Thread: green hosting

green hosting

do you think there is a market for green hosting? I mean like low power servers, renewable power sources etc. I have looked around and see a few is this a gap in the market?

Everyone else seems to be using "going green" as a marketing tool.
    I think in relation to servers, you only have a specific number of usable ampage per rack, provided by the DC, which is pre-determand while the DC is being built. So the more low power servers and devices the better.

It would be cool to start seeing DC's popping up near renewable sources, like lakes for hydro-power or on hills for wind. Keeping their costs down can reduce the costs to their customers, and do their bit for the envirnment.
    Last edited by network82; 05-04-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Quote Originally Posted by stratdude View Post
    do you think there is a market for green hosting? I mean like low power servers, renewable power sources etc. I have looked around and see a few is this a gap in the market?
    I think it depends on the area. Here in Michigan, everything "green" is a big deal because our state government decided to base our future on alternative energy. They've even got "Green Weekend" festivals in a couple of the local cities going on this spring/summer. Dell recently got some publicity for "going green" at their plants. Definitely has some potential if you ask me.
    www.CanisHosting.com, Shared, Reseller, & VPS

Yup, sure would cost some money to do but I think building a new DC somewheres that is green would indeed be a good money maker..
    just need to get a few more partners on board and I would certainly be in for building out such a thing..
    Frank Spaulding COO Purity Networks

Quote Originally Posted by stratdude View Post
    It would be an interesting marketing endeavor. "Our servers are powered by the wind".

If you went green, I think it would need to be full-blown. Not just low power servers or buying into a community wind power. Everything from A to Z.

Anyway, anything has a market when properly marketed. I think it is getting easier and easier to market green hosting. This is especially the case with the way the economy is.

For us, we have always made it a point to use equipment that is very "energy friendly". However, we have never made it a point to market it. I guess doing our part for the environment is just how we do business.
    mnRack
    KVM Hosting
    10 Gigabit & SSD
    Call Us - 612.234.5418

We tried to incorporate the green "feeling" by having our website in green. But it doesn't go beyond that...

Quote Originally Posted by ServeByDesign View Post
    It would be an interesting marketing endeavor. "Our servers are powered by the wind".

If you went green, I think it would need to be full-blown. Not just low power servers or buying into a community wind power. Everything from A to Z.

Anyway, anything has a market when properly marketed. I think it is getting easier and easier to market green hosting. This is especially the case with the way the economy is.

For us, we have always made it a point to use equipment that is very "energy friendly". However, we have never made it a point to market it. I guess doing our part for the environment is just how we do business.
    Chicago would be a good city to do such. have seen some atypical designs for wind turbines that actually work well in a city situation that could handle wind from any direction or speed, pretty much a year round supply of power, sweet thing is it has been tested and works well. (thank you discovery Science channel)
    and the owner/designer of that project is here in chicago as well.
    Beyond that im sure there would be a good deal of other things that could be done to make the project more green but that would be an amazing foundation to start from..
    Frank Spaulding COO Purity Networks

Customers who really care about "green" will know the difference between a genuine desire to improve the enviornment and a 'green' marketing plan.

If your company is truly interested in making a difference, start small. Take your staff to a park and pick up trash. Call the city and see if you and your 'crew' can clean up the side of a road. Take pictures of your 'green event,' post them on your website, and send a press release to the local media.

Don't look at it as a marketing ploy. Look at it as an opportunity to make a difference in your local community and an opportunity to work together outside of the office as a team.