Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41
  1. #1

    Extremely Frustrated - 63 hours and still going downtime with Liquidweb

    Hello, I would first like to clarify this is not a post to bash liquidweb.

    I have been a loyal customer of LW for the past 2 years (almost)

    My websites have been down since Thursday 3:00 a.m due to "DDos Attack"

    on Friday night, the network engineer told me the "DDos Attack" has stopped and problem should have been resolved. However, no websites were accessible.

    On Saturday, I ensure you I have made many phone calls to Liquidweb dedicated server support and try to resolve this issue. (Never once did I raise my voice and they were being very polite.)

    I believe the server admins that were helping was at the end of their shifts and every time I try to make a phone call to the person that was assisting me to get an update, liquidweb would tell me that he has gone home. Every time the server admin finishes his shift, the support ticket is not assigned to anyone else that is working until I make a phone call to them stating my problem.

    I own quite a few large sites that generate over 3 millions hits per day and every hour of downtime means I will be losing valuable clients and revenue. That is why I am extremely frustrated with the 63 hours downtime as it seems like the results of working hard for the past 2 years is slipping away from me as the clock keeps ticking.

    I am sorry, I am just trying to share this with fellow webmasters as I really need a place to express my feeling. (None of my friends will understand online business.)

    Again, I am not bashing liquidweb...I must have really bad luck myself.

    Thx for reading.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ringgold, GA
    Posts
    52
    Have you tried to escalate the issue to a manager or higher level system administrator?

    Most data centers normally have such on hand or at the very least, on call/someone available to handle such issues.

    While it is possible, depending on the DDoS attack level, for it to saturate the lines, LW should be able to mitigate the traffic being sent and either null route the traffic or disperse it elsewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    I contacted Travis thru email on Thursday night and he replied saying that a network engineer is taking care of me.

    However, 30+ hours have passed after that reply and my websites are still down.
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    264
    This is very strange because my server on Tuesday had a DDOS on Tuesday and was resolved in 4 hours and offered me a half months of compensation.

    Good luck.
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ringgold, GA
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I contacted Travis thru email on Thursday night and he replied saying that a network engineer is taking care of me.

    However, 30+ hours have passed after that reply and my websites are still down.

    I would continue to call over submitting a support ticket based on the current downtime resulting from the DDoS. Even if it only takes them 5-10 minutes to answer a support ticket, that's 5-10 minutes of downtime more.

    Call and ask to speak with a supervisor, manager or someone above the network eng. and let them know what's happening, how long it's been and that you need results because you're losing money.

    Surely some of the upper management will know how to handle the situation and will be able to further assist you.
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I own quite a few large sites that generate over 3 millions hits per day and every hour of downtime means I will be losing valuable clients and revenue. That is why I am extremely frustrated with the 63 hours downtime as it seems like the results of working hard for the past 2 years is slipping away from me as the clock keeps ticking.
    Out of curiosity - why have you waited 63 hours? If I had an outage that lasted more than 12 hours without a reasonable explanation, I'd already have started the process of migrating to a new host.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Hello, I was hoping to get the issue fixed asap as I would really like to stay at liquidweb.

    Seems like they have resolved my issues now.

    My websites are working again and I am definitely back to my drawing board to decide if I will stay at LW or move on.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Hello, I was hoping to get the issue fixed asap as I would really like to stay at liquidweb.
    Now that's loyalty. They must have done you good in the past!

    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Seems like they have resolved my issues now.

    My websites are working again and I am definitely back to my drawing board to decide if I will stay at LW or move on.
    No matter what you decide, as always, keep a backup offsite, and if you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to back your stuff up to another VPS/Dedicated Server somewhere, for a quick recovery in case of any issues!
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    whitevitz,

    I have often seen LiquidWeb claim that their clients are under ddos attacks. Is there really any reason for ddos you or your sites?
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    24

    VPS up, but shared hosting down. AT&T to blame?

    Talked to Liquid Web this morning. After 30+ minutes on the phone with a patient tech here is what I can gather:

    - Liquid Web is having problems with part of their network; AT&T in particular. It appears that these issues are due to a (ongoing?) DDOS attack.

    - This problem is affecting quite a few Liquid Web customers, but not all of them. Maybe not even most, I'm not sure. The tech I spoke to did mention that they were fielding a lot of irate calls today.

    Maybe someone from Liquid Web could chime in here with an update or expanded explanation of the issue?
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    I cannot believe it. After websites operated normally for 8 hours, they have went down again.

    Nightmare
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    If you are doing 3 million hits a day and your site is commercially oriented, perhaps it is time to start thinking about having a hot standby facility in another location.

    Since you are not the target of the ddos, then moving away from the neighbourhood during such events would avoid the problem.

    Alternatively, since you are paying for the standby server anyways, you could just load balance them. When one network is unavailable, then the traffic is pointed only to the remaining available server(s).
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    How do I load balance servers from different location?

    Thx
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    How do I load balance servers from different location?

    Thx
    Our staff can help you with DNS load balancing between other data centers. Please note that this is not affecting any other customers on the Liquidweb network this event is isolated to your server.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    How do I load balance servers from different location?

    Thx
    whitevitz,

    Can you answer my question above, I'm really interested to know if there is any real reason you'd be the target of a ddos attack as I have seen LW claim this on a few clients now.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Hi RossH,

    I don't really see any reason for me to be target for Ddos attack.

    I own an entertainment site and a banner exchange network.

    I am well respected and friendly within my industry.

    Thx
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17

    service restored?

    Are you fully operational again?


    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Hi RossH,

    I don't really see any reason for me to be target for Ddos attack.

    I own an entertainment site and a banner exchange network.

    I am well respected and friendly within my industry.

    Thx
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    I expereienced another 2 hours of downtime this morning.

    But the websites seem to be working fine now.

    thx
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I expereienced another 2 hours of downtime this morning.

    But the websites seem to be working fine now.

    thx
    Did you open a ticket? If so, please send it to me and I can take a look at it on your behalf.

    Thank you
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    I have pmed you
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I have pmed you
    The ticket has been open since May 1st and Steven replied to you most recently without a response from you, I'll have a supervisor send you another email too.

    In the future it will be faster for you to respond to your open tickets if you need further assistance as I am only able to monitor Webhostingtalk off and on during the day.

    Thank you,
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    The ticket has been open since May 1st and Steven replied to you most recently without a response from you, I'll have a supervisor send you another email too.

    In the future it will be faster for you to respond to your open tickets if you need further assistance as I am only able to monitor Webhostingtalk off and on during the day.

    Thank you,
    Travis,

    So is his server really under a DoS attack or is that just your typical tech response when there are outages?
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    Travis,

    So is his server really under a DoS attack or is that just your typical tech response when there are outages?

    RossH,
    Yes.

    We do NOT have any "typical tech responses for outages"

    That would be completely unacceptable.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    The ticket has been open since May 1st and Steven replied to you most recently without a response from you, I'll have a supervisor send you another email too.

    In the future it will be faster for you to respond to your open tickets if you need further assistance as I am only able to monitor Webhostingtalk off and on during the day.

    Thank you,
    I have replied to every questions asked in all the support ticket.



    His last email was Hello again Jack,

    I don't think that the 2 hour down time is network related. It is most likely
    more related to server load and configuration. To investigate that further we
    need to be able to catch it when its down.



    So he basically said he can't do anything until the server goes down again.

    All I can say is thank you and that will take up some of his time by reading my email saying thank you instead of helping another person.
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    What I mean is, if you're not happy w/ the response or you have more questions, ask them in the ticket. Responding to the ticket with additional questions will be the fastest way for you to get support, not posting on WHT.

    Just a suggestion. No need to respond to this.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I have replied to every questions asked in all the support ticket.



    His last email was Hello again Jack,

    I don't think that the 2 hour down time is network related. It is most likely
    more related to server load and configuration. To investigate that further we
    need to be able to catch it when its down.



    So he basically said he can't do anything until the server goes down again.

    All I can say is thank you and that will take up some of his time by reading my email saying thank you instead of helping another person.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    RossH,
    Yes.

    We do NOT have any "typical tech responses for outages"

    That would be completely unacceptable.
    Travis,

    Well I'm sure I can go back to other LiquidWeb threads and find others where people were told their server is under attacked. It seems whitevitz here doesn't believe there would be any reason for his server to be attacked yet a tech told him it was DoS. So can you tell us if it is truly DoS or not?
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    Travis,

    Well I'm sure I can go back to other LiquidWeb threads and find others where people were told their server is under attacked. It seems whitevitz here doesn't believe there would be any reason for his server to be attacked yet a tech told him it was DoS. So can you tell us if it is truly DoS or not?
    RossH,
    I guess I didn't understand your first posts, I didn't think I had to say this, we do not tell our customers information that we do not believe to be true. We would never tell someone they are under a DDOS and work w/ them to repair it if we didn't believe that information to be accurate.

    All I can go by is what the tech has reported in the ticket conversations to the customer. They are saying that it appears to be a DDOS and are continuing to investigate it with the customer, perhaps after further investigation the find another root cause, I can't possibly comment on that since it's in the future. This customers server is getting flooded w/ connections which appear to be maxing out his firewall at some random times periodically. The networking team and supervisory team have been working on this customers issue since May 1st when it began appearing intermittently.

    The customers server has not been continuously affected. It has been online and accessible the majority of the time. We have mitigated issues on several occasions and are continuing to monitor it. - That is why I'm confused w/ the continuing thread.

    If you have further questions you can email me directly and I'd be happy to give you a call. Good talking to you again.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    What I mean is, if you're not happy w/ the response or you have more questions, ask them in the ticket. Responding to the ticket with additional questions will be the fastest way for you to get support, not posting on WHT.

    Just a suggestion. No need to respond to this.
    Hi Travis,

    I posted on WHT to share my frustration of my servers being down for 7x hours with members here. I didn't expect nor did I ask for a response from liquidweb.

    I can assure you, I have responded to the support ticket or called dedicated support directly when I was trying to get the issue resolved as fast as possible during the downtime.

    No bashing here as I know liquidweb is trying to resolve this problem as fast as possible. I created this thread as an intention to share my frustration of my server (my business) being down for so many days. Not frustration of the support I received from liquidweb. You guys have been a great job keeping me updated with the status.
    Last edited by whitevitz; 05-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Hi Travis,

    Not frustration of the support I received from liquidweb. You guys have been a great job keeping me updated with the status.

    I'm very glad to hear that. Thank you
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Where are you?


    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    I expereienced another 2 hours of downtime this morning.

    But the websites seem to be working fine now.

    thx
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Hi Guys,

    I have just canceled my servers from liquidweb.com

    Basically, my servers were only working from May 6 - May 9 this month on liquidweb. So I had to moved to another web provider. I asked for refund for the remainder of this month along with the SLA to compensate with the downtime I had experienced.

    They stated that it is against their TOS to refund the rest of the month for me and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. Are you kidding me? Websites were down from May 1 - May 5. No advertising revenue and 20% of my clients left me due to the downtime. Now no refund on roughly 1000 dollars.

    I was still planning to get a server from LW as redundancy, but seems like I have to scratch this plan now. Completely unsatisfied experience at Liquidweb for May 2008.
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have just canceled my servers from liquidweb.com

    Basically, my servers were only working from May 6 - May 9 this month on liquidweb. So I had to moved to another web provider. I asked for refund for the remainder of this month along with the SLA to compensate with the downtime I had experienced.

    They stated that it is against their TOS to refund the rest of the month for me and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. Are you kidding me? Websites were down from May 1 - May 5. No advertising revenue and 20% of my clients left me due to the downtime. Now no refund on roughly 1000 dollars.

    I was still planning to get a server from LW as redundancy, but seems like I have to scratch this plan now. Completely unsatisfied experience at Liquidweb for May 2008.
    If you do move to another host, and you are getting attacked you are probably going to have the same problems as you did with LiquidWeb. Do you know what kind of attack you were getting? Was it an HTTP flood? Was it maxing out the port? These are some of the questions you should find out before you buy another server with another provider and have the same problems as if you are getting hit hard you might find you need to host with someone like Staminus or AwkNet.

    I'd encourage you to seek more information from LiquidWeb about these attacks and let us all know so maybe we can suggest providers that might be able to help you.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Oh well, hopefully you'll be happier with your new server provider, sad to hear it went so bad with LiquidWeb.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevitz View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have just canceled my servers from liquidweb.com

    Basically, my servers were only working from May 6 - May 9 this month on liquidweb. So I had to moved to another web provider. I asked for refund for the remainder of this month along with the SLA to compensate with the downtime I had experienced.

    They stated that it is against their TOS to refund the rest of the month for me and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. Are you kidding me? Websites were down from May 1 - May 5. No advertising revenue and 20% of my clients left me due to the downtime. Now no refund on roughly 1000 dollars.

    I was still planning to get a server from LW as redundancy, but seems like I have to scratch this plan now. Completely unsatisfied experience at Liquidweb for May 2008.

    no suprise there. they are all promises.

    had a similar experience with good sales and rubbish after sales.
    Damien
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,183
    Originally Posted by whitevitz
    Hi Guys,

    I have just canceled my servers from liquidweb.com

    Basically, my servers were only working from May 6 - May 9 this month on liquidweb. So I had to moved to another web provider. I asked for refund for the remainder of this month along with the SLA to compensate with the downtime I had experienced.

    They stated that it is against their TOS to refund the rest of the month for me and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. Are you kidding me? Websites were down from May 1 - May 5. No advertising revenue and 20% of my clients left me due to the downtime. Now no refund on roughly 1000 dollars.

    I was still planning to get a server from LW as redundancy, but seems like I have to scratch this plan now. Completely unsatisfied experience at Liquidweb for May 2008.

    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    no suprise there. they are all promises.

    had a similar experience with good sales and rubbish after sales.
    Sounds like they really don't care about there clients, I suggest go with another host (Softlayer is great) I have been there and no long downtimes I had only 1 our 2 downtime in almost 2 years they were less than 40 min (lucky it was at night/morning) but still got the refund.
      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by BudWay View Post
    Sounds like they really don't care about there clients, I suggest go with another host (Softlayer is great) I have been there and no long downtimes I had only 1 our 2 downtime in almost 2 years they were less than 40 min (lucky it was at night/morning) but still got the refund.
    It's really starting to look like that might actually be the case and I would not be suprised if they closed down in the next year. It seems like there has been some pretty high profile incidents brought up here. I hope they can turn things around.
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyHost View Post
    I would not be suprised if they closed down in the next year.
    The speculation is getting a little out of hand, even for WHT.

    I'm sorry that problems occurred with this customer. We care very deeply about our customers, I believe a more thorough search of WHT will demonstrate that.

    Be sure to contact me next year when we'll be in our 12th year.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    741

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyHost View Post
    It's really starting to look like that might actually be the case and I would not be suprised if they closed down in the next year.
    I highly doubt that....
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    I'm sorry that problems occurred with this customer. We care very deeply about our customers, I believe a more thorough search of WHT will demonstrate that.
    I am disappointed in your somewhat ignorant response. If you really cared about your customers the way you claim to, you would have refunded the client for the rest of the month or at least for the downtime, considering he/she has been nothing but understanding with the issues it seems.
      0 Not allowed!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Salter View Post
    I am disappointed in your somewhat ignorant response.
    Interesting choice of words. I'm sorry I disappointed you.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand
      0 Not allowed!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyHost View Post
    It's really starting to look like that might actually be the case and I would not be suprised if they closed down in the next year. It seems like there has been some pretty high profile incidents brought up here. I hope they can turn things around.
    Turn things around? Liquidweb is going quite strong and with a pretty good reputation. They won't be closing within the next year.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •