Forbidden error - newbie need help

Signed up with ipowerweb(mistake). They were supposed to register domain name. After 2 weeks whenever trying to access the website using the domain name we registered all we got was " Don't have permission to access on this server, Forbidden 403error" Does this mean they never registered the name or did not set somthing up or were we supposed to do something?
    Got my $$ back from them except for $20 for domain registration. They said I could have it transferred from them. Still looking for good inexpensive hosting. Any help Appreciated.
    Last edited by Bookie; 08-22-2002 at 07:38 PM.

It looks like the domain name has been set up since it pointed somewhere. The 403 Forbidden error means that the page you were trying to access is restricted and not viewable by the public. It should just be a misconfiguration or something.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Hey Mom! Glad you came to the right spot to make that known! However, as far as iPowerWeb, you're in good company. I'm sorry you had those things happen, but here you'll be able to check out from a great list of hosts.. my advice.. ONCE YOU FIND ONE.. go to the search button up top.. and do a search for that name. You'll come up with something soon! It's worth doing your homework cuz you'll avoid discussions such as these. Have fun!

Did you upload "index.html" in the "www" folder via a FTP? If not, this may have been the problem.
    If you ever need help, e-mail me!
    Remember: "You get what you pay for."
    AOL Instant Messenger Handle: thejokerwht

Can you FTP into the account? If you can, make sure it's chmodded correctly.

Originally posted by The Joker
    Did you upload "index.html" in the "www" folder via a FTP? If not, this may have been the problem.
    Why didn't I think of that ? I guess probably because usually they would have set up a standard index.html page when you set up the account.

But yes, this could be the reason too.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

You are all great for helping me out here.
    I do not believe index.html was upload in the www folder via a FTP. I will check with my daughter, this is her baby.
    Anyway, right now there is no website as we closed the account with ipowerweb. looking for new host at about $8/mo with 100mg space, with sql and some other features.

You check out the Shared Hosting Offers in the Special Offers section of this site for current specials. You should find one which meet your requirements there.

If not, just post your requirements under Web Host Request and I am sure you will have responses there too.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Bookie
    You are all great for helping me out here.
    I do not believe index.html was upload in the www folder via a FTP. I will check with my daughter, this is her baby.
    Anyway, right now there is no website as we closed the account with ipowerweb. looking for new host at about $8/mo with 100mg space, with sql and some other features.
    No problem. We're all here to help.. well, most of us. Try posting in the "Web Hosting Requests" and take a peek in "Shared Webhosting Special Offers" forum(s) here at WHT. I'm sure you'll find something to suit your daughter's needs.

Take care,

-Edward
    If you ever need help, e-mail me!
    Remember: "You get what you pay for."
    AOL Instant Messenger Handle: thejokerwht