Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Question.

Can a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz run a game that requires 3.0ghz? Kind of confusing why it has less ghz. But games still require more than it.

What game requires 3.0GHz? The game probably came out before Dual- and Quad-Core processors were released. But yes, that should have absolutely no problem playing the game.

Yes, it does have less GHz, but it's essentially 4 processors each running at 2.4GHz. So they can handle a lot more power.

So this processor runs at a faster speed than is actually shown? Because then how do you know what supports what. Such as Half Life 2 Lost cost it requires 2.8ghz how would you know what would work?

No, it doesn't run at a faster speed than what is shown. It's multiple "cores" running in parallel. So, even though each core is only 2.4GHz, it can handle 4x the amount of processing that a single 2.4GHz chip could handle. That equates to a very powerful processor. Does that make sense?

You should have no problems playing any game with that processor. You're more likely to hit bottlenecks elsewhere (memory, video card, etc.).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_(computing)

EDIT: The problem is that you used to only shop for processors based primarily on clock speed (the amount of GHz). With the advent of multi-core chips, clock speed became less important. Things like bus speed, cache, etc. are more important than they used to be. Games that were released before multi-core chips came out still only look at the clock speed of a processor to determine its power, even though this is usually flawed nowadays. A multi-core 2.4GHz chip has multiple times the processing power of an old single-core 3.0GHz chip.
    Last edited by CArmstrong; 05-04-2008 at 05:58 AM.

Alright i got it.

Thanks

I have a Q6600 machine and I can tell you there is nothing it can not run. I've even caught myself running a 2nd app by accident. Alt + tab out and forget I'm in game and fire up a second and go play.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Requires 3GHz?

Like CArmonstrong said, it's probably from the single-core days, and even then the jerks used a Pentium 4 instead... (Athlon 3200+ would beat most P4s hands-down.)

the 3GHZ is a 3ghz pentium 4, which was an incredibly inefficient archetecture. Any Core 2 Duo should be able to take it hands down, and a C2Q should run it over.
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

There is no comparison Between 3.0 GHz processor and Q6600...

this small baby can run any games with good speed....