Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Payback for a content leech

    I found out that someone is linking to some of my banners on one of my affiliate sites, I assume to preserve their own bandwidth usage. I was wondering if there is a way to embed an iframe containing my affiliate link within this image so that I get hits whenever someone loads his page.

    If not, I'll probably just rename the files on my site and throw up some doggy pron pics on the ones he is linking.

    edit: I'm not sure if iframe is the correct idea here. Basically I'm just wanting the url to load along with the .gif image.
    Last edited by romebaby; 05-03-2008 at 05:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Send the site owner an invoice for using your images, along with transfer records showing his usage
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woking, England
    Posts
    1,396
    I would post the link here but it's not really appropriate...but in last friday's b3ta.com newsletter there was a guy who had an image being hotlinked by an Italian politician...so he changed it for something not very appropriate and emailed a load of italian newspapers

    It is possible to stop image leeching or whatever in cPanel I think...
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,957
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Send the site owner an invoice for using your images, along with transfer records showing his usage
    We did something like this when we found someone using our entire design, text and all (before DMCA was in place). Sent him a bill for the full design he'd stolen, and he paid it. We removed ours, and redid it.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    We did something like this when we found someone using our entire design, text and all (before DMCA was in place). Sent him a bill for the full design he'd stolen, and he paid it. We removed ours, and redid it.

    Wow, thats pretty awesome, You wouldn't think a theif would be so willing to cough up the money.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by thomase View Post
    I would post the link here but it's not really appropriate...but in last friday's b3ta.com newsletter there was a guy who had an image being hotlinked by an Italian politician...so he changed it for something not very appropriate and emailed a load of italian newspapers

    It is possible to stop image leeching or whatever in cPanel I think...
    Indeed, you just need to activate the Hotlink Protection in CPanel. Once you do that, you also get options to specify Urls which you want to allow access.

  7. #7
    You could add some code to your htaccess to stop it as well. I found a nice page here on some code that you can add.
    How To Make A Website - Website Tutorials
    Cheap Domains - Domain Name Registration

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    312
    I think changing the image would be just peachy. Then be sure to take a screenshot of the site after the change and slap it on Stumbleupon.

    That would be great.

    -fin
    Thales

  9. #9
    The invoice idea sounds interesting - not sure if you'll have as much luck but it'll let the other party know you're aware and maybe shake them up a bit.
    Selling: W3BSPACE.com domain - please get in touch (see profile) to make offers!

  10. #10
    Although I found that it's possible to insert code into a gif, I couldn't find how to do it so I went with the substitute image. They caught it after about 12 hours, hopefully the search engines cached it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    312
    Did you snag a screenshot? What was it an image of?

    -fin
    Thales

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    183
    What was the image you put up in place of the old image?

    Mike

  13. #13
    I probably shouldn't post the pic so here's a link to it. A little Planned Parenthood spoof ad. View at your own discretion. No nudity but very suggestive.

    [URL removed]
    Last edited by bear; 05-18-2008 at 07:40 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    312
    LAWL! That... is... great...

    If the content leech didn't learn their lesson, then they have to have a few screws loose.

    I vote a Digg or Stumble for this thread.

    -fin
    Thales

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,957
    Quote Originally Posted by romebaby View Post
    I probably shouldn't post the pic so here's a link to it. A little Planned Parenthood spoof ad. View at your own discretion. No nudity but very suggestive.
    No, you shouldn't post that pic, or a link to it.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •