Hybrid View

VPS and Min Memory

Hi All,
    How much memory would I need to run a couple of websites, with gallery,postgresql,wordpress,dotproject,spamassassin on top of usual apache, mysql, php etc?

Most of the cheap VPS starts from 196MB or 256MB. 512MB upgrades are expensive :p

Spamassassin, apache and mySQL eat a lot of ram. Get one with at least 256MB RAM.

Or if you run lighttpd instead of apache, you can run it with 128MB pretty fast.

cPanel recommends a minimum of 256M. Once the stable VPS optimized versions are released, it needs lesser (as they say !). Even in the edge releases, we experience the difference.
    if you do not need cPanel, you can get all these working smooth if you have just a couple of sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 227b View Post
    cPanel recommends a minimum of 256M. Once the stable VPS optimized versions are released, it needs lesser (as they say !). Even in the edge releases, we experience the difference.
    if you do not need cPanel, you can get all these working smooth if you have just a couple of sites.
    Agreed.. DirectAdmin and Plesk can squeak by with 256MB of RAM, but even then only for a few sites.

-Robert
    BitPath Networks, LLC - Professional VPS Hosting Services
    cPanel, DirectAdmin, and Plesk VPSs on the Virtuozzo Platform

I would start out with at least 256MB and then you should be able to upgrade from there if necessary.

-Robert
    BitPath Networks, LLC - Professional VPS Hosting Services
    cPanel, DirectAdmin, and Plesk VPSs on the Virtuozzo Platform

256Mb to work, 384Mb to be safe. Don't however rely on burst RAM to get you by as it might not always be available
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

I have run DirectAdmin on a 256MB smoothly... I ran about eight websites and there was no noticable delay/problems relating to resource usages.

It all depends on if you plan to run these processes individually or alongside a reputable control panel such as DirectAdmin, cPanel and the likes. If you are planning to run a control panel then most certainly go for the bare minimum of 256MB, however to confirm what Ross said then always go for slightly higher and don't rely on the burst ram all the time.
    PlugAndHost.co.uk
    UK Premium cPanel/WHM Hosting - Shared and Reseller (Not Oversold)
    MSN: info@plugandhost.co.uk

Yeah, that's pretty much I thought
    Thanks for replies everyone - much appreciated :thumbup:

256mb, 512 would be a more likely upgrade imo.

I personally from years of experience (both as a client and as a host), would not suggest any VPS with less than 384MB of dedicated RAM.

Your server OS (assuming you are on a Linux or BSD server) will use 128MB easily on its own ... so with 384 still leaves you plenty of reserve RAM for running your scripts, modules, etc ...

You can get an OPENVZ VPS running Centos Hostinabox which would alloww you to run a few sites on even as low as 128MB Ram.

Hostinabox Uses about 20MB of ram when doing nothing at all.

You can also opt for a bare system! Although, most beginners can opt for cPanel!, you can also think about Lxadmin, Direct Admin, or even ISPConfig (cheaper options and less memory hoggers!)

Best of luck!

Thumbs up

vhcs is a good control panel that works well with low memory systems

http://www.vhcs.net

ISPConfig, & Interworx are low memusage too.

btw vhcs.net wont load