Client Situation

Hello,
    Just looking for some advice, how can i make a clients website "unavailable" without having the "suspension notice" posted on the site...im using cpanel.
    Thing is the site owner, paid a middleman for her site and the middleman hasnt finished paying us for long now. So we want to take the site down but not have the suspension notice on it, is this possible...or anyother suggestions?

Hi!
    Down in which way? you can change the password of the account and set a temporary index.
    Last edited by Jedito; 05-02-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I was just about to mention that you can setup a temporary index instead.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Hit terminate and it will go down !

if i put a temporary index page, the other links will still be active..i guess in their browsing history..so its a matter of jumping the index page...and they are in...you know// if i hit terminate..errrr. i would loose everything though right? i also dont want to modify our suspension page bse this is a very temporary situation..

If you don't want to modify your suspension page, then change all of their passwords (control panel & ftp), move all of the content under public_html to a temporary directory, and put up your own index.html with whatever you want to say.

mkdir /home/user/public_html.bak
    cd /home/user/public_html
    mv * /home/user/public_html.bak
    touch index.html

Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Hello,
    Just looking for some advice, how can i make a clients website "unavailable" without having the "suspension notice" posted on the site...im using cpanel.
    Thing is the site owner, paid a middleman for her site and the middleman hasnt finished paying us for long now. So we want to take the site down but not have the suspension notice on it, is this possible...or anyother suggestions?
    You can try changing the main domain of that specific domain and his site will become unavailable. You can do that if you click modify account in the whm.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

I don't know all of the details of the entire situation but it sounds like both you and your client are getting shafted, but in reality the agreement for your services is between you and your client. Your client probably needs to be the one talking to the middleman. I would probably contact the client and the middleman if possible and try to work it out.

I don't know what putting up a temp index would do beyond contacting the client, unless you are unable to contact the client for some reason.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

You can try to add to the .htaccess a mod_rewrite rule to redirect everything to the index too. In that way no matter if they go to a different page, they are going to be redirected to the index that you have created.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

i believe the website owner fully paid the middleman, im not so sure whether i should contact the website owner bse the contract was with the middleman..unless ofcourse she will call us if she cannot access the site..then we will have to break the news to her..hmm!

Just contact her saying payment is due and site will be suspended in 48 hrs if not paid in full. CC same to middle man too.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Just contact her saying payment is due and site will be suspended in 48 hrs if not paid in full. CC same to middle man too.

Cheers
    SHE IS GOING TO TRIP BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY SHE HAS TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON

You shouldn't even be talking to her, other than to tell her you don't give out information on your customers.

Chmod the public_html so that its inaccessible and change the account password.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    You shouldn't even be talking to her, other than to tell her you don't give out information on your customers.
    As someone whose business is not primarily hosting (although I do a fair amount of it), I'd have to totally disagree with Tina's statement.

I'm assuming this "middleman" set up his client's web site with you. I deal with these roving hustlers from time to time, trying to peel them off my own clients.

If I'm getting what you're saying, the end-user of your services is someone who has contracted a 3rd party to (probably) design and find hosting for her site. He's now gone, with whatever funds she paid him, and you're not getting paid.

People use the cliche', "The customer is always right." I prefer to say, "The customer should always be happy." Granted, this woman isn't your direct customer, but she does depend on your services.

You seem to be trying to find a "nice way" of suspending her service, which is admirable. Instead, how about trying this: contact her, and tell her the situation. Not pleasant, but offer her a solution - if she pays you directly (at probably a significant discount over what she was originally quoted), perhaps in installments, you can arrange to keep the site up and running. In the mean time, she can persue legal action against this person for ripping her off.

You keep money coming in, and she keeps her site up. Additionally, she will probably be happy that you didn't nuke her site. Ask her to recommend your services to her business associates. Rather than losing money, you may find that for a few minutes of consideration you'll actually make more money.
    Scott Gardner - Agile' Marketing Services

Ask about my upcoming book:
    Profitable Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by AgileMktg View Post
    As someone whose business is not primarily hosting (although I do a fair amount of it), I'd have to totally disagree with Tina's statement.

I'm assuming this "middleman" set up his client's web site with you. I deal with these roving hustlers from time to time, trying to peel them off my own clients.

If I'm getting what you're saying, the end-user of your services is someone who has contracted a 3rd party to (probably) design and find hosting for her site. He's now gone, with whatever funds she paid him, and you're not getting paid.

People use the cliche', "The customer is always right." I prefer to say, "The customer should always be happy." Granted, this woman isn't your direct customer, but she does depend on your services.

You seem to be trying to find a "nice way" of suspending her service, which is admirable. Instead, how about trying this: contact her, and tell her the situation. Not pleasant, but offer her a solution - if she pays you directly (at probably a significant discount over what she was originally quoted), perhaps in installments, you can arrange to keep the site up and running. In the mean time, she can persue legal action against this person for ripping her off.

You keep money coming in, and she keeps her site up. Additionally, she will probably be happy that you didn't nuke her site. Ask her to recommend your services to her business associates. Rather than losing money, you may find that for a few minutes of consideration you'll actually make more money.

...and then the REAL customer shows up and sues the host for giving away his data/files/hardwork to this woman who never paid him for his work, which is why he stopped paying for the hosting in the first place.

That's just ONE of many reasons not to go around giving out your customers' information and files to whoever asks for them.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

...and then the REAL customer shows up and sues the host for giving away his data/files/hardwork to this woman who never paid him for his work, which is why he stopped paying for the hosting in the first place.

That's just ONE of many reasons not to go around giving out your customers' information and files to whoever asks for them.

--Tina
    I agreed in 100%. You should give access to the files ONLY to your direct customer.

Swatting flies?

--Tina
    Who said anything about giving out information or files?

I understand that a true hosting business could have a "volume is king" attitude, and that shutting off one of thousands of sites you host is like swatting a fly. "Who cares? It doesn't hurt me, and there are millions more flys anyway."

Okay, the possibility exists (and we don't know) that the end user didn't pay the "middleman" but again, if I read correctly, he's not returning contact attempts either. So why not spend 5 minutes trying to 1) save an existing account and 2) possibly earn more business by being a nice person?

Profitable Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by AgileMktg View Post
    Who said anything about giving out information or files?

I understand that a true hosting business could have a "volume is king" attitude, and that shutting off one of thousands of sites you host is like swatting a fly. "Who cares? It doesn't hurt me, and there are millions more flys anyway."

Okay, the possibility exists (and we don't know) that the end user didn't pay the "middleman" but again, if I read correctly, he's not returning contact attempts either. So why not spend 5 minutes trying to 1) save an existing account and 2) possibly earn more business by being a nice person?
    By giving this woman access to the original customer's account/website, you are giving out information and files.

This isn't about "volume is king" attitude. This is about "people like to sue" attitude. Sorry, but I can't let emotions get in the way of protecting my business - which not only my family depends on, but so do those of my staff and my other customers.

--Tina

These are the bear facts: The "middleman" is a publisher who creates these packages for his clients(writers)..and in the package it includes a website, we dont know how much these packages are and we are not really concerned. The "middleman" normally lets us speak to their client to discuss website details..but we get our checks from the middle man(bse we give them a substantial discount), once the site is complete its the site owner who will then contact us to change things etc down the road..But we are so tired!! His payments are very irregular and hard to collect. We are convinced their client has paid them in full bse they normally have book signings and are always eager for the website launch. I really dont want to speak to the website owner but want to "politely pull her site down" and should she contact me i will have to refer her to the middleman, who knows that he owes us $. Im not sure if suspending the account via cpanel will destroy our relationship with her...its not her fault and she has already sent two inquiries for website to us bse she loves her site..so ...hmmmm!

The "middleman" normally lets us speak to their client to discuss website details..
    For what possible reason?

--Tina

For what possible reason?

--Tina
    like..what pages they need etc..i think chmod the public_html is what i may do bse..as we speak i dont know...she could easily download her site ..as back up ...and may not loose anything..!

like..what pages they need etc..
    Isn't that what your client is supposed to do?

"The "middleman" is a publisher who creates these packages for his clients(writers)..and in the package it includes a website"

--Tina

there you go!

By giving this woman access to the original customer's account/website, you are giving out information and files.
    Well. . . 1st of all, no-one (myself or any of the other posters that I can see) ever said anything about giving her access to his client's account. The gentleman's point was that he wanted to get paid for his hosting services, not sell her the code she may or may not (depending on the contract with the middleman) already be entitled to.

2nd - all sites posted on the Web are freely accessable anyway. (Except for those that are somehow obfuscated.) If she's savvy enough to have run a scam contracting some guy to design a site, then not paying him but getting use of it anyway, she's probably already sucked down the site with one of a million off-line readers.

This isn't about "volume is king" attitude. This is about "people like to sue" attitude. Sorry, but I can't let emotions get in the way of protecting my business - which not only my family depends on, but so do those of my staff and my other customers.

--Tina
    I don't want to get sued nor, I'm sure, does this gentleman. However much emotion doesn't play into your business decisions (and I applaud you for that, actually), he's already shown empathy for the end user of the site, and remorse for thinking of blocking it.

He's legally entitled to get paid for his hosting services (and only those services). If he's already spent this much time agonizing over the decision, and if he's following the multiple pages of comments his question engendered, then why not spend 5 minutes trying to get paid? Then, if his client, and his client's client, both say "no" then he can nuke them and not worry about not putting up a "suspended" page.

You probably think I'm a bleeding heart liberal (or some other perjorative term for wimp). Actually, I had a client who refused to sign a contract with me, yet insisted I register a URL, create a site, host it, provide additional marketing services. Then they didn't want to pay me. I sent e-mails, and dunning letters via certified mail. When they refused to answer me, I suspended the site on the day promised, and had no qualms doing it.

That got several phone calls, filled with foul language, demanding that I turn "their" site back on. When I pointed out (as I had in the letters) that it was MY site - I owned the URL, and the code, and the hosting space - and that they'd get it when they paid me the $2K plus they owed me, they "showed me" by hiring some other guy to host & build a site. Screwed him over, too.

In the end, Tina, this is not your customer, or even mine. It's his. We've given him advice (as have a dozen other people) and I'd like to see what he decides, and what shakes out.

Profitable Web Hosting

Isn't that what your client is supposed to do?

"The "middleman" is a publisher who creates these packages for his clients(writers)..and in the package it includes a website"

--Tina
    He publishes books for clients.. and in the book deal includes the website but since he is not so familiar with webterms he gives us the option to speak to the website owner on what they want..ive talked to something about this and they said they may still have access to cpanel even if the public_html is chmod.. as the password can be reset with the email address on file..he is suggesting i change the email address on the server too in relation to that account.

in the end, ive changed the cpanel email address, password and chmod the directory her website is in, when she contacts us, i will refer her to the middleman and explain our situation well., note that the hosting bill is in good standard its just that the bill to design the site has not been completely paid off.

AN UPDATE ON THIS CLIENT SITUATION:
    **Well, we spoke with the client and we had to make a tough decision! We ended up reinstating her hosting account and website and sent her a maintenance agreement ie that she accepts to pay us maintenance fees for changes etc, and also that we will not hold her responsible for what the middleman owes**
    **The middleman has a couple of websites with us of which he frequently requires updates etc, we have banned doing any more work with him until his bill is paid**We have pretty much cut our ties with him

###Thanks for any advice i got from here###