[UK] Server for Colocation Hlp needed

Hi All,

I am very much new to hosting, I am planning to make my hands dirty by buying couple of server which can host one server with hits upto 10000 hits per day and another one to host to have shared hosting.

Could you please give some guidance about the type of server that I need to buy and I also need a good colocation service in london area which can offer 100 MBPS with unlimited bandwidth. (May be I am stupid here in asking about the bandwidth).

Regards
    Karthick

Quote Originally Posted by karthick_3d View Post
    Hi All,

I am very much new to hosting, I am planning to make my hands dirty by buying couple of server which can host one server with hits upto 10000 hits per day and another one to host to have shared hosting.

Could you please give some guidance about the type of server that I need to buy and I also need a good colocation service in london area which can offer 100 MBPS with unlimited bandwidth. (May be I am stupid here in asking about the bandwidth).

Regards
    Karthick
    10000 hit Server:
    (1) A good CPU (the stronger the better (quad core))
    (2) a lot of RAM (should be fast, too)
    (3) NIC´s from Intel or 3COM
    (4) lighttpd webserver instead of apache
    (5) at least 1200 € a month for the "unlimited 100Mbit" line
    (6) experience and a lot of work :-)
    I doub that it is enough to run a 10000 hit server /day with one 100Mbit line.
    But that depends on the sites/customers/content.

Shared hosting: Depends pretty much of the software you will be use, how many vhosts you gonna put in it and how your customers will behave (file downloads, java scripts etc).

Hope it helps a bit.
    Cheers.

Thanks osopolis,

Actually the site belongs to my friend, Since he is paying loads of money, I am planning to try hosting for him. If the unlimited account is so costly, I would go for Colocation for now. But I was not sure If the bandwidth I get will be sufficient.
    Regarding the Server I am planning to buy Dell server with a budget of around £ 800.00. Is there any other server that I can try for cheap rate?

Thumbs up Great Work!!!

Hi karthick, Its really good idea. Best of luck.

Go for RAID and hot swap disks, if something goes wrong with a drive then it's a very easy matter to get remote hands staff to swap a fresh disk in. Supermicro or HP would be good alternatives to Dell for this.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

I could serve 10,000 hits per day off of my iPhone, so spec really isn't going to be all that much of an issue and neither is bandwidth - unless those 10,000 hits are for large files i.e. videos.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

UK Colocation:
    http://gbservers.co.uk/index.php?id=colocation

Thier DC is the BlueSquare Datacenter, Maidenhead, UK
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

I'd recommend Rapidswitch or poundhost for colo, most other people have these problems

a) out of budget (I guess budget is an issue here)
    b) small company - not a bad thing but means you'll probably be paying more
    c) resellers - no rackspace themselves, simply reselling a product
    d) support - even simple reboot requests may have to be passed between 3-4 companies and this could mean a reboot could take hours.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by karthick_3d View Post
    100 MBPS with unlimited bandwidth
    If its on a 100Mb/s network connection, its not going to be *unlimited* bandwidth is it

I guess you mean *unmetered*

If you really are going to be using 100Mb/s, expect to be paying ~£1000/month for your colo and bandwidth - you might want to rethink your numbers before signing up.

Regarding the server - cheap != good, you need to think about power consumption (which will equate to lower running costs each month and longer life expectancy) and redundancy (raid drives etc)
    The r300 Dell's are ok, if you're on a budget, the new version of the 1950's are significantly more reliable, faster, higher-quality though.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules