Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    144

    How to check if company DC owner or not.

    Hello!
    Do you know Utropicmedia.net has own datacenter? They seem start offering colocation service
    And there are lots of features included. Is it possible to provide without DC?
    I'm wondering if they bought DC or they own it for long time or still rent? How to check that?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    They could be reselling space in someone elses facility. It's almost impossible to figure out of somoene owns the DC thier in. Most realestate is owned with shell companies for liability reasons so even if you looked up the tax records the names are probably different.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    144
    You said could. But how know for sure? Or that is just impossible?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpster View Post
    Hello!
    Do you know Utropicmedia.net has own datacenter? They seem start offering colocation service
    And there are lots of features included. Is it possible to provide without DC?
    I'm wondering if they bought DC or they own it for long time or still rent? How to check that?
    Thanks.
    Pretty simple: ask them
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

    Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

  5. #5
    They could very well have a floor rented, or cages in a large DC, you can't really know for sure.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    They could very well have a floor rented, or cages in a large DC, you can't really know for sure.
    you could ask, chances are if they are a reputable company, you'll get the truth.

    If they aren't reputable, they'd lie and you shouldn't be doing business with them anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Olean, NY
    Posts
    143
    In the end, you really can't tell, but a reputable company will tell you the truth (and there's nothing wrong with buying DC space from a third party, especially if they offer you useful value adds that the DC doesn't offer directly)

    Things to look for:
    (1) Does your perception of the company size match the infrastrcture? A company with 3 employees that claims to have 30K sq/ft of raised floor n+1 space doesn't add up.

    (2) Are they listed as a tenant in their building, or as a property owner in the tax rolls?

    (3) Do they appear to have their engineering talent in-house?

    (4) What do the whois records say about their IP address? ASN number? Reverse DNS of their routing path?

    Best of luck. Ultimately it comes down to your intuition.


    Cheers,
    Erek
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    34
    ^ what does reputation have to do with lying? Utropicmedia.net is not the DC owner. Do a tracert and you will find out

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawatech View Post
    ^ what does reputation have to do with lying? Utropicmedia.net is not the DC owner. Do a tracert and you will find out
    thats not a good way to find out, they could buy bandwidth from someone else.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    3,132

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deschutes, OR, USA
    Posts
    163
    Call and ask to speak to their Facilities Manager.
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Kinda dumb assumption. Unless your a tier1 carrier your going to be buying transit from someone else.
    It's not a dumb assumption. You don't need to be a Tier 1 to have your own ASN. If you're a data centre, chances are you'll have enough IP space, and multiple upstreams, which would justify your own ASN. Most data centres do have their own ASN.

    Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to have their own data centre but doesn't have their own ASN, unless they were primarily a neutral facility, since they would most likely be single-homed.

    And we're not even necessarily talking about ASN's with traceroutes. All they would need is reverse DNS.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    We (WireSix) do not own a datacenter but we have enough IP space and our own ASN (14141).

    I don't see what that has to do with anything?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dysk View Post
    In the end, you really can't tell, but a reputable company will tell you the truth (and there's nothing wrong with buying DC space from a third party, especially if they offer you useful value adds that the DC doesn't offer directly)

    Things to look for:
    (1) Does your perception of the company size match the infrastrcture? A company with 3 employees that claims to have 30K sq/ft of raised floor n+1 space doesn't add up.

    (2) Are they listed as a tenant in their building, or as a property owner in the tax rolls?

    (3) Do they appear to have their engineering talent in-house?

    (4) What do the whois records say about their IP address? ASN number? Reverse DNS of their routing path?

    Best of luck. Ultimately it comes down to your intuition.


    Cheers,
    Erek
    I think that Dysk pretty much nailed it but there are some great hosts out there that rent space, Mojo Hosting down in Miami rents space but the facilites are awesome!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    986
    I'd remember that data center has become an extremely relative term as well.. it's now commonly used to describe everything from a server to brick and mortar. The majority of the people I've spoken to call Equinix a data center.. but they're leasing most of their spaces that I'm familiar with. As dysk pointed out, however, there's nothing wrong with that.. you may really know that you're working direct with the facility owners when you're paying 3x as much as their bulk resellers are charging.

    My recommendation would be, if you really want to know how things work at that particular data center, go take a tour of the place. Who the owners are, who actually has support people on-site, and any other concerns you may have should be come apparent very quickly.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    We (WireSix) do not own a datacenter but we have enough IP space and our own ASN (14141).

    I don't see what that has to do with anything?
    The point is that if you claim to operate your own data center facility, you will most likely have your own ASN. Further, the point is also that some alarm bells should be ringing if someone claims to operate an IDC and doesn't have an ASN.

    This of course, does not flow in the reverse direction. No one is claiming that if you have an ASN, you will also own/operate your own data center.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

  17. #17
    I dont have any information on the host the OP is talking about, but I would say that if you arent sure about a host you shouldnt send your gear to them. You are just asking for a WHT post about how someone stole your money and servers. I would say that any provider has had a prospect come to them that is really questioning what they were told possibly because they got burned in the past. As a provider you have to spend a little more time on them to make them feel comfortable. It is usually worth it.

    If there are other reasons you are unsure dont do it. It never ceases to amaze me of all the WHT posts where the warning lights were flashing, the gates are down, but some people still cross the tracks. If you do that you aren't a victim.

    When you are making a decision you need to get as much information as you can and follow your instincts. Dont try to talk yourself in to something you think is a bad idea.
    Looking for next opportunity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •