help me out of the Wild West !!

Greetings.

I'd like to consolidate my domain names to one provider.

One of them, the one I use the most, is registered via Wild West.
    I've been using (and paying for) the site for 2+ years now.
    I've got about 6 weeks to go on the current annual term.

I note that whois says nothing about me, and the site is in a totally "update-prohited" status:

I understand that Wild West is a sister company of GoDaddy, and I've read horror stories about things getting problematic when one tries to leave.

Can anyone provide (or point me in the direction of any threads that provide) a decent list of "Thou shalt ..." and "Thou shalt not ..." regarding
    1) protecting my rights to the site name
    and
    2) easing the transfer.

As well, if anyone would care to recommend a reputable registrar with a good interface and good customer service (not necessarily the least expensive), I'd welcome that as well.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
    Last edited by expatCanuck; 05-05-2008 at 11:05 AM.

GoDaddy or Name would be my choices.

All that Prohibited stuff is normal when the domain is locked. Simply unlock the domain and requested the Authorization Code. With that. Simply request a transfer from your registrar of choice. What concerns me a bit, is you say your name isn't mentioned. Do you have privacy protection? You should remove that first. Whose email address is it in the Registrant and admin contacts? Hopefully it's your's (and valid). You are wise to begin this transfer early. To give you time to resolve any problems which might arise.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    ..What concerns me a bit, is you say your name isn't mentioned. Do you have privacy protection? ...
    Actually, upon some investigation, while the terse whois listing just mentions Wild West, the full Wild West (who.securepaynet.net) listing shows my name & address and email as the admin contact.
    Thanks again.
    - Richard