Post Why Customers prefer CPANEL over X X X?

Hi everyone,

We have been getting a high quantity of requests for our VPS's with CPANEL preinstalled.

However, we feel that CPANEL uses way too many resources, and honestly its a bit expensive for what it does.

So, here's the deal, WHY CPANEL, and not Open source alternatives such as ISP Config?

Please give me some other Open Source (aka free), Web Hosting panels, as part of this poll!?

I personally always have favored doing everything on the 'bare' system, this is why CPANEL doesn't make too much sense for myself.

So, what is it about cpanel and plesk, etc thats so much better against the free options out there?

Thanks!

I prefer hsphere more than Cpanel due to the way it seperates each domain its got hosted under your account.

I think most people go for CPanel because that is what they know and understand. On my VPS I prefer bare and use what I need and nothing more

I think people prefer CPanel because it has so much of the market share. It's what they're used to and it's probably what their clients want, just because it's what's they've always used. They don't care how it works from a technical standpoint; they just want it to work. Why spend time learning a new control panel, even though it may be technologically superior?

You can't really beat cPanel (IMO) for reselling the hosting. I just host a few personal project sites so Plesk seems to work fine for me. I like using a paid license because it comes with more support than something that's open source generally. With the new version of cPanel coming out (almost a stable release) for VPS, I might make the switch if it uses around the same resources as Plesk. Perhaps it has something to do with normally everyone starting out with shared hosting, and most shared hosting is done with cPanel. So naturally people when they switch to VPS will want cPanel as their control panel because they're used to it and know how it works.

Its because people are used to it... its like an old pair of shoes you cant part with. People know what they are getting with CP and dont want to try the unknown only to find it doesnt appeal to them.
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

cPanel is a great option because so much of the basic server administration can be done within WHM/cPanel rather than the command line. While I would choose the command line over a GUI for most things, people that aren't really technical would much rather have a easy to use interface to manage their server.

The question is not "WHY" CPanel is good,

Is why is it chosen OVER Free Options such as ISPConfig.

Quote Originally Posted by carlostabs View Post
    The question is not "WHY" CPanel is good,

Is why is it chosen OVER Free Options such as ISPConfig.
    Well either way... that is one reason why.

DirectAdmin is pretty good from a resource and price standpoint. Then you have InterWorx that has a VPS version out that works fine too.

I have tried Interworx myself, honestly it does the job just fine!.
    I got to give DA a try

I need to convince our boss to add cpanel or DA, i just heard from them that to become a cpanel reseller (a direct one), you need to hold a minimum of 75 licenses, thats roughly $750 a month, *just* to offer it.

I have used Cpanel and DirectAdmin and find I prefer them over an open source alternative because I pay for the support if I should ever need it. It it decides to break down on me for some reason, it can be quickly remedied by paid professionals. For others it also falls into the mindset of you get what you pay for, so you would expect the paid alternative to work better than the open source alternatives. It doesn't always work this way obviously. Cpanel is also widely used so it is easy to transition it from hosts to host and not have to learn something new.

My two cents:

I would have gone with open source if I had not needed to transfer a largish site over from a shared host. Also, my new host only offers managed servers if they come with either Plesk or Cpanel. Given that I'm definitely not able to manage my own yet, it was a no brainer. I've also used Plesk at a shared hosting site, and it was okay, but not the best. So when it came to choosing, the one that allowed me to move the site the easiest way won.

I would say the fact that most shared hosting uses Cpanel, and you can only move from Cpanel to Cpanel (not Cpanel to Plesk, etc.) plays a large part in the need to have it.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past and no future. --Lazarus Long

I'm not great with the command line, so I need a GUI to do everything, and to be honest I like both Plesk and CPanel. The reason why more people prefer CPanel is probably as others have said - because they're used to it. It really doesn't take much effort to use another control panel GUI as long as it has similar functionality. Still, the last thing someone wants to do when setting up their site(s) on a new server is to have to also learn the ins and outs of a new control panel as well.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Market share. Their product is decent, but hardly perfect, and is as much a giant mass of Perl spaghetti as anything else. It comes down to market share, and "what people know".

If you know cPanel, you want to use it when you get more/move.. and since cPanel has the most market share, its a good bet its "what you know" from your first provider.

1. Easy to transfer from one CPanel host to another.
    2. Webmin is hard to learn, hard to use, frequently slow to respond and painful to use, and has very limited capabilities.
    3. CPanel takes care of security updates automatically and in my experience has been rock-solid-stable.
    4. Everyone offers CPanel and Plesk. (I hate Plesk.)
    5. As has been said, it's so hard to figure out some of these systems, that once you do learn it you want to keep that knowledge.
    6. For those with multiple servers, you gotta standardize on something!

I'd never heard of interworx until now or I might have used that instead of CPanel, because I don't really want to pay every single month. But generally speaking, lousy as CPanel support seems to be, they do keep things up to date and highly stable. Webmin doesn't do nearly as much as I need it to, and little things like e-mail and DNS are barely covered by Webmin - and where they are covered, they're covered badly. Ditto MySQL.

I tried Plesk as an alternative when I was at 1&1 (horrors!) but found Plesk difficult to use and not nearly as capable as CPanel. I do get annoyed with CPanel at times but they've done a tremendous job lately of expanding their capabilities and allowing more flexibility, e.g. with Apache includes and with the ability to build Apache from within the program without causing disaster. I still have a separate log rotation/Webalizer system so I can custom tune it.

Bloated
    Buggy
    Popular
    Pretty

In my personal experience:
    My first hosting package included cpanel and I began to feel at home with the features. Each host I moved to thereafter (shared) offered or suggested something else that was "better", and I demo'd everything that was suggested. Not my thing. Better features with cpanel.

Not being a reseller, the "memory hog" that everyone claims cpanel to be, or the "ticking time-bomb" for being no jailed root... I do not worry about. I host my own site, and a relatives. That's it, 2 sites. I am not a webhost. Cpanel is great for what it does... provides a lot of features that non-techy people can tinker with, without worrying about obliterating the complete system. Via trial and error, the others did not offer this or it wasn't as easy to understand (as cpanel was).
    That is why I prefer cpanel above any other control panel.

Wow, we installed cpanel to run 2 test sites (on a 2GB vps). These two sites combined might get 400 visits a day at most. Its using 95% of ram.

These sites were running on 256mb vps before, (bare system tho).

Thanks

Maybe I'm confusing the 2.. but ram = memory?
    Doesn't a good system "cache" to improve performance, so while you are technically not using 95%, it is just being cached.

Based on my experience using CPanel and not using it, on the same VPS, I think it uses around 64 MB of RAM when just "hanging out." Not bad.

This thread's response has been great!

Keep 'em coming!

I think what everyone else has said rings true, but namely because it's the "name brand" of control panels and most people are used to it and comfortable with it.

Unfortunately from a providers standpoint its just what people prefer.. so that's what we offer. I personally like Direct Admin as a light-weight alternative.. ISP Config seemed sort of.. jenky?
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

ISP Config looks rather primitive, not too mention I doubt many or any billing softwares support it. (if it even supports automated provisioning) There are many good control panels, I just don't think that is one of them... If you want cheap and lightweight, lxadmin is pretty good.

Yep

I have to agree, ISPconfig does look primitive.

My boss was surprised on the response on this thread, and well look at my signature now

Direct Admin however seems like a better option, I tested it myself, and have to say I really like it. Also for LxAdmin, it does it all, it just looks odd, but its perfect.

Of course cPanel is now the one with the most demand

Thanks again, this thread help me pull strings here and there!