Cisco Catalyst WS-C2924-XL-EN

I'm curious as to if I could use a Cisco Catalyst WS-C2924 in a datacenter environment without any issues? Anything I should know about this model? Just looking for a cost effective and used switch to start out with. Switch Configuration and Graphs? Thanks.

This is probably the most common switch used in data centers worldwide. Very reliable and easy to manage.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Where is a good place to go to learn about the particulars of the switch configuration? Probably a google search would help lol but just looking for some advice.

What about a WS-C1924-A?

Stick with the 2924.

2900's are the MOST used switches, and pretty cheap.
    1900's are soooo old!
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Just make sure you've got the one with the 4Mb flash. If you end up with an older one with 2Mb flash, you can't run the latest IOS and you can't do VLAN tagging.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Can that be upgraded?

1900's use CatOS instead of IOS, and are a definite no-no. You can't get any useful realtime stats on them, and no PPS stats period, so if one of your customers is involved in a high PPS DoS attack, you'll have a much harder time finding who it is.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by xnvburlazzi View Post
    Can that be upgraded?
    The 2Mb flash cannot be upgraded to 4Mb. So bid carefully when buying these on the used market. Although I highly recommend something a bit newer like a 2950 which offers alot more features like rate limiting..
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U

You can buy them all day long on eBay, new in the box and cheap. We've got a bunch of them, and they are rock-solid.

Yeah I can see that. Prices are not that bad. I wouldn't mind a used one.

although they are widely used they have long sense been EOL.

The 2950's aren't much of a premium over the 2924s and offer higher performance, newer code trains for IOS, and are a prettier shade of green

I just feel like its a waste of a switch with only 1/4 a rack and all those open ports ....

I should clarify. We're running the 2950, not 2924. Our older 2950s have two Fast-E fiber uplinks, while the newer 2950 'T' models have two copper Gig-E uplinks. The 24 device ports are 10/100 on either model. Obviously the T model is what you need if aggregrate traffic exceeds (or is expected to exceed) 100 Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by xnvburlazzi View Post
    I just feel like its a waste of a switch with only 1/4 a rack and all those open ports ....
    You won't feel that way long-term. Never skimp on network gear.

I've managed servers for customers who used cheap switches (like a cheap $40 5-port) and can say from direct first-hand experience they are not anywhere NEAR reliable enough in a hosting environment.

They'll work at home for years with zero problems. As I type this response, behind my desk on the floor is a Netgear 5 port switch covered with dust, connecting my 3 workstations and a printer to the rest of the LAN. It's been flawless since I bought it circa 1999 or 2000. I can't even tell you the last time I power-cycled it, it's been that long. Was probably when I had to unplug everything when I replaced my UPS last year.

But this same model I've seen crash & burn in a light traffic hosting situation. Repeatedly. Had a customer with 2 web servers, a DB server, and mail server, connected to this same model 5-port Netgear. It was so unreliable, I had to put it on a PDU so he could remotely power-cycle the switch every time it locked up... which happened a few times per month, and knocked his website offline every time. (that's how he knew when the switch was down)

Initially we thought it was a defective switch, so he bought a new one and swapped it out. Same problem. It just couldn't handle the traffic, even though he was only using about 20 Mbps of bandwidth from us. The website was popular so there were a lot of sessions (hits) even though the total thoughput (Mbps) was low. The site was mostly text. He finally bought a Cisco 2950 from eBay and his problems vanished.

Netgear classic "blue metal" switches...One customer was pushing close to 100Mbps of streaming traffic on the $29.00 5-port version. No issues at all...go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Netgear classic "blue metal" switches...One customer was pushing close to 100Mbps of streaming traffic on the $29.00 5-port version. No issues at all...go figure.
    How long ago? My story was circa 2003-2004. Maybe the newer blue-metal Netgear switches (which I'm a big fan of for personal and general office use) are more robust than the ones from 5 years ago. (?)

this was back in '03. If I recall we had to lock the rate at 100-full on our upstream cisco gear.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Just make sure you've got the one with the 4Mb flash. If you end up with an older one with 2Mb flash, you can't run the latest IOS and you can't do VLAN tagging.
    I think you mean the 4MB model doesn't support trunking vs. the 8MB model which does.

The 2950/60's are probably a better bet as they are newer, support more features, and are relatively cheap.

btw does anyone have any broken cisco switches? I need a powersupply for a 2924XL EN. I also like repairing them. Yes I have no life.
    Geek

honestly you'll find a ton of clunkers on ebay that would have good psu's

Quote Originally Posted by packetm0nkey View Post
    I think you mean the 4MB model doesn't support trunking vs. the 8MB model which does.

The 2950/60's are probably a better bet as they are newer, support more features, and are relatively cheap.
    You're right, and you're right.