help finding a fast host

Great forum , congratulations on the feel and info.

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere but I could not find anything.

I have a site that is currently hosted in Australia and loads relatively quickly there , but it is very slow in Uk and France.
    Eli kindly set up a trial at blurstorm but I am unhapy with the way it loads in australia which is its primary audience.
    Can anyone advise me how to get my speeds up with the site? ATM there is a 2.8 mb swf file that loads in about 5 sec in aus but about 20 in europe.
    Blurstorm is faster in europe(france)but unacceptably slow in Aus.

Is blurstorm considered fast servers on their reseller plans? Or do I need to upgrade my expenditure to get what I want?

All advice appreciated... Thanks
    Last edited by bosgouet; 05-04-2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Its hard to give everyone the speed they like, Especially if you are in Australia, best practise (but also the most expensive) is to have multiple servers over the world.

Next best would to host the sites somewhere in the middle, like in the US. But if your main visitors come from Australia i would advise to stay hosted in Australia.

You could try your luck with UK, Dutch or German locations, in general they seem to have better speeds as in France.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting that the geographic location would affect the performance, but not to the extent that it seems to be ATM.

Without getting into technical details I was wondering how the speed is lost?
    I expect that to "find" a site might take a bit longer- weaving through traffic etc... the longer the road, the longer it takes to find the destination.
    But I had thought that once it was found and the pathway mapped that the download speed could be much the same, much like an empty hose- once its filled the water comes out at the same speed.

I have a 2.8 mb swf file that is taking 20 secs to load- is this what I should expect?

u need a server with a high mbit connection.
    i think europe is the best choice for u

Quote Originally Posted by bosgouet View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was expecting that the geographic location would affect the performance, but not to the extent that it seems to be ATM.

Without getting into technical details I was wondering how the speed is lost?
    I expect that to "find" a site might take a bit longer- weaving through traffic etc... the longer the road, the longer it takes to find the destination.
    But I had thought that once it was found and the pathway mapped that the download speed could be much the same, much like an empty hose- once its filled the water comes out at the same speed.

I have a 2.8 mb swf file that is taking 20 secs to load- is this what I should expect?
    You will likely see -massive- differences in load time based on geographic location. Why would you think otherwise? The laws of physics still apply.

Kind Regards,

well i had HOPED that there would not be such a difference. obviously that is not correct.
    Could anybody tell me what sort of load times i should expect for a 2.8 mb swf file if I have a good host in the same country as the site viewer? I realise that it depends on the viewers connection as well but given that my target demographic will probably have decent adsl I am asuming that wont be the bottle neck.

In case you have hosting account in the same country with the site viewers, it will be the same when you in Australia and surf your site hosted in Australia. Of course, it can be different between ISPs, but it will be faster than hosting abroad.

If you still want to host in one server, to surf all visitors from Australia and EU, some hosts in central US might be good choices. Just for reference, we have customers in Australia and customers in Norway, France, hosted in our facility in Texas, and they have no complain.

Quote Originally Posted by bosgouet View Post
    well i had HOPED that there would not be such a difference. obviously that is not correct.
    Could anybody tell me what sort of load times i should expect for a 2.8 mb swf file if I have a good host in the same country as the site viewer? I realise that it depends on the viewers connection as well but given that my target demographic will probably have decent adsl I am asuming that wont be the bottle neck.
    That's not a practical question: there are just too many variables. It depends on so much more then just the visitor's connection.

Regards,

Well you can't say I didn't try
    XLR8
    www.blurstorm.com
    update: 12-5-2007
    www.ZowneD.com - The Ultimate Gaming Community

Cool

If you are on a good host that's not overcrowded and that has a strong network USA would probably work for you. I can only speak for one customer we have in New Zealand who gets fine results from Chicago (I would guess Australia would be similar).
    I think it's because of the network backbones more than anything when looking "worldwide". Local would usually be faster but you aren't really talking local when you're down under and trying to get to Europe.
    I'm no expert on the overseas connections but the better the connections across the oceans the better you will get from a centrally located host. So maybe the USA or UK would work well for you IF they have good network connections compared to a "local" host who didn't have as good a network connection to Europe or the UK.
    Just guessing but it has seemed to be the case for a customer we have in Albania who has about 50-50 us European traffic and the one customer in NZ whose customers have never suggested they might not be "locally" hosted.
    I'd be interested to see some other's views but i bet it has to do with how fast the big fiber pipes are under the oceans & then how they connect up to land networks when they get to a particular country.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well