creating a datacenter!

well not really, but I have a old pentium 2 lying around. I was actually wondering if I install a smll linux distro such as DSL linux, is there a way to make it into a fileserver only?

3 comptuers will connect to it.

My main computer and server will use the same internet (ive got a 5MBS line but right now I am just doing an expirment so I dont care if its slow.)

theres a laptop which connects wirelessly using my neighbours (i dont have wireless) so thats a whole different IP and differnt ISP.

and my dads computer which is about 3 KM away.

So I want to do it, store like a couple of word documents

Yes, it can be done, as long as your ISP allows it.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Hi, Can you show me a tutorial on how to do it?

I know my IP is dynamic so i'd need to know the IP at all times. Is there a software for linux that would do this?

I am not 100% on this, but you may need to have people VPN into the server... you can setup OpenVPN on the machine with a fileserver on it...

http://openvpn.net/

I may be wrong.. but i think you may need to go that route

it's all about the size of the pipe running into your computer

find the access, build it and people will come

just make sure your pipe is big enough!

A simple, no-frills approach would be (once you have the server up and running, and networked):

- Open a dyndns.org account (free) which will give you a permanent hostname for people to reach you. Read up on and install a required update-client on your server.

- Install FTP server software that supports auth-TLS on your server, or use SFTP (which uses SSH). With either of these options the login credentials (username/password) are not transmitted in plain text.

- Install a firewall on the server, and restrict access to the IP addresses of the people who you want to connect. If they are on dynamic IPs also, you can restrict access to networks, e.g., 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/16, which is still vastly better than leaving yourself open to the Internet at large.

- Create accounts on your server for your clients.

- Have your clients install a secure FTP program (that supports SFTP or auth-TLS, whichever route you go) on their computers. There are a few free ones, such as CoreFTP.