Colocation .. what do i need ?

I just bought a server from silicon mechanics ( OS installed ), and i was thinking to go colo with NetRiver, Currently im using Dedicated Server.
    my question is

what do i need to do ? do i have to install php, mysql, phpmyadmin or i can just ask Netriver to install cpanel and all those things will be installed automatically ? by the way i need to use it to Run Vbulletin Forum, i have backup everything from FTP and Sql ( from phpmyadmin)

is there any guide to help me out here since i know nothing about it. thanks

Silicon Mechanics can install OS for you, then ship it to Netriver. NR tech will rack server and assign IP for you. You can also ask them for the IP first. After your server is online, you can ssh to it and install cPanel. cPanel will install php, apache, mysql, etc. So, make sure to ask Silicon Mechanics using minimal option when installing OS for you.

However, it seems you are not familiar with server management?

If you are going colo not many companies will install the software for you as it is yours and your responsibility. To install php and mySQL i would just install c-Panel alot easier to do it that way, and to install it just make a ssh connection to the server and type in the installation command that c-Panel or the c-Panel license reseller will give you when you purchase the c-Panel licnese
    - W4 Networks
    www.w4networks.com

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    Silicon Mechanics can install OS for you, then ship it to Netriver. NR tech will rack server and assign IP for you. You can also ask them for the IP first. After your server is online, you can ssh to it and install cPanel. cPanel will install php, apache, mysql, etc. So, make sure to ask Silicon Mechanics using minimal option when installing OS for you.

However, it seems you are not familiar with server management?
    hi gate2vn, thanks for your suggestion before, Adam give me a good deal and im really happy with it,

and Yes im not familiar with server management at all, i just know how to run forum , thats all . LOL

another question for you, what do you mean by "make sure to ask Silicon Mechanics using minimal option when installing OS for you."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wicksy View Post
    If you are going colo not many companies will install the software for you as it is yours and your responsibility. To install php and mySQL i would just install c-Panel alot easier to do it that way, and to install it just make a ssh connection to the server and type in the installation command that c-Panel or the c-Panel license reseller will give you when you purchase the c-Panel licnese
    Adam from NetRiver gonna help me to install it, i think. He is pretty helpful. So basically in able to install Vbulletin i just need Cpanel, thats all i need yeah ?

any hosting panel should be compatible with Vbulletin,(sorry im not familiar with it my self) but yes c-Panel would be one of the most easiest control panels to use while trying to configure a website/server or forum as such
    - W4 Networks
    www.w4networks.com

Quote Originally Posted by godofwar View Post
    another question for you, what do you mean by "make sure to ask Silicon Mechanics using minimal option when installing OS for you."
    there are few options when installing OS. You just pass it to Silicon Mechanics staff, and they will understand

Just means you don't need the fancy KDE or Gnome desktop with all the icon sets etc. to take up hard disk space, just installs basic services like SSH for you to login remotely and yum-install anything else that you need.

The customer should ensure that the hardware vendors loads the system with a minimal OS install, binds the necessary IP addresses and ensures SSH is enabled at boot. I would also suggest hiring a server management firm to secure and optimize the server as needed.

Can a provider like Dell do this for you? What if you want an OS that isn't in the list ( like CentOS for example )