Question Advice - Video Sharing Website

I am having a video sharing website designed. It's not going to be too busy to start with but I appreciate it will use a lot of bandwidth. I wont be offering the embed option so maybe that will limit the strain.

Any ideas on a good US-based host that can offer me a dedicated and managed solution with fast and friendly support? Any ideas of a monthly cost for a start-up?

Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I would recommend getting a dedicated server from a larger company like softlayer. Their servers would be more than adequate to get your site running.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

It depends how much you expect to use though, in terms of bandwidth and space needed, also what kind of hardware you estimate you will need, but for a fully managed solution expect to pay several hundred on a good server with quality bw.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

You won't need a dedicated server until your site gets active, trust me, you'll save money. As long as the host has decent servers, and don't pack customers onto one server, you'll be fine.

I can only recommend CirtexHosting for hosting a video sharing site, their servers have all of the software needed to transcode, decode, encode a video.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Well... Personally I think even a VPS would do

You can find a few VPS providers on this forum here. I suggest if you do go for VPS though, don't go for something like cPanel/DirectAdmin, it will eat up your server resources. Try LXAdmin or ISPConfig, they are very light and do exactly the same things.

Anyway, good luck

VPS uses the host server's CPU, so if your software that will run on your VPS will convert video, your VPS will use heck a lot of CPU time and other VPSes on the same server will get angry. I guess you need a dedicated server anyway.

daejuanj is right that you don't need a super-cool server at once, just order the smallest (but dedicated) server available and then change / add new ones if the video collection grows.
    McShan Florist - Dallas, Texas Flower Shop

I'm curious as to what experience anyone has where they recommend starting off with a VPS/Dedicated server for such a simple site?

He requested information regarding a dedicated server with management, and the answer was offered to him. What you did was offer a recommendation to start off smaller, which is good, as that's why this is a forum, however don't question the experience/intellect of others, as it will not lead to anything constructive.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    He requested information regarding a dedicated server with management, and the answer was offered to him. What you did was offer a recommendation to start off smaller, which is good, as that's why this is a forum, however don't question the experience/intellect of others, as it will not lead to anything constructive.
    If you don't question anyones experience (even though I haven't as no one as stated any experience) than any joe can pull something out of their rear end and we're suppose to believe it as credible.

If his mind is set on a dedicated server, than it should be moved to the appropriate forum.

I'm going to have to agree with the dedicated server camp.

If you are planning to have your server do video encoding and transcoding, then you really need to start with a dedicated server. VPS's are so oversold and CPU & I/O constrained, that it will take hours to convert a single video. When dealing with video, you need direct access to the RAM, HD and CPU... no VPS middleman. Xen, Vzzo, it doesn't really matter... VPS may be okay for web hosting and simple database work, but they are not up to the challenge of video.
    Frank Wilson | Chief Engineer
    SimpleCDN Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.simpleCDN.com
    800.269.3033 ext 704

Quote Originally Posted by FrankWilson View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with the dedicated server camp.

If you are planning to have your server do video encoding and transcoding, then you really need to start with a dedicated server. VPS's are so oversold and CPU & I/O constrained, that it will take hours to convert a single video. When dealing with video, you need direct access to the RAM, HD and CPU... no VPS middleman. Xen, Vzzo, it doesn't really matter... VPS may be okay for web hosting and simple database work, but they are not up to the challenge of video.
    Just wanted to comment you're making a broad generalization of all VPS providers. I don't know if this is from experience, but from my experience, is that if you stay away from budget providers, you won't have many problems.

Also I would like to add, I run a *small* site that converts video with sizes up to 250MB on a shared hosting plans with no issues.

It is from experience, and extensive testing of virtual machines in general. If I may ask, what resolution and compression codec are you using now for your site? When you start talking about HD, you'll need H.264 - and that will eat up resources a LOT more than just flash 7 or even VP6.
    Frank Wilson | Chief Engineer
    SimpleCDN Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.simpleCDN.com
    800.269.3033 ext 704

Quote Originally Posted by FrankWilson View Post
    It is from experience, and extensive testing of virtual machines in general. If I may ask, what resolution and compression codec are you using now for your site? When you start talking about HD, you'll need H.264 - and that will eat up resources a LOT more than just flash 7 or even VP6.
    Nothing in Highdef of course. All movies are converted into flash with resolution of 480x360 and encoded with at least 356 kbps bitrate.

I understand what you're saying, for do more resource intesive conversions, a dedicated server is needed.. But it's hard to give an accurate answer to the OP, since he hasn't stated much. For all we know, his videos could be hosted on Youtube.

I have a lot of experience with video sharing sites, I have created quite a few myself and I really do not believe that a dedicates is needed right away. There are even some Shared ffmpeg Hosts out there that can handle it pretty well.
    Last edited by Mike V; 05-07-2008 at 10:54 PM.

I recommend dedicated server too.. You might need lots of bandwith, if the file size is 100MB, bandwidth needed will be 100MB.. So if you get 10 views on one video, 1GB transfer is gone.... I shut down my video site becuase i maxed out bandwith in 2 weeks..