Someone please help/offer advice (Hostgator Problem).

I signed up with hostgator yesterday, after I filled out my info and paid with my card I was able to set my website up.

This morning while I was gone I received an email from the stating my account was locked/suspended and I needed to contact them to verify my account.

The reason behind this was because my ip address appeared about a thousand miles away from where my billing address was. This is due to me being on satellite internet and that all traffic is routed through the Germantown Maryland NOC.

So I called their number and verified my account with one of their representatives. I explained to the guy why it appeared my location was somewhere else other than the billing address I listed.

He said that I had successfully verified my account and that he would tell them to reactivate it.

Well I got an update to my ticket, and they want me to pay another 7.96 to reactivate my account.

Here is what they said:

Hello,

Thanks for verifying your order with us. Since your first invoice was refunded pending your verification, please login to hostgator and pay the due invoice on your account. Once paid, please reply back so we can activate the account on the server.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Thank You,

Don G.

Sales Administrator

Hostgator

They are claiming my first invoice was refunded pending verification and that I need to log into billing and pay it before they reactivate my account.

However I have yet to see this refund, and I log into billing and get a nice surprise:

Total Invoices 2 $15.92

Total Paid 1 $7.96

Total Due [1] $7.96

Their billing is claiming I already paid the 7.96, now it seems they are trying to pull a fast one and tack on an additional $7.96 for a total of $15.92 before they reactivate my account which is double the cost of my normal plan.

I chose the baby plan at $7.96 a month, and they are trying to get me to pay another $7.96 .

So they refunded my account pending verification eh? I don't think so, seems like they are trying to bleed me for an additional $7.96 before they reactivate my account.

I replied again to the ticket and explained this to them and haven't heard anything in 3 - 5 hours.

So here I sit, unable to log into my ftp and control panel. I am however still able to access my discussion board which resides in a subdirectory but get a suspended message when I try to access my index page or my wiki page.

I don't have the money to justify forking over an additional $7.96 of my money for an apparent error in billing.

I signed up with them after hearing good things about them as well as fast servers and low page loading times, now I'm starting to think it wasn't such a good choice.

Also when calling to verify my account, they hung up on me a couple times before I was actually able to speak to anyone.

I think I would give them another call. Sounds like an error in billing and probably not intentional.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Posting here should help - hopefully one of the HostGator guys will be along shortly

This does seem like a break-down in communication, it doesn't look like they mean to bill customers twice if they need to be verified.

Hopefully they will see this particular case and cancel the current pending invoice. Best of luck to you, keep us posted!
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Thanks I appreciate your replies.

By the way, can't Webhostingtalk at least enable basic vbcode? My whole post is a mess above because I am not able to use the quote feature to quote key parts of my post and tidy it up a bit until I've made five posts.

Yea I'm having an issue with their billing too... their hosting is pretty good but their billing system is whack.

I'll give them a couple more days to resolve my problem before I post about it though.

BTW, checl your CC statememt in a few days...maybe they refunded you?

Wait, I got an update from their support team. They indeed said that they issued a refund and it will take 5 - 7 days to appear on my CC statement.

I'll go ahead and pay the $7.96, if the money will be back on my card in 5 - 7 days and I'm not actually being charged twice ($15.92)

I just got a bit scared, sorry if I wasted anyones time.

I didn't think HostGater being as large as they are would try and bleed someone for 7.95. Glad you resolved this issue, it's a shame refunds don't happen instantly though right.

<<Signature to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 05-03-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme2damax View Post
    By the way, can't Webhostingtalk at least enable basic vbcode? My whole post is a mess above because I am not able to use the quote feature to quote key parts of my post and tidy it up a bit until I've made five posts.
    vBcode is enabled. Something wrong with your browser? or is it your setting problem?

Code:
    vB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Wait, I got an update from their support team. They indeed said that they issued a refund and it will take 5 - 7 days to appear on my CC statement.

I'll go ahead and pay the $7.96, if the money will be back on my card in 5 - 7 days and I'm not actually being charged twice ($15.92)

I just got a bit scared, sorry if I wasted anyones time.
    Glad that your issue is settled.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

vBcode is enabled. Something wrong with your browser? or is it your setting problem?
    From the rules:

You must make five (5) posts before allowed by the system to include an active hyperlinked URL or other vB code features in your posts. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.

I paid the due $7.96 like I was supposed to, notified them via the ticket system that I had paid at around 8:00PM last night and requested my account be re-activated.

Still over 12 hours later and my account hasn't been re-activated with no further word from support.

From my experience HostGator will activate your account instantly and rather than doing their fraud prevention checks before they do this, they perform them manually afterwards. What ends up happening is that your account is activated, then billing reviews your account and suspends it and refunds your initial payment pending verification.

Once you verify your account and re-pay the intial invoice (since it was refunded) they will manually re-activate your account which could take (in my experience) anywhere from 12 to 24 hours.

It's really too bad that it works this way because anybody who has to verify their account ends up feeling/thinking the exact same thing you are, and if not for my experiences with friends and family and hosting in the past I would probably not be much wiser to the topic than you are.

I'm glad to see that you got it resolved in the end, sorry for my "rant" on Hostgator's practices, overall I think they're a great company, although some of their internal-workings could be a little more "organized".
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Yeah i think they are great so far other than this minor issue. Someone recommended them to me because of their fast servers and low page load times.

After they refunded the initial payment/invoice, I went ahead and paid the invoice to get my account reactivated. I then contacted them to inform them I paid it.

So I am awaiting my account to be reactivated.

What's weird is that even though my account is locked/suspended, I am still able to access my forum.

What's weird is that even though my account is locked/suspended, I am still able to access my forum.
    That sounds unusual to me - you might want to send a message to support[at]hostgator.com and tell them this, maybe somebody forgot to enable something in the process, mistakes do happen.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Do a ping to your forums url, i am sure its more or less dns issue than suspension issue.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Do a ping to your forums url, i am sure its more or less dns issue than suspension issue.

Cheers
    I am able to ping it successfully, and it returns that it pinging my hostgator account/ip address.

Ever since they locked my account I was still able to access my forums, however I was unable to access any other directories such as my wiki or my index page which returns a suspended page.

The ip that it pings when I rung a ping test is my hostgator ip for my account.

Have you tried contacting their support team about this?

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Have you tried contacting their support team about this?
    Yes, I have left two tickets both which are still unanswered as of yet.

If my account isn't unlocked by 8:00PM tonight I'll be phoning support or hitting them up on live chat.

(By "hitting them up" I mean talking to them, not literally hitting them up. It's slang. )

I am certain my account is locked, because they even stated it was pending verification. I guess they may have not seen my ticket yet informing them that I paid the remaining invoice.

Yes, I have left two tickets both which are still unanswered as of yet.

If my account isn't unlocked by 8:00PM tonight I'll be phoning support or hitting them up on live chat.

(By "hitting them up" I mean talking to them, not literally hitting them up. It's slang. )

I am certain my account is locked, because they even stated it was pending verification. I guess they may have not seen my ticket yet informing them that I paid the remaining invoice.
    Just remember not to bump the tickets as they will be placed at the bottom of the row if it is bump.