Geo load balancing via timing connections

I'm working on a script to help users get routed to the nearest, fastest server for the best ping. I'm in 2 datacenters, one on the east and one one the west coast of the US.

I've looked at some of the geo lookup programs based on IP, but they either seem inaccurate or expensive.. and just downright difficult to use.

I found out that some geo load balancers use the connection speed to figure out the best route. So, I'm trying to think of a way of timing the users connection from multiple server locations.

Has anyone here done that sort of thing before? Any suggestions on how to best do that?

Two completely different methods I've considered:
    1. putting 2 images on a web page, and using javascript to time the loading of them.
    2. pinging the user IP from each coast and seeing which is fastest. (Is there a lighter way than ping? )

Hi

Not sure why you would want to do this, but why not when you setup the sites for customers just test there connection / ping time and put them on the quickest server for them.

Thanks

I have a thousands of users a day. This isn't web hosting, I need an automated way to doing this. Think gaming server, where ping time is important.

The javascript time doesn't seem to be fast enough to measure the difference between east and west.

The simplest way would be to use anycast DNS

Well if you have your own asn, ip's, etc you can do BGP anycast in multiple locations.
    Simple google search for bgp anycast gave up a pretty nice article
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/12/31/173152/86
    This could be the best way to deal with your issue

I presume your client sessions are long lived because they are playing games.

In that event, why not just direct them to the nearest server using geolocation, and then let them manually test/select the server they want to continue with?
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com