Envronmental Friendly Hosting?

I've been starting to see a little more emphasis on "green" hosting. I'm curious what exactly this would entail. Are there hosts that are using renewable energy sources such as solar and wind? Are some hosts more responsible about the way they dispose of old hardware? Which companies are leading the way?
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

I don't see how people can make web hosting "green", it's just idiots buying into it because its suddenly trendy to care about the environment.

It would be nice to see a host introduce an idea before it becomes a flavor of the week/month/year.

Eco-friendly hosting is definitely a good thing and hopefully all webhosts will go green one day, but as of now there aren't many choices when it comes to finding a host that is truly green and at the same time without uping the cost a lot.

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

some kind of official proof would be nice... just a host painting his servers green with lead-containing paint isn't sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    I don't see how people can make web hosting "green", it's just idiots buying into it because its suddenly trendy to care about the environment.

It would be nice to see a host introduce an idea before it becomes a flavor of the week/month/year.
    Quite the pessimist aren't you. I think you might want to check your attitude before you comment on things.

There are many hosts out there who are doing more than just buying carbon credits. Take a look at www.aiso.net who uses solar power for their data center and were doing it long before the green hosting craze started. It appears as if www.imountain.com has finally showed their solar panels as well.

Green hosting is a great idea and it can incorporate a number of things imho. Some of my thoughts would be:

-Energy efficient servers
    -Powering your data center with solar/hydro power
    -Using natural cooling during the winter
    -Letting staff telecommute or giving them bonuses for using hybrid cars
    -Buying carbon credits from reputable providers where you can verify where the money is going
    -Reducing paper consumption

I don't see how people can make web hosting "green", it's just idiots buying into it because its suddenly trendy to care about the environment

several of them.
    http://www.thinkhost.com/

Recent thread on the subject: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=686160

Certainly it's not something that got much attention 3-4 years ago.

Technology is still not there yet, but a combination of solar and normal electricity should help in the going green efforts. Here in Singapore I have not seen or heard of any such data centers which is a great pity.

rackspace says they have 8 DC that are...