Vps Mail server questions

If I were to buy a cheap entry level VPS with say webmin installed would I have to manually install the mail server software, DNS and all that myself? Iv played with Ubuntu server and webmin on a virtual pc and managed to get a website up and running but I never bothered to go as far as mail servers.

My site is a joomla based site with many components and addons installed. I also have 4 other domain names Id want to point at the VPS and have mail accounts running from them and probably a virtual host for each one inside the VPS.

I know the basics of Linux command line but what would I be required to do with an unmanaged VPS to get the above running?

Wow, thats a long answer. I would honestly recommend getting a managed VPS, and if this is not something you can do, then follow this: http://howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts

Thats a step by step setup for a VPS

Best of luck!

Hi,

Using Ubuntu for a server is really not a wise choice. Use plain Debian Stable instead (currently Etch), it's a way more stable.

But OF COURSE, I second the idea of installing an open source control panel like ours or ISPConfig. Ours must be already available by default in Ubuntu by the way (in a fairly recent version as the latest Ubuntu has just been released).

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Try to get a vps with webhosting control panel, e.g. LxAdmin.

Or if you want to set up a mailserver by yourself have a look at postfix and postfixadmin, which is a mysql & php-based administration for mailboxes.

Well Im no technophobe Iv set up and ran couple of linux servers but only in a simulation never for a live site. What I was trying to establish was if they install an operating system and offer webmin then do they install any of the other basic packages as well ? I guess they dont. I may get a dirt cheap VPS from cheapvps and just play with it! and learn

What is LXAdmin? Iv never heard of this one. Does it come with mail server software and stuff already installed?

hey GLPhost looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by andy91 View Post
    What is LXAdmin? Iv never heard of this one. Does it come with mail server software and stuff already installed?
    Have a look at the demo http://demo.lxadmin.com:7778/

You can set up mailboxes, emai-addresses, choose between spamassassin and bogofilter, choose between the two webmailer roundcube and squirrelmail.

there seems to be a mysql error with that link.

is there a minimum memory requirement for GPLhost?

Must be a problem with there demo

it looks really good mate. So they install this for you on your chosen distro and it comes with all the software required to run it?. Does it cost extra for this?

Depends on your vps-provider. If they use HyperVM from LxLabs, then there´s no extra cost for you. And you can install it easily via HyperVM install-image.

cheers Ill probably end up going for that

Is there a list anywhere with companys offering LXadmin hosting?

Theres numerous hosts that allow LXAdmin installation on their VPS's. Ensure that you speak to them before hand though, as some might charge you additional fees if you wish to setup after install. However, if the host uses HyperVM than they can provide the option for a client to install it whenever they wish. Take a look in the "VPS Hosting Offers" thread, linked off the WHT homepage - your bound to find some there.
    Last edited by PlugAndHost; 05-04-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake :)

Is there a list anywhere with companys offering LXadmin hosting?
    Lots of companies out there, just look at their site to see their lxadmin plans. You can get HIB (host in a box) plans that come with lxadmin and everything pre-installed and ready to go. DNS, Apache, Email, Anti-spam etc.

Its an excellent package for hosts.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

there seems to be a mysql error with that link.

is there a minimum memory requirement for GPLhost?
    Hi,

The control panel itself has no memory requirement as there is no daemon on our control panel. This might at first be thought as something bad, in fact I believe that everybody is following the same control panel design stupidly without thinking. Our panel is made only with sh and php scripts, no hugly-buggy-crashy daemon needed. So the memory requirement is only what the control panel pulls out of Debian itself by it's dependencies:

- Apache
    - MySQL
    - bind
    - pure-ftpd
    - Postfix
    - Spamassassin
    - Amavis
    - DKIMproxy
    - Clamav
    - Courier
    - courier-auth-daemon
    - saslauthd

If you want, you can decide to run less dependencies. After all, you can run without an email system at all. But on normal operations, if you run the above, 192 MB of memory is required.

For the demo, to reply to another post, we decided not to maintain it for the moment, as it's quite easy for everyone to test our control panel (as it's directly included in Debian SID (that makes it the first open source control panel to be included in a popular distribution)).

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel