Need a new host that will transfer existing phpBB

Current BB: readybb.com/cindysommer
    Current host: readyBB
    My technical skills: only enough to be dangerous

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

My current host is not satisfactory. Support is practically non-existant. I need to know if there is such a thing as a host that will provide transfer services as I do not have the technical ability to do it myself.

I would think the ideal situation would be to copy everything to the new host first, but as much as I've read and read about this for months, I still do not trust myself to do it.

If anyone can help, I would deeply appreciate it. I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks so much for your time.

Do you use any control panels for your current website, or have ssh access? These thing may aid in the transfer process. There are many hosts out there that will help to move your site, check out their FAQ's or even email them and see what they say if you have one in mind.
    Quality Hosting - http://www.robohostingsolutions.com
    My Blog - http://solidservers.ca
    Freelance Server Administration (decent rates!) - Chris(at)SolidServers.ca

Seems like they use a script to create your forums, which will not work with transfer to a full fleshed host, but backup of data and recreating of phpbb fresh and restore should work.

Do you have ftp access to your account and phpmyadmin or sql data backup access ? Not sure if anything has changed since my time when i used to mod phpbb and stuff, but there is a backup feature in the admin panel also, so if you find a host, create new phpbb forum and try using that backup data you make off your current forum and using it on the new one.

AS per hosts who can do that, well i dunno who is well versed with phpbb or even worked with phpbb before.

Cheers

That should not really be a big problem, I am sure most hosts can do this for you.
    If necessary, as mentioned already, a fresh install can be made and your data injected into it.

I'm not sure but it looks like you are using a rather old version of phpBB. If so then it would be wise to update it as soon as possible, as the older versions had a considerable amount of security issues.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

I sure thank you all for trying to help me. It must be like trying to help a six-year-old..

There is a control panel that I generally access from within the BB itself. I have accessed it from the readyBB control panel page, but it looks the same as the one i usually use. The control panel site says "You can run SQL query in this page." - but I don't know anything about SQL.

Sorry. I don't know what "ssh access" is.

I don't know if this helps or not, but there is a file in the control panel files folder called
    database_backup_21736FA759E7FCA34EEB18724C44AAF4.tar.gz

The only thing I can do with that file is save it to my hard drive... can't open, view, whatever...

I don't even trust myself to upgrade to a newer version of phpBB.

I would be willing to give a trusted host access to all admin control panels, but the problem is I don't know who to trust.

Well, even if you don't have access to create your own backups (which I doubt), I am sure your current host can provide you with a backup of your forum, that should not be too much of an issue.

I would imagine that most hosts will happily help you upgrade your phpBB version if you ask them to.

The file you mentioned appears to be a database backup, but it depends on how frequent those backups are made. I assume the host creates them for you automatically?

The best thing would be to make a fresh backup just before you move, to ensure you don't lose any posts.
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers

-Web based file manager. You don't need any ftp programs.
    Based on the host's website, I don't think you have FTP access.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

You'd think my current host would help with backup, but the last time I received a response from him was 05/24/2007.

I don't know if there is automatic backup or not. That file is dated 12/31/1969.

Within your phpBB admin panel, do you have access to the backup feature?
    If so then you can easily create your own backup to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by kanzz View Post
    I sure thank you all for trying to help me. It must be like trying to help a six-year-old..
    Lolz thats always fun, well atleast this way hosts get to look like the smartest person on the planet

Sadly, no one can like recommend themselves here, but why not shoot various hosts a pm/email or something and see if they did be willing to help out.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabWeb View Post
    Within your phpBB admin panel, do you have access to the backup feature?
    If so then you can easily create your own backup to be used.

In the CP, there are only two things I can click:
    - Restore your Board from backup at April 15 , 2007
    - Restore your Board from backup at April 17 , 2007

We would lose many valuable posts if I did that.

Also, neither of those seem like the kind of backup I need.

?

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Lolz thats always fun, well atleast this way hosts get to look like the smartest person on the planet

Sadly, no one can like recommend themselves here, but why not shoot various hosts a pm/email or something and see if they did be willing to help out.

Cheers
    Good idea. I'd also welcome any PM's or emails from hosts.

I was able to open the backup file by extracting and then opening the result in WordPad.
    ( database_backup_21736FA759E7FCA34EEB18724C44AAF4.tar.gz )

Although the CP said the date on the file was 12/31/69, it appears the forum was actually last updated 04/18/08, which is the date on the extracted file.

The readyBB site says it automatically backs up daily. grr

I suppose I could get my new host all lined up, close the board every night and check the next morning to see if there is a new backup, and then make the switch. That sounds pretty crazy, doesn't it?

In the CP, there are only two things I can click:
    - Restore your Board from backup at April 15 , 2007
    - Restore your Board from backup at April 17 , 2007

We would lose many valuable posts if I did that.

Also, neither of those seem like the kind of backup I need.

?
    From their FAQ (http://readybb.com/faqs.php) I can see that they provide daily backups, but on another page (http://readybb.com/cp/index.php) it says weekly backups. From what you told us, it doesn't seem like that feature is working very well, since the backups are not as recent as they promise.

With CP, did you mean the CP of your host? What I meant with admin panel was the administration control panel of your phpBB forum, mostly found at the bottom of the forum page. If you are able to access and create backups from there, then that would be a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabWeb View Post
    From their FAQ (http://readybb.com/faqs.php) I can see that they provide daily backups, but on another page (http://readybb.com/cp/index.php) it says weekly backups. From what you told us, it doesn't seem like that feature is working very well, since the backups are not as recent as they promise.

With CP, did you mean the CP of your host? What I meant with admin panel was the administration control panel of your phpBB forum, mostly found at the bottom of the forum page. If you are able to access and create backups from there, then that would be a great help.
    I noticed that, too - one says daily, one says weekly, and in fact it looks like the last backup was 04/18.

oh, when I said CP, I did mean the admin control panel within the BB forum. I can access, but I have no idea how to create a backup from there. sry

They might have disabled that backup feature within phpBB's admin panel.
    But still, they should provide you with a fresh backup when you ask for it. It's worth a try, or you can ask your new host to contact them for you, perhaps they might do it faster that way.

You're right, of course. He should provide me with a backup, and it can't hurt to try. I emailed him.

You're right, of course. He should provide me with a backup, and it can't hurt to try. I emailed him.
    Looking at your forum database backup might not help much as seems like it has got some custom mods on it ? Or addons, so even before db can be used it probably will need remodding.

Both hostican and hostgator (my favorite host), transfer websites. I believe they do forums too.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Looking at your forum database backup might not help much as seems like it has got some custom mods on it ? Or addons, so even before db can be used it probably will need remodding.
    That should not be a problem. If a clean install of phpBB is done and the current database used, then it will simply not show the addons which were made to it. I mean, it will not stop the board from working, but indeed the addons will need to be added again before they will get the same full functionality.
    If upgrading to phpBB3 then the upgrade process will automatically use only the basic and original database tables and leave out the ones which were added, so no problem there either. Plus the fact that phpBB3 has a lot more built-in features and is a lot more secure than phpBB2.

In any case, kanzz keep us updated, I hope you will receive a reply from your host soon so that you can start planning your move.