updates, you should be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibur747 View Post
    Are you purposefully looking for these large providers or are you simply needing to meet your hardware requirements and having a support crew handy?
    I want a company that's going to be around for a while

and from my experience the smaller companies are just resellers of the larger ones anyway

any more suggestions?

I've been having great results with Clearance Rack.

-fin
    Thales

Consider Load Balancing and Clustering.