Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Hosting company (from shared to dedicated)

    I知 not sure this I the right place to post this, but since I値l need also a dedicated server I guess it is (I知 sorry if it痴 not).

    Hi to you all.
    I知 developing my own site. This will be my very first time building and managing a site, so I知 for sure a noob on this type of stuff (but I have a good general knowledge on computers (I build my own computers and solve every problem I encounter)).
    The site will be managed by joomla 1.5 plus a phpbb3 forum (maybe vbulleting in the future). Obviously when my site is completed and published on the net I値l have zero members, but I hope to see this number increase (lolfrom 0 members it isn稚 a hard thing to accomplishI guess ).
    Having a really low number of members and visitors I think that I値l start from a shared hosting plan (or VPS) and then go up to a dedicated server (when I値l need itI hope soon ).probably a managed dedicated server since I don稚 know much of the technicalities needed to manage a dedicated server.

    This being said, I would prefer to go for a good hosting company (cheapbut reliable) that has both shared and dedicated hosting plans so when I値l have to upgrade (from shared/VPS to dedicated) everything will be smoothly managed by them.

    The site/forum aims to have a large community, a good nー of hosted files (images and mp3痴 (recorded voice) ---> everything legal!)

    What hosting company would you suggest?
    Is it possible to have the site on one server and the forum on another? (considering that the forum will be integrated in the joomls CMS with a bridge).

    Thank you very much for your time.

    Regards,
    vampire666

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas,TX
    Posts
    160
    http://www.ubiquityhosting.com/ has all the services you're looking for.
    It would be possible to have the site on one, and the forum on another. But if you get a powerful enough machine, it should be able to handle it unless it were so big that you'd want to cluster servers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    444
    Hi,

    Good plan, check out shared first, and then when needed go get Managed VPS and then Managed Dedicated. Good luck in your plans. Check out the Offers section and I think thread is Web Hosting Forum.

    Thanks,
    Bobby

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Your choice of starting with a shared hosting and upgrade later is a good choice.
    May I know your requirements and budgets?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    829
    If you go with a good shard host chances are you'll be good for at least a couple years. Forums are VERY hard to grow. I've had my forum site for quite a few years and I get 300kish page views per month. You'll want to go dedicated once you hit maybe 1mil page views per month, depending on the shard plan. If you don't know much about servers I suggest you setup your site locally on your home network in a dedicated server environment just so you get the feel for it (makes updating easier too as you do it locally then upload once it works).

  6. #6
    Thanks for the help guys. It痴 really appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Your choice of starting with a shared hosting and upgrade later is a good choice.
    May I know your requirements and budgets?
    Hard to tell. As I previously said I値l have a completely new site based on joomla 1.5 + phpbb3 forum, so it will be completely unknown once it gets published. I really don稚 know what to expect as far as public response (and therefore traffic), but the subjects I will be covering on the site are of pretty much of everyone痴 interest (technology, internet, software, hardware and so on).
    So I do expect (cross fingers ) to build a healthy and prosperous community.

    The budget is flexible but not to much.
    I won稚 liethe cheaper the better, but if cheaper means having problems I would prefer to spend a little bit more and have the security that everything will be fine.
    Being a total new project there痴 the nasty possibility that everything could fail (being not well accepted by the net surfers, or simply not well advertised), so it doesn稚 make much sense to spend 150$ and more a month for a dedicated server (money thrown out of the window).

    It痴 not a commercial site so I won稚 get money out of it, but I hope all the hosting expenses to be covered by advertisements (but obviously I will need traffic to gain that).

    So being a shared server I can go up to 200$ a year (even more, but as far as I saw on the net I should be ok with that amount of money for a shared server), but this is relative as if the site has success I might have the possibility/need of higher budgets.

    So my requirements are: good customer service (if I have a problem I need it to be solved ), good service (truly offering what is advertised)as far as specs goes, having a new site I don稚 have big needs, but all this could change fast, who knows.

    P.S. I saw a dedicated server for 29$ a month, which is really cheap. Obviously the specs are really low but still something to consider in some middle steps of the site痴 growth:
    (server4you.com)

    AMD Duron 1300
    512 MB DDR-RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    500 GB Bandwidth Included
    99.99% Network Uptime
    FREE Plesk 8.2 (10 Domains)

    I was wondering if I will see a big difference on this slow machine from a shared hosting plan.

    Then for 49$ there痴 a more respectable (but still nothing fancy):
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1024 MB DDR-RAM
    120 GB Hard Drive
    500 GB Bandwidth Included
    99.99% Network Uptime
    FREE Plesk 8.2 (10 Domains)

    But anyway this is just curiosity as I will start from a shared server.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vampire666 View Post
    P.S. I saw a dedicated server for 29$ a month, which is really cheap. Obviously the specs are really low but still something to consider in some middle steps of the site痴 growth:
    (server4you.com)

    AMD Duron 1300
    512 MB DDR-RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    500 GB Bandwidth Included
    99.99% Network Uptime
    FREE Plesk 8.2 (10 Domains)

    I was wondering if I will see a big difference on this slow machine from a shared hosting plan.

    Then for 49$ there痴 a more respectable (but still nothing fancy):
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1024 MB DDR-RAM
    120 GB Hard Drive
    500 GB Bandwidth Included
    99.99% Network Uptime
    FREE Plesk 8.2 (10 Domains)

    But anyway this is just curiosity as I will start from a shared server.
    Its still better to choose shared hosting with a well reputed host. With these dedicated servers you should remember that these are un-managed and need to be secured and regularly updated. As you are not well experienced with dedi's you would probably want third party management company which will atleast cost you 30$+ for a month. So the basic cost for the server would be like 80$+/month which in my opinion is totally un-reasonable if you have single site which no one knows, until it reaches its peak you should prefer looking at Shared or if not than managed VPS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    If going for a dedicated server find a managed one it will pay for itself after the first problem. I would suggest a VPS this is the perfect way and cheaper way to go. VPS you will be able to upgrade some bandwidth and space and again still cheaper than a dedicated server. There are plenty out there. You could also do a reseller plan of hosting to give you the ability to host more than one site and make some money on the side.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    Its still better to choose shared hosting with a well reputed host. With these dedicated servers you should remember that these are un-managed and need to be secured and regularly updated. As you are not well experienced with dedi's you would probably want third party management company which will atleast cost you 30$+ for a month. So the basic cost for the server would be like 80$+/month which in my opinion is totally un-reasonable if you have single site which no one knows, until it reaches its peak you should prefer looking at Shared or if not than managed VPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by worlddomains View Post
    If going for a dedicated server find a managed one it will pay for itself after the first problem. I would suggest a VPS this is the perfect way and cheaper way to go. VPS you will be able to upgrade some bandwidth and space and again still cheaper than a dedicated server. There are plenty out there. You could also do a reseller plan of hosting to give you the ability to host more than one site and make some money on the side.
    Cool. So now I just have to look at a decent share hosting company (as if this task is easy ), but as said before I would like that the hosting company would have also VPS and dedicated servers offers, so that if my site grows I can quickly change my hosting plan with the same company.
    Do you think that this is the right thing to do or can this aspect be ignored?
    Would you rather concentrate finding the “best” shared hosting company, or a hosting company that has the shared and also VPS (managed)/dedicated (managed) server plans for the reasons before mentioned?
    Generally how much time will the downtime of a site be, during a domain transfer between a company to another?

    You guys are really giving me a hand! Thanks!

  10. #10
    Ok, I made some researches on the net for shared offersand all this searching is making me lose hair.
    A thing that I really don稚 understand (or better, I understand it as a fraud) is what the majority of hosting companies advertise for their shared plans.
    First I was: 努ow, look at that! That痴 awesome賠but after a few minutes I was like: ..huh?!...Wait a sec!

    I see ad example (bluehost):

    Disk Storage: 1,500 GB (that痴 1,5TB right?)
    Gigs of Site Transfer: 15,000 GB/mo (that痴 15TB per month right?)

    How on earth can this possible ?
    Let痴 do some quick math (not precisebut just right to have a quick analysis):
    15TB = 15.000.000.000 kb, let痴 divide this for 24 (hours a day), then for 60 (minutes) and then 60 (seconds)the result is 173611 kb/sso 173,611 mb per second. --> (multiplied for 8) 1389 Mbps? 1,389 Gbps?

    For $6.95 a month? Who do they want to fool? Ok, the 鉄ite Transfer might be considered for both up/download.but still??!!!
    And then I see the bandwidth offers of dedicated servers (obviously a lot lot more expensive).generally between 500 and 3000Gb of monthly transferthis gives me another proof that the shared offers are all scum (the majority at least). How come I spend a lot less then the dedicated servers offers but still have a lot more of traffic bandwidth with the shared plan?!!

    So, if everything I said is truehow can I trust a company that is lying in my face since the beginning?
    If the bandwidth traffic they advertise is fictitious (which I believe), what is the reality? It can be anything between 0 and 15,000 GB/mo. Isn稚 there some sort of minimum guaranteed bandwidth amount I can rely on? (but I guess that I can稚 expect this from a shared offer).

    P.S. And the 1,5TB of space? If I start to upload on my server complete distros od linux (example just to say that I upload legal things)why do I have the feeling that my account will be disabled for some unknown reason way before I reach the 1.5TB of disk space advertised?
    This is madness alone.then considering that on the same server there should be hundreds of other site痴c知on!

    I believe that shared hosting offers are made this way because:
    1- who goes for shared hosting doesn稚 have a complete knowledge of these things and therefore are attracted by big numbers and can be fooled easily (cause the will gladly sign for apparently good offers).
    2- generally who goes for shared hosting doesn稚 have big requirements, so they will never find out that the number advertised are fictitious.

    Who goes for VPS or dedicated servers have all the knowledge to run them and therefore also knows what can or cannot be given for a certain amount of money.

    Please share some light...what is the truth?

  11. #11
    Reading a bunch of threads here at WHT it looks my considerations where not wrong.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,656
    What you've discovered is a common practice in this industry known as overselling.

    Your math is a bit off though. 15TB is only about 46Mbps constantly sustained, so it's not theoretically impossible. The host probably can't even buy 1Mbps for $6.95, let alone 46.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    What you've discovered is a common practice in this industry known as overselling.

    Your math is a bit off though. 15TB is only about 46Mbps constantly sustained, so it's not theoretically impossible. The host probably can't even buy 1Mbps for $6.95, let alone 46.
    Yep, you are right.
    Stupid me...I forgot to divide that amount for 30 (days a month)...so my result was all for 1 day.

    My result was 173611 kb/s...that divided for 30 (days) gives 5787 kb/s ---> (moltiplied for 8) 46296 Kbps ---> 46 Mbps. (circa)

    Thanks man.
    Last edited by vampire666; 05-06-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •